Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread  (Read 34524 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
I was a little bit surprised that Mitt went after Obama so hard for taking measures to reduce the federal deficit. He's all but saying that when he's president, he's going to spend more than Obama.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
i thought Obama won easily.   :dunno:

how so?

because i agree with what he said?   :dunno:

That isn't how you score a debate.

do tell, john "teach me how to" dougie.

Style and refutation count. Obama had very little of both. Just seemed to read off liberal blog points.

so you say that mitt won because you agreed with him and didn't like what Obama said.  Gotcha.   :thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
i really don't get into politics so somebody explain this to me...

the republicans seem to hate the federal government and federal government spending but they also seem to fully support DoD and pretty much giving them a blank check. i don't get it. what am i not getting?

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »

the republicans seem to hate the federal government and federal government spending but they also seem to fully support DoD and pretty much giving them a blank check. i don't get it. what am i not getting?

It's the great GOP hypocrisy

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »
Cut spending, cut spending, send a man to Mars, cut spending....

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

It's the great GOP hypocrisy

Pretty much, but I think it's more complicated than that.

Lots of DOD spending goes to the private sector, high paying science and engineering jobs (kinda like NBAF).  And, like NASA or whatever, the public does benefit from technologies developed in DOD research grants and contracts.  Like the technology in Wii or XBOX Kinect, that was DOD money.  That's just an example, take it FWIW.

Secondly, DOD spending does a lot to make sure that the US dollar remains the world's default currency.  You can do your own research but if we weren't spending so much there, there's a better chance the USD loses it's prominence.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
USD will lose its prominence thanks to Ben Bernanke. DOD spending just ends in more bombs over Baghdad. Republicans love bombing brown people

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
USD will lose its prominence thanks to Ben Bernanke. DOD spending just ends in more bombs over Baghdad. Republicans love bombing brown people
Obama is the one bombing brown people. :opcat:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

I know, but Republicans just eat that crap up

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
Yes, one of Romney's chief complaints is that Obama is not bombing enough brown people.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
so nobody has still explained it. i mean, romney brings up cutting federal funding to freaking pbs in a national debate, but would have no problem giving DoD whatever they want and pubs cheer nationwide.

i don't get it. admittedly, i'm insanely dumb about this so tell me what i'm not getting. i'm sure there's plenty.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
so nobody has still explained it. i mean, romney brings up cutting federal funding to freaking pbs in a national debate, but would have no problem giving DoD whatever they want and pubs cheer nationwide.

i don't get it. admittedly, i'm insanely dumb about this so tell me what i'm not getting. i'm sure there's plenty.

I should have elaborated. This issue is "THE Great GOP Hypocrisy"

There's nothing to get, because it's nonsense.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

there isn't a coherent logical underpinning to either the dems or the pubs collection of policy preferences.  think of it more like a randomly shuffled deck of policy cards that each side got dealt.  each card is believed independently and doesn't require logical consistency with the other cards in their hand.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
Yes, one of Romney's chief complaints is that Obama is not bombing enough brown people.

Seems odd considering Obama is bombing the bad ones and the ones who just happen to not run fast enough. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
I was a little bit surprised that Mitt went after Obama so hard for taking measures to reduce the federal deficit. He's all but saying that when he's president, he's going to spend more than Obama.

When did he say that last night?  Shoot me the link

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

You don't know much aboput politics.  it's ok bud.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »

there isn't a coherent logical underpinning to either the dems or the pubs collection of policy preferences.  think of it more like a randomly shuffled deck of policy cards that each side got dealt.  each card is believed independently and doesn't require logical consistency with the other cards in their hand.

thanks. maybe that's why i just don't really pay attention to politics. the inconsistencies would drive me absolutely insane. prob better off not thinking about it and focusing on travel, points, etc instead.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:13:46 PM by rick daris »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
These debates are a bullshit farce without my girl jill on stage.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »

When did he say that last night?  Shoot me the link

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/romney-takes-medicare-fight-obama_653564.html

http://nation.time.com/2012/10/04/debating-military-matters/

Spending less on an entitlement like medicare just seems like it would be a position republicans favor to me, and why on earth would we not cut defense spending when we are winding down 2 wars? Romney wants to provide 4% of the GDP to the DOD, which would increase their budget by $2 trillion.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »

The only advantage I saw to Obama getting elected was to end the war in Afghanistan (Bush had already implemented a plan to withdraw from Iraq).

Obama could have just ended it when he first took office as he promised during his campaign, and then he had a golden opportunity after they capped OBL to say "We accomplished our goal, we are out of here!".  I guess he just likes bombing brown people. :opcat:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »

The only advantage I saw to Obama getting elected was to end the war in Afghanistan (Bush had already implemented a plan to withdraw from Iraq).

Obama could have just ended it when he first took office as he promised during his campaign, and then he had a golden opportunity after they capped OBL to say "We accomplished our goal, we are out of here!".  I guess he just likes bombing brown people. :opcat:

Well yeah clearly Barry has some sick obsession with bombing brown people with robots. Why dont Rs give him credit though? His foreign policy is exactly what they want it to be, but the Rs wont give Barry credit because he has a (D) next to his name and hes black

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »

You don't know much aboput politics.  it's ok bud.

i like obama, i don't like romney.   :dunno:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »

Well yeah clearly Barry has some sick obsession with bombing brown people with robots. Why dont Rs give him credit though? His foreign policy is exactly what they want it to be, but the Rs wont give Barry credit because he has a (D) next to his name and hes black

This is pretty hypocritical.  Obama absolutely wears them (foreign brown people) out.  He bombs the ever living crap out of them.  Civilians, kids, women, all bombed by drones in the middle of the night, but the republicans just ignore it.  And when he invaded Pakistan and executed OBL, they were all "yawn"...but he invaded another country and killed some unarmed brown people!  It is crap

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

Obama's media has made the war in Afghanistan a non-issue for everyone. Outta sight, outta mind. 4 years ago, it was story #1 every day, now it's blurbs on page 22.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

Obama's media has made the war in Afghanistan a non-issue for everyone. Outta sight, outta mind. 4 years ago, it was story #1 every day, now it's blurbs on page 22.

Yeah, it's sickening. I would vote for Mitt if he wanted to withdraw all of our troops from Afghanistan and cut the defense budget.