Author Topic: Another school shooting  (Read 502475 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Another school shooting
« Reply #7650 on: April 11, 2023, 02:13:40 PM »
cars get taken away for infractions all the time. Usually for improper storage!

because the vehicle is left unattended on public property.  analogous to police taking custody of a gun left lying on a sidewalk.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: April 11, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »
Not to mention civil asset forfeiture!

treated the same as any other property.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: April 11, 2023, 02:25:48 PM »
Licenses also get taken away all the time for things like DUIs, reckless driving, etc. I'd imagine we would stop a lot of murders with small arms if we took guns away for domestic violence like we take drivers licenses away for drunk driving.

licenses get taken away, but cars do not.

cars get taken away for infractions all the time. Usually for improper storage!

Not to mention civil asset forfeiture!

It’s harder to lose a car in a boating accident
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: April 11, 2023, 05:58:52 PM »
lol I think he's serious

Imma just let him cook, just a wild ass take.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: April 11, 2023, 06:07:33 PM »
Nearly every case is "maximized liberty" in this country benefits the few and comes at the expense of large groups of people. We've yet to deal with the isims that this country was founded on. We literally have a case right not where a man was legally carrying a gun and he was murdered by someone who was looking to kill a man just because he didn't like the fact that supported black people. The man said he was going to kill someone and the governor called to pardon him after he spent 24 hours in prison.

Maximized liberty is a cop out from taking care of social issues we've yet to address.

i don't see any connection between the example you mention and maximizing liberty.

I literally gave you an example, if you don't want to see it, that's fine. Maximized liberty isn't a thing and can't be a thing until systematic oppression is addressed. You walking down the street with an AK-47 will be looked at significantly and treated significantly different that a Somali-American with a shemagh on his head.

Maximized liberty is a fantasy world like libertarianism.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: April 11, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »
I literally gave you an example, if you don't want to see it, that's fine. Maximized liberty isn't a thing and can't be a thing until systematic oppression is addressed.

complete nonsense.  essentially gibberish.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: April 11, 2023, 07:47:14 PM »
They already do take guns away for domestic violence.

How does this even work if we don't register guns? How do the police even know how many guns they need to confiscate, or if you even have any?
How do they know the person driving that car has a liscence/insurance?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: April 11, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
The answer is obviously they don’t know. Even if they did, police aren’t typically in the habit of forcibly confiscating guns.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: April 11, 2023, 10:03:28 PM »
I literally gave you an example, if you don't want to see it, that's fine. Maximized liberty isn't a thing and can't be a thing until systematic oppression is addressed.

complete nonsense.  essentially gibberish.

cool.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: April 11, 2023, 11:01:40 PM »

So they are not enforcing a law that is already in place.  That's the thing, a lot of laws that you guys are advocating for are already in place.  There are laws in place to prevent anyone with a felony from purchasing or being in possession of a firearm.  There are laws in place to prevent anyone convicted of a domestic violence crime from purchasing or being in possession of a firearm.  Back ground checks?  Every gun purchased through an authorized dealer requires a background check.  Gun registry?  Every gun purchased through an authorized dealer is registered.  Fully automatic firearms?  Illegal to own unless you possess a special FFL.  Obtaining this FFL is a very arduous and expensive process.  Having a firearm on school property?  In ks, its Illegal unless you have a CCL even though Ks is a right to carry state.  Ge wants to compare regulating guns to regulating cars.  Steve Dave's dad could buy a vehicle with no title from an individual, never tag it, never insure it, and only use it to do farm chores around the home place.  If it never leaves the property, nobody knows about it.  When high school Steve Dave decides to take it for a joy ride and play chicken with an SUV carrying a family of 6 resulting in the SUV driving off a bridge killing all on board, what additional laws would have prevented this?  Honestly, most gun owners are not opposed to reasonable gun regulation.  The reason they dig their heels in is because they know that there is no middle ground with the anti gun crowd.  They will not stop until America has been completely disarmed. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: April 11, 2023, 11:10:55 PM »

They will not stop until America has been completely disarmed.

Hey man, don't tempt me with a good time!

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: April 11, 2023, 11:30:49 PM »
Hey I get it.  Guns mean nothing to you and that's ok.  They are an evil tool.  To a large segment of America though, guns do mean something.   I can tell you that hunting was/is a key element of my upbringing.   My family still gets together for hunts.  Guns are valued in my family.   Some of my most coveted possessions are firearms that have been passed down to me by ancestors who are now deceased.  Most of them are not overly valuable in a monetary sense, but they are irreplaceable to me.  For some people, their guns were the most valuable items they possessed, so when they are passed down, it really means something.   Again, I realize that none of this means crap to you and you'd just as soon see these family heirlooms be thrown on the Aggie bonfire, but this is why you see resistance to any real discussion on gun control.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: April 11, 2023, 11:36:06 PM »
Hey I get it.  Guns mean nothing to you and that's ok.  They are an evil tool.  To a large segment of America though, guns do mean something.   I can tell you that hunting was/is a key element of my upbringing.   My family still gets together for hunts.  Guns are valued in my family.   Some of my most coveted possessions are firearms that have been passed down to me by ancestors who are now deceased.  Most of them are not overly valuable in a monetary sense, but they are irreplaceable to me.  For some people, their guns were the most valuable items they possessed, so when they are passed down, it really means something.   Again, I realize that none of this means crap to you and you'd just as soon see these family heirlooms be thrown on the Aggie bonfire, but this is why you see resistance to any real discussion on gun control.

