Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 324041 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2500 on: August 25, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
Six, I believe.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #2501 on: August 25, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
You can stretch to 1-2 years I think if you're careful. I have a prescription for an epipen but don't currently own one because the odds of needing to use it are so small compared to the ridiculous price.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 25, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »
It's basically as if you were only allowed to use the newest iPhone to make any calls and then blaming people who couldn't call 911 during an emergency because they never got around to paying for their phone.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 25, 2016, 03:46:05 PM »
You can stretch to 1-2 years I think if you're careful. I have a prescription for an epipen but don't currently own one because the odds of needing to use it are so small compared to the ridiculous price.

You can afford it, just ask everyone's personal finance advisor, emo emaw.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 25, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »
Six, I believe.

Oh man!  What would really top this off is if you have to buy it in the two pack and not singles.  I mean, what's $200/month that you end up throwing away 99% of the time?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: August 25, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
yogurt

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 25, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Further note:  I had a med cost issue about 10 yrs ago when pre-existing conditions were a thing.

I bought my stuff from an online Canadian pharmacy and they shipped it to my front door.  It was less than 1/3rd, or something like that, the cost of what I could get it for cash at the local pharmacy. 

Epi pen folks should just do that.

Also, patent laws that restrict generics in our country are evidently different in Canada.  I was not only able to get a generic of a drug that didn't have a US generic, but the person who made the generic was the person who made the name brand. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:47 PM »
I have a prescription for an epipen but don't currently own one because the odds of needing to use it are so small compared to the ridiculous price.

i've never gotten a prescription, but i should have had some on hand for various years of my life and didn't, because of the cost.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 25, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
patent laws that restrict generics in our country are evidently different in Canada.  I was not only able to get a generic of a drug that didn't have a US generic, but the person who made the generic was the person who made the name brand.

canada laws are different from us laws?  that doesn't even sound legal.  btw, mylan doesn't make epipens.  pfizer makes them, but only mylan can sell them (in the us).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2509 on: August 25, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
Blaming business for exploiting the failures of government is pretty stupid.

It's right up there with calling someone who opposes corporate welfare a hypocrite for preparing their tax return in compliance with the law.

Are you conceding that I'm blaming Mylan for the ACA not having price controls? I didn't even hint at that. I'll blame Mylan for greedily increasing their profits by 600% by placing citizens in direct danger of death. I'll blame Mylan for fleecing insurance companies who will in turn pass that cost on to all of us. I'll blame Mylan for being tax dodgers. What do you want the government to do to make them pay their taxes?

Using words like fleecing, greedily, and dodger doesn't make what they're doing any less legal. The policy and rules in place promote it. The ACA further incentivizes it. It's a heavily regulated industry with extremely high entry barriers. Your anger is misplaced, per usual, nobody is going to innovate new drugs for free.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 25, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
It sounds like all the drugs big pharma is withholding from the general public because they think its funny to watch people die in the streets is readily bootlegable from canada, so anyone who dies for want of an epipen is clearly just following darwin's plan.
#thinkprogress

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 25, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
I didn't realize how horrible this crap was until it hit home with my mom. Some of the top surgeons in the world don't take the basic coverage that's needed now for life or death surgeries, because basic insurance isn't covered by it. All he did was get some homeless ppl on medication. rough ridin' POS.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 25, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
Let's cover a bunch of pieces of shits that placed themselves in bad situations on their own vs taking care of the ppl who've been taking care of your economy for 50+ years.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:29:00 PM by WackyCat08 »

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 25, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
The plan all along has been to have young people subsidize the old. Just another egregious example of the boomers raping future generations. Obama is just a stooge in the cycle.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »
It's sounds like for some people epipens are a nice to have thing, not a need to have.  If they needed to have them they would do what it takes to get one, before they pay for any other thing they don't truly need.  Like air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat, epipen, shelter.  That's your order of priority.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 25, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
And to be clear I do think it sucks, I do think it's wrong, but its not illegal. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 25, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »
no one thinks it's illegal, emo.  it's a symptom of a flawed system when a syringe filled with epinephrine that costs maybe a buck fifty to manufacture is sold for $600.

i don't get what your thing about "people can afford them" and they're a want not a need is about.  do you not know what epinephrine does?  some % of people that don't have them, but should, will die.  they're just rolling the dice.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
Yea, it's not really even a moral issue but a public policy one. The government scrutinizes huge business mergers to make sure people don't end up spending too much for phone or cable service and then it comes around and creates a monopoly on potentially life saving medication. 

Also, no one just wants to have an epi pen, and no one "needs" it until they're in about a 15 minute window to use it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »
no one thinks it's illegal, emo.  it's a symptom of a flawed system when a syringe filled with epinephrine that costs maybe a buck fifty to manufacture is sold for $600.

i don't get what your thing about "people can afford them" and they're a want not a need is about.  do you not know what epinephrine does?  some % of people that don't have them, but should, will die.  they're just rolling the dice.

it is the exact same thing that allows him to go hunt for elk on federal land or take his family for free to a national park and also bitch about the federal government's bureau of land management and national parks owning a bunch of land.   

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 26, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »
They're stupidly rolling the dice, spending their money on one thing when it should be an epipen, is my point. 

I just don't believe that the line between life and death is so razor thin that even $600 or whatever it is separates it.  It's not the lack of $600 that will kill these people, it's their stupidity or ignorance to not do everything it takes to come up with the $600 to get something they need, while at the same time consuming things they don't truly need.  It's an extreme example but being homeless and with epipen would logically be better than being with roof and without epipen.  I assume we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Anyway, a generic will be out next year and folks can have them for pennies on the dollar and this issue will all go away.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #2520 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
Yea, I think your odds of an early death are a bit higher being homeless with an epi pen than having shelter without one. The point is they have made the medication expensive enough to where the cost benefit analysis weighs in favor of not buying one for people who have such a low chance of ever needing one (think, not peanut allergies but like bee stings). If I paid $600 for everything that had a .001% chance of saving my life then I really would be homeless.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 26, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
Smdh
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 26, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
I know a dude who makes 70k a year with family of 3-4, he doesn't buy insurance, his wife has health probs that require very expensive meds, he called the pharma co. And told them he could not afford and they send him the meds for a few bucks.  :horrorsurprise:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 26, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »
oh.  i was thinking (hoping) you were making a smarter argument.  oh well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 26, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »

I mean I would have thought my story about my ex-girlfriend having her life saved by epinephrine when she didn't even know she had a life threatening allergy would have illustrated that for him, but it's apparently more important to be right about an incorrect preconceived notion than to actually acquire knowledge. Oh well.