Author Topic: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 170349 times)

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
DEVELOPING STORY - Sources: Louisville's Charlie Strong has emerged as front-runner to become next head coach at Tennessee.

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
How much truth were there in Sean Synder to Idaho rumors?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
How much truth were there in Sean Synder to Idaho rumors?

Zero.  They wanted Cox (UofI alum).

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
Their fans were absolutely giddy with 3rd in the division last year.  Of course they want to beat Bama and LSU, but a coach could stay their a long time while consistently getting beat by them.  If a coach beats each once every 5 years and finishes with 8 to 10 win seasons, he would be just fine.

And very, very wealthy.

catzacker

« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »
DEVELOPING STORY - Sources: Louisville's Charlie Strong has emerged as front-runner to become next head coach at Tennessee.

this upsets me.  i wanted him to stay at UL and then meltdown about not getting him when bill retired.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »

He's a socially awkward weirdo, the small stage of TCU is perfect for him.  He can (and has) completely hide in DFW, they don't care.  TCU is literally like 8th-10th in the sports conscience of that town.  He's shooting up with a bullet with the NHL lockout, grats for the stroke of luck frogs.

That being said, who gives a flying eff?  Why should we have to suffer with daily TCU non-updates because their message boards suck?
:bawl: i thought you guys liked me

What makes you think MIR doesn't like you?

B...b.....b...*deep breath* because he was mean to me about whether people care about TCU

I don't like you, TCU guy.  GMFP sounds trashy and calling Texas UTerus is lame.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »

this upsets me.  i wanted him to stay at UL and then meltdown about not getting him when bill retired.

I don't think Charlie Strong is a good hire, sad Tennessee is going to get out done by Arkansas.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »

I don't think Charlie Strong is a good hire, sad Tennessee is going to get out done by Arkansas.

why not?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
I don't know if Strong is a good hire or not.  I don't think he ever exceeded any expectations at Louisville.  He kept them about right where they should be, maybe a bit lower seeing as how WV is gone this year.

Not sure about Malzahn either for that matter.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »

why not?
Under the impression that Louisville is the by far best Job(football wise) in the big east and I think he has been really solid their but not special. To win at a high level at a mid level BCS job you need to be special at you fcs or Big East job.

*BCS excludes the BIG EAST because they are pud

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

why not?
Under the impression that Louisville is the by far best Job(football wise) in the big east and I think he has been really solid their but not special. To win at a high level at a mid level BCS job you need to be special at you fcs or Big East job.

Charlie strong is and will continue to be a very good coach. He's building sustained success at UL (they will be even better next year) and will do the same at UT if this happens. Seriously, great hire by them

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Strong took over a Louisville program that Kragthorpe was slowly driving into the ground, led them to a couple so-so season, then had a good, 10-win year by winning a lot of close games.  Kragthorpe left him classes that were evenly split between 2 and 3 stars, so not a lot of talent.  You have to give him respect for winning 10 close games against teams with similar talent this season.  That's what sticks out to me.  Multiple people have said that Tennessee is loaded with talent.  Strong is what they need right now, someone who knows how to win close games to start building back up the record.  Is he a home-run hire? No, but who would be?   Besides Gundy, the only  other realistic coach that would have been a home-run hire from a successful, major program is David Shaw, but Shaw doesn't have any recruiting ties in the south.

Sidenote: I looked up Shaw and Strong and assumed Shaw was older.  Nope, Shaw is 12 years younger. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 04, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

why not?

yeah he hasn't been eye poppingly amazing there, but some think that he was rebuilding

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
Larry Fedora is one of the final candidates for Tennessee. The other two are (alledgedly) Strong and Gundy.

Purdue hires Kent State's coach, Darrell Hazell.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 04, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »
Bielma news is shocking to me, what are the odds he's trying for a mega contract from uw?

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Surprised I haven't heard Taggart's name more, or maybe I just haven't read the relevant articles

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
Surprised I haven't heard Taggart's name more, or maybe I just haven't read the relevant articles

when did he quit the beverly hills PD?

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #392 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »

when did he quit the beverly hills PD?

This guy  :thumbs:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:54 PM »

why not?

yeah he hasn't been eye poppingly amazing there, but some think that he was rebuilding

Is it debatable that he was rebuilding? Louisville had kinda fallen off the map there for awhile. Not K-state football circa '89 fallen off the map, but maybe k-state ron prince era 08' fallen off the map. Strong came in and did his best Snyder impression by bringing steady improvement every year. I was impressed watching them play Rutgers

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
Bielma news is shocking to me, what are the odds he's trying for a mega contract from uw?

He tried too hard because he signed the contract.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »
Larry Fedora is one of the final candidates for Tennessee. The other two are (alledgedly) Strong and Gundy.

Purdue just made the best hire.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »

Yeah, no

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

Yeah, no

Wrong again, Kimmy.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »
Am I the only one who think Arkansas is a lateral move for Bielema?

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »
Am I the only one who think Arkansas is a lateral move for Bielema?

If by lateral you mean backwards then, yes.