Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323949 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #850 on: October 21, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
The medical industry is monopolized by the FDA, people. Has nothing to do with Dr. salaries.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »
Doctors salaries are high because the cost of malpractice insurance is astronomical. Its hilarious that in obamacare's 2500 pages there is no limits put on malpractice compensation. That's what happens when ambulance chasers write the law.

Overall annual medical liability system costs, including defensive medicine, are estimated to be $55.6 billion in 2008 dollars, or 2.4 percent of total health care spending.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3048809/
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 21, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
lol if you think doctor salaries have hardly anything to do the huge cost of healthcare.

no one will ever be able to afford a hamburger if the minimum wage is raised a couple bucks and the salaries of medical personnel have nothing to do with the cost of medical care.  it's perfectly logical.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
Having enough medical schools so that anyone can become a doctor might not be a good thing.  I would prefer that only the best get into doctor school and eventually cut me open.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 21, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Having enough medical schools so that anyone can become a doctor might not be a good thing.  I would prefer that only the best get into doctor school and eventually cut me open.

making people think like this is the most effective way the ama has maintained us medical salaries at 2x that of the rest of the developed world.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 21, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
I know a lot of people (mostly girls) who wanted to be doctors but because of the rigorous admission standards, they were not able to get into med school.   People should be thankful for that.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »

Is this a terry pierce analogy?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 21, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Odd, a whole bunch of insurers are canceling policies due to ObamaCare. I guess they're all reading "the law" wrong. Chum should explain to them that all these mandates actually took effect years ago.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/10/18/205847/for-thousands-keeping-your-old.html

Good catch.  That's one of many inaccuracies in that misleading article.

I know, right? Where do they keep finding all these liars who claim to have sent/received cancellation notices? Probably a bunch of Republican activists.

Policies get cancelled every year for a variety of business related reasons.  One thing we should definitely do, though, is expect that the people talking about this are citing the correct reasons and not just confused.  Much like the people on this board, they wouldn't talk about something if they didn't truly know what they were talking about.

I couldn't agree more. Clearly, the people who are receiving the cancellation letters are just dumbasses. But all the insurance people who are claiming Obamacare is the reason for the cancellations.... why are they lying?! I guess because they're evil, but it's still sad, you know? Shouldn't you pen a few op-eds to set the record straight? Somebody's gotta stand up for the truth!

I just said lots of people are confused.  Why do you think policyholders are dumbasses and insurance people are liars?

You're right, all these insurance professionals quoted in the articles are just "confused." You know better, Chum.  :lol:

I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right (which I am), but just saying that there is a reasonable explanation other than dumbassery or evil.  I have no doubt that I could find articles with quotes from insurance professionals that contradict the insurance professionals in your articles.  Some of these insurance professionals are just confused. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 21, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »
I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right.

i wish you'd try a little.  i've been very patient throughout this whole interaction, but i'd like to see a little more reveal.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right.

i wish you'd try a little.  i've been very patient throughout this whole interaction, but i'd like to see a little more reveal.

Like what?  Here's something I find interesting.  Prior to the exchanges, the cost of healthcare insurance was pretty obscure and complicated, difficult for people to figure out.  Now, it's much easier to have grasp of how much a health plan costs because there are so many quotes to compare readily available online.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 21, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
Like what?

anything funny or educational.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 21, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
at k-s-u's expense, i mean.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
Anybody here signed up yet?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 21, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
Odd, a whole bunch of insurers are canceling policies due to ObamaCare. I guess they're all reading "the law" wrong. Chum should explain to them that all these mandates actually took effect years ago.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/10/18/205847/for-thousands-keeping-your-old.html

I know, right? Where do they keep finding all these liars who claim to have sent/received cancellation notices? Probably a bunch of Republican activists.

Policies get cancelled every year for a variety of business related reasons.  One thing we should definitely do, though, is expect that the people talking about this are citing the correct reasons and not just confused.  Much like the people on this board, they wouldn't talk about something if they didn't truly know what they were talking about.

I couldn't agree more. Clearly, the people who are receiving the cancellation letters are just dumbasses. But all the insurance people who are claiming Obamacare is the reason for the cancellations.... why are they lying?! I guess because they're evil, but it's still sad, you know? Shouldn't you pen a few op-eds to set the record straight? Somebody's gotta stand up for the truth!

I just said lots of people are confused.  Why do you think policyholders are dumbasses and insurance people are liars?

You're right, all these insurance professionals quoted in the articles are just "confused." You know better, Chum.  :lol:

I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right (which I am), but just saying that there is a reasonable explanation other than dumbassery or evil.  I have no doubt that I could find articles with quotes from insurance professionals that contradict the insurance professionals in your articles.  Some of these insurance professionals are just confused.

Ok, go ahead and do that, and get back to us.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Prior to the exchanges, the cost of healthcare insurance was pretty obscure and complicated, difficult for people to figure out. 

Yes, it's much easier now. :lol: Maybe once they fix the "glitches"....

Now, it's much easier to have grasp of how much a health plan costs because there are so many quotes to compare readily available online. 

Actually, one of the reasons this whole Healthcare.gov thing is such a fiasco is that the government is intentionally trying to obscure the true cost of the policies. Rather than just letting people shop the exchanges directly, they first require you to "sign up" and submit a bunch of information to determine whether you are eligible for a subsidy (this is where the primary breakdown is occurring). The subsidy is then credited against the true cost of the policy to make it appear cheaper.

But take this all worth a grain of salt. I'm just reading the news. What does Chum think?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #869 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
States with tort reform have better and more efficient healthcare systems than those without, see Texas v. New York.  If you only want to attribute $58B to it (a staggering number), that's your problem.

Tort reform should not be included in federal legislation because tort actions are not a creature of federal law. 

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Prior to the exchanges, the cost of healthcare insurance was pretty obscure and complicated, difficult for people to figure out. 

Yes, it's much easier now. :lol: Maybe once they fix the "glitches"....

Now, it's much easier to have grasp of how much a health plan costs because there are so many quotes to compare readily available online. 

Actually, one of the reasons this whole Healthcare.gov thing is such a fiasco is that the government is intentionally trying to obscure the true cost of the policies. Rather than just letting people shop the exchanges directly, they first require you to "sign up" and submit a bunch of information to determine whether you are eligible for a subsidy (this is where the primary breakdown is occurring). The subsidy is then credited against the true cost of the policy to make it appear cheaper.

But take this all worth a grain of salt. I'm just reading the news. What does Chum think?

The government website isn't the only place to find them.  Besides, I was talking about the "true cost" in the first place. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »

Ok, go ahead and do that, and get back to us.

No, don't care to read a buch of bullshit like you.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
Getting an insurance quote was not complicated before, and no more complicated that buying car insurance.  If you think having fewer choices is less complicated you're a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

For gods sake, men should not have to purchase policies that include coverage for mammograms and cpv immunizations.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
Is chum one of those "navigators" like that felon from Douglas county?