Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323953 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2675 on: October 06, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »
i can't believe you're defending the lack of transparency in medical pricing, liblib.  emo i get, because he argues all sorts of weird crap.

It's not lack of transparency.  All you have to do is like not be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and ask for pricing.

It's no different than a Toyota dealership.  "Hi Mr. Sys, the during the inspection the tech noticed your cabin air filter is dirty, would you like us to replace that?"

Now, here's where some of you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and the rest of you aren't.

Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "Sure."
Non-Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "How much is it?  ("It's $20.")  Oh okay, yes please do that."

It's not like that at all, Emo, because the baby is your baby. You shouldn't expect a charge to hold it. It's not like the baby is the hospital's property until you leave.

The charge is for the additional nurse, not the actual holding of the baby.  We have been over this.

They didn't ask the couple if they'd like an extra nurse to come in and watch them hold the baby. They asked them if they'd like to hold their baby.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: October 06, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »
i can't believe you're defending the lack of transparency in medical pricing, liblib.  emo i get, because he argues all sorts of weird crap.

It's not lack of transparency.  All you have to do is like not be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and ask for pricing.

It's no different than a Toyota dealership.  "Hi Mr. Sys, the during the inspection the tech noticed your cabin air filter is dirty, would you like us to replace that?"

Now, here's where some of you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and the rest of you aren't.

Non-Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "How much is it?  ("It's $20.")  Oh okay, yes please do that."

It's not like that at all, Emo, because the baby is your baby. You shouldn't expect a charge to hold it. It's not like the baby is the hospital's property until you leave.

The charge is for the additional nurse, not the actual holding of the baby.  We have been over this.

They didn't ask the couple if they'd like an extra nurse to come in and watch them hold the baby. They asked them if they'd like to hold their baby.

I'm sure it's hospital policy and not negotiable which is why they didn't ask.  If they are so upset don't pay it.  I doubt the hospital comes after them for $40. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: October 06, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
I doubt either of us know the specifics of this hospitals billing

That's the point lib7

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
So why do you feel this is nefarious then when the hospital's explanation is completely plausible?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
I think a better analogy would be opening the door for a client and then adding that their bill.

Great analogies all around!

The anchor on CNN headline news this morning said when she gave birth the hospital charged her to be walked from the waiting area to the birthing unit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: October 06, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

Do you think this couple asked to see a lactation consultant? I'm sort of doubting they asked to have somebody come in and tell them that the baby's mouth goes on the nipple, but maybe they asked for it. Who knows?

We did ask for a lactation consultant for the first kid because she wouldn't take, that cost our insurance company $300.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: October 06, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »
Well that cost money to do, so of course she was charged.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: October 06, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
I would say that line item is full transparency, personally

transparency occurs before a service is billed, not after.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: October 06, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
Guys, it's a child birth, you have plenty of notice.  Just shop the hospitals, ask for a detailed/itemized quote, and read everything they will ask you to sign.  If you have concerns contact your health insurance and see what's covered and what isn't.  If they bill you for something you didn't agree to tell them to get mumped.  And if they over bill you $40, maybe consider your time investment in fighting for $40 versus spending time with your new baby.

Are you childless? Almost all of this stuff is covered by insurance, that's why they're doing it. Usually having a baby in a hospital cost the insured the same unless there are complications like neonatal surgery.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: October 06, 2016, 04:30:26 PM »
So why do you feel this is nefarious then when the hospital's explanation is completely plausible?

because the baby is your baby. You shouldn't expect a charge to hold it. It's not like the baby is the hospital's property until you leave.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: October 06, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
I would say that line item is full transparency, personally

transparency occurs before a service is billed, not after.

That's a fair criticism, but not a huge deal in this instance imo. Personally I would just offer all these services as part of an inclusive price, but they would absolutely be price increasers. For some reason some people in this thread think they should be free.

The charge of committing fraud and blaming obamacare are the parts I don't agree with. I'm sure this is a problem with other things like running unnecessary tests or whatever, but this is a horrible example imo.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: October 06, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »
but not a huge deal in this instance imo.

everyone understands that it's only $40.  it's the principle.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: October 06, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
I'm sure the hospital negotiates the total price with the insurance company and can't add the $40 to that. There is no way they'd be stupid enough to list that out on a bill they send their patients if they could just include it in the delivery C Section line.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: October 06, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
I'm sure the hospital negotiates the total price with the insurance company and can't add the $40 to that. There is no way they'd be stupid enough to list that out on a bill they send their patients if they could just include it in the delivery C Section line.

Well apparently at this place it's an option not included in the delivery price

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 06, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
but not a huge deal in this instance imo.

everyone understands that it's only $40.  it's the principle.

That's fine. I don't really intend to defend that aspect of the conversation. But I also don't know what information was made available to this couple that they may or may not have reviewed.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
did not anticipate this one getting emoemoemoemoemoemoemo'd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »

in california, by state law, when you request any automotive repair or service you are presented with an itemized estimate of the cost of each service or repair which you must sign.  that is transparency.

and your fantasy about hospitals being happy to document and estimate prices prior to performing work is complete bullshit.  congratulations that you found a hospital that was eager and able to do that for one of the services they offer.  it is well documented that it is not easy to get most/many hospitals to do so for many/most services they offer.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 06, 2016, 04:57:07 PM »
Normal conversation (apparently):

"Would you like to hold your baby now, Mr.Lib?"

"That depends. How much is it going to set me back?"

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: October 06, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »

This is the bottom line. It's rough ridin' ridiculous.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: October 06, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »

Apparently you have a huge reading problem

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #2695 on: October 06, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
That was based on Emo's example. I assumed you agreed with it.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »
The whole idea that you are taking a nurse away from some other duty in order to hand the father a baby and say "Support the head because of gravity!" is just nutty. To charge $40 for it is criminal.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
So the person who royally screwed up the first attempt at creating Govt. Healthcare under Bill Clinton, now says she will fix Ofailurecare.  That is a hoot.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 06, 2016, 07:33:58 PM »

in california, by state law, when you request any automotive repair or service you are presented with an itemized estimate of the cost of each service or repair which you must sign.  that is transparency.

and your fantasy about hospitals being happy to document and estimate prices prior to performing work is complete bullshit.  congratulations that you found a hospital that was eager and able to do that for one of the services they offer.  it is well documented that it is not easy to get most/many hospitals to do so for many/most services they offer.

I got 2 FWIW, and neither was difficult.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »

You're missing the point.  For the birth of a child you should know what it's going to cost up front.

You and sys or whomever would have much better arguments with charges for services while someone was under general anesthesia.