Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 324044 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #775 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
If interest rates on your credit card were close to 0%, would you try to pay it off all at once, or would you just make minimum payments until the day you died?  In the case of the United States, we're not going to die any time soon.

Except the minimum payment is hundreds of billions of dollars, the interest is actually not 0%, is variable and adjusts daily, is being artificially suppressed by a central bank, which is essentially acting as the last "balance transfer" option, the balance of the debt exceeds your annual income, and the consequences of default don't involve a chapter 7 filing.

So yeah, its basically a credit card.  Free money.

I nominate Beams the mayor of Face Palm City.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 16, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »
facebook has been a real treat. love the dave ramsey because math video that everyone is re-posting

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 16, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
If interest rates on your credit card were close to 0%, would you try to pay it off all at once, or would you just make minimum payments until the day you died?  In the case of the United States, we're not going to die any time soon.

Except the minimum payment is hundreds of billions of dollars, the interest is actually not 0%, is variable and adjusts daily, is being artificially suppressed by a central bank, which is essentially acting as the last "balance transfer" option, the balance of the debt exceeds your annual income, and the consequences of default don't involve a chapter 7 filing.

You're the King of Strawmen Island, FSD.  I never said interest rates were 0% (just close to 0%).  I never said the debt was essentially "free money."  It's just not that big of a deal unless we get to a point where we can't make interest payments, which isn't going to happen any time soon. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 16, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
facebook has been a real treat. love the dave ramsey because math video that everyone is re-posting

yes, was outstanding. his closing argument was "what if I made you buy a gun"? Also I was disappointed that there was no actual math done.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 16, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
I think all anyone really needs to understand is that the Federal Gov't will collect more tax revenue than ever, and yet will fall short of paying it's bills this FY by around $800 to $900 billion dollars.

Isn't this talking point at least in some part due to having a larger working force than ever before as a result of an ever growing population? Not saying that the $.8T deficit is good by any means, but I think the 'most revenue' talking point is somewhere between misleading and dishonest.

There are 2 million fewer people working today than in 2008. The actual U6 unemployment is around 14%, which includes those that have used up their unemployment and still unemployed and not counted in the advertised unemployment rate.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 16, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
I think all anyone really needs to understand is that the Federal Gov't will collect more tax revenue than ever, and yet will fall short of paying it's bills this FY by around $800 to $900 billion dollars.

Isn't this talking point at least in some part due to having a larger working force than ever before as a result of an ever growing population? Not saying that the $.8T deficit is good by any means, but I think the 'most revenue' talking point is somewhere between misleading and dishonest.

There are 2 million fewer people working today than in 2008.

I don't really believe that is true.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
The Dave Ramsey video is great because he implies that he's not going to be partisan, then he goes into the standard Tea Party screed against Obama and the gubmint taking all your monies to give to poor (fat) people.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 16, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »

You're the King of Strawmen Island, FSD.  I never said interest rates were 0% (just close to 0%).  I never said the debt was essentially "free money."  It's just not that big of a deal unless we get to a point where we can't make interest payments, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

If I'm the king of straw man island, then your the captain of the s.s. doesn't know what a straw man is.

Aye Aye Cap'n Butthurt Beams!  Your point about only needing enough revenue to cover interest is insanely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), matey.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 16, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

Its black and white on the BLS webpage, bruh

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
How are your stocks doing since President Obama has been in office, FSD? 

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 16, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

Mine are doing rough ridin' fantastic.  i am really rich right now.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

As long as QE goes on, stocks will be fine and the rich get richer.  :kstategrad:

My 401k is up 38% YTD.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 16, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »

That shows a drop in the participation rate of about 2.5% since 2008. The population of the US has increased by a little more than 4% since then, so I interpret that data to show that there are actually more people working now than in 2008.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »

That shows a drop in the participation rate of about 2.5% since 2008. The population of the US has increased by a little more than 4% since then, so I interpret that data to show that there are actually more people working now than in 2008.

Aug 2008 total labor force = 154,469,000 x 6.1% unemployment = 146,046,000 working

Aug 2013 total labor force = 155,486,000 x 7.3% unemployment = 144,135,000 working

1,911,000 fewer working.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 16, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
Liberals hate the participation rate stat.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Liberals hate the participation rate stat.

It really effs up the unemployment rate.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 16, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
I watched it, sys. I thought it might have been overly simplified, but then again, the economy really is much simpler than most of us try to make it. It was a fun watch.

thanks, that makes me really happy.

I watched it, too. It's crazy how you never hear anyone talk about long-term debt cycles that way.

i thought the idea that inflation is dependent on spending, not monetary supply was interesting.  i also really liked seeing a billionaire, 'pub donor explain that (part of) the best way to ameliorate the current crisis is to tax the rich, and (re)distribute the wealth to the poor.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 16, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
My 401k is up 38% YTD.

damn!  company stock?  what all are you allowed to invest in your 401k?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 16, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
My 401k is up 38% YTD.

I stupidly have everything in the T Rowe Price health sciences fund right now. I need to spread it out but I just can't bring myself to do it right now.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
My 401k is up 38% YTD.

I stupidly have everything in the T Rowe Price health sciences fund right now. I need to spread it out but I just can't bring myself to do it right now.

doesn't sound stupid at all.  but sell the news, friend.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 16, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
My 401k is up 38% YTD.

doesn't sound stupid at all.  but sell the news, friend.

It just makes me a little nervous having all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak, but I'm addicted to the ROR.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
It just makes me a little nervous having all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak, but I'm addicted to the ROR.

if you're not nervous making 38%/year, you're not paying attention.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »

put your money into FBIOX, XBI, or BBH.  you're a little late to the party though.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:07 PM »

put your money into FBIOX, XBI, or BBH.  you're a little late to the party though.

Commercial RE tho