Because you won't accept any modest measures, since the inevitable end game to you is full confiscation? How about we start with a completely voluntary gun buyback program.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: April 11, 2023, 11:55:31 PM »
I never said I wouldn't accept modest measures.  I simply pointed out what you're up against and why.  As far as a voluntary buy back program goes, who's funding it?  Am I paying to buy back my own gun that I have already paid sales tax on once?  Are we buying back at market price or original purchase price?  Some guns are purchased as a financial investment.  If the anti gun group is going to get together and fund this buy back at absolutely no cost to the tax payer (this includes paying for the resources to recover and dispose of the firearms) then yeah, I have no problem with a voluntary buy back.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:22:38 AM by schreds21 »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: April 12, 2023, 12:00:36 AM »
Where is this gun registry you're talking about? Who can search it?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7665 on: April 12, 2023, 12:19:32 AM »
I do not know who can access a "gun registry ".  I do not know that a "gun registry" exists in the form that you may be envisioning.  What I do know is that ethe serial number of every firearm I've ever purchased is recorded by the FFL that I've received the firearm from and that accompanies my background check.  The record of that transaction is recorded somewhere.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: April 12, 2023, 05:16:13 AM »
Honestly, most gun owners are not opposed to reasonable gun regulation.

What are some examples of what you would consider reasonable gun regulation?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: April 12, 2023, 09:37:33 AM »
I don't think anyone has ever suggested that the govt. confiscate antique firearms and hunting rifles.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: April 12, 2023, 09:52:14 AM »
I don't think anyone has ever suggested that the govt. confiscate antique firearms and hunting rifles.

Of course not but when you need to argue that everyone who is pissed off at being fired should be able to go easily get an AR type rifle and 1000 rounds you can't really say that.  You need to pretend that there are people who want outlaw the 12 gauge mossberg your grandpa used to shoot pheasants otherwise you look like a psycho

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: April 12, 2023, 10:06:56 AM »
AR-15 platform has to go.  Guy in Louisville used one he purchased legally.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: April 12, 2023, 10:59:07 AM »

So they are not enforcing a law that is already in place.  That's the thing, a lot of laws that you guys are advocating for are already in place.  There are laws in place to prevent anyone with a felony from purchasing or being in possession of a firearm.  There are laws in place to prevent anyone convicted of a domestic violence crime from purchasing or being in possession of a firearm.  Back ground checks?  Every gun purchased through an authorized dealer requires a background check.  Gun registry?  Every gun purchased through an authorized dealer is registered.  Fully automatic firearms?  Illegal to own unless you possess a special FFL.  Obtaining this FFL is a very arduous and expensive process.  Having a firearm on school property?  In ks, its Illegal unless you have a CCL even though Ks is a right to carry state.  Ge wants to compare regulating guns to regulating cars.  Steve Dave's dad could buy a vehicle with no title from an individual, never tag it, never insure it, and only use it to do farm chores around the home place.  If it never leaves the property, nobody knows about it.  When high school Steve Dave decides to take it for a joy ride and play chicken with an SUV carrying a family of 6 resulting in the SUV driving off a bridge killing all on board, what additional laws would have prevented this?  Honestly, most gun owners are not opposed to reasonable gun regulation.  The reason they dig their heels in is because they know that there is no middle ground with the anti gun crowd.  They will not stop until America has been completely disarmed.

A lot of these laws aren't in place in a lot of places.  As you point out, background checks and registry only apply through an authorized dealer.  A lot of places allow domestic violence offenders weapons and don't have red flag laws.  Republicans are trying to put more guns on school property as a solution. 

The disarmament of America is a red herring that the gun lobby sells.  Dem's have consistently voted for reasonable regulation in your middle ground.  They may fight for more restrictions than you approve of on occasion, but they're not the ones opposing common sense gun laws.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another school shooting
« Reply #7671 on: April 12, 2023, 11:15:12 AM »
Opposing reasonable gun regulations on the basis that the other side is “just going to ask for more” is even a dumber justification than owning the libs.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: April 12, 2023, 12:02:30 PM »
for being the party that is super duper concerned about the safety of our children, its strange to me that the GOP has no interest/political will to tackle the thing that is the leading cause of death of children.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: April 12, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
I do not know who can access a "gun registry ".  I do not know that a "gun registry" exists in the form that you may be envisioning.  What I do know is that ethe serial number of every firearm I've ever purchased is recorded by the FFL that I've received the firearm from and that accompanies my background check.  The record of that transaction is recorded somewhere.

That's what I figured but thought maybe there is something I'm unaware of. Kind of disingenuous to portray that as a gun registry but you also think people are going to come in your home and take grandpappy's hunting rifle.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: April 12, 2023, 01:09:03 PM »
Ban assault rifles and high capacity magazines, bump stocks and anything else that can make weapons deadlier or more dangerous.  Voluntary buy backs, waiting periods and background checks.

Not a gun guy but would seem very reasonable to restrict ammo that is high velocity that makes a single bullet wound an absolute death sentence.

What's the legal test on banning ammunition?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:28:23 PM by Cire »