Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323983 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
:adios:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #1902 on: July 22, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Wow. Was not expecting this. Obamacare is in seriouser trouble.

Appellate Court Rules Subsidies Illegal

Let's see Obama try to fix this now with his "pen and phone."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 22, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
Wow. Was not expecting this. Obamacare is in seriouser trouble.

Appellate Court Rules Subsidies Illegal

Let's see Obama try to fix this now with his "pen and phone."

Meh it will get overturned by the full court. The Supreme Court is anybody's guess tho.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 22, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
The 4th Circuit Court just upheld the subsidies. More than anything this just proves how confusing our appellate system is. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
The 4th Circuit Court just upheld the subsidies. More than anything this just proves how confusing our appellate system is.

I don't see what's so confusing about the appellate system. We've got a lot of federal judges appointed by different presidents with significantly different views when it comes to statutory construction, interpreting and applying the Constitution, etc. The importance of the DC Circuit's ruling is that it now provides a clear split of opinion on the issue, virtually assuring that the SC will have to take it up, and I can guarantee you the SC will decide it on a 5-4 or 6-3 vote. We know how 7 Justices will rule - the question comes down to Roberts and Kennedy.

I still think Obamacare can only be killed politically, but there's a least a decent chance the SC will gut it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »

I don't see what's so confusing about the appellate system. We've got a lot of federal judges appointed by different presidents with significantly different views when it comes to statutory construction, interpreting and applying the Constitution, etc. The importance of the DC Circuit's ruling is that it now provides a clear split of opinion on the issue, virtually assuring that the SC will have to take it up, and I can guarantee you the SC will decide it on a 5-4 or 6-3 vote. We know how 7 Justices will rule - the question comes down to Roberts and Kennedy.

I still think Obamacare can only be killed politically, but there's a least a decent chance the SC will gut it.

I guess it's always been weird to me that depending on what appellate district you're in a law can be different than in another district. I'm not a lawyer but I assume it's how it works. Oh well the Supreme. Court gets another whack at it. Which is disappointing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 28, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
Wow. http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/07/25/obamacare-architect-agreed-with-gop-exchange-subsidies-can-only-flow-through-state-exchanges/

In short, plaintiffs in the recent Obamacare litigation have latched onto the argument that the law as worded clearly does not permit insurance subsidies except for policies purchased on state-run exchanges. This means that there would be no subsidies for the 34 states that refused to set up their own exchanges, resulting in a political firestorm and (most likely) the effective death of Obamacare.

The government argues that the particular provision was just a mistake (though even sloppy drafting is usually not a viable excuse for ignoring what the law says). The plaintiffs counter that this provision was not a mistake, but rather that Congress intended to limit the subsidies to state-run exchanges in order to pressure conservative states into establishing exchanges.

I would now say there's a better than 50% chance that the SC will rule in favor of the plaintiffs by a 5-4 vote.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 28, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/07/28/3464769/satanists-hobby-lobby-abortion/

Wait - they are suing to be "exempted" from having to receive a pamphlet when they walk in to see their friendly neighborhood abortionist? Doesn't sound too burdensome...

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/07/28/3464769/satanists-hobby-lobby-abortion/

Wait - they are suing to be "exempted" from having to receive a pamphlet when they walk in to see their friendly neighborhood abortionist? Doesn't sound too burdensome...

Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
The Satanic Temple is pretty great at everything they do, it seems.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 02, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
Another round of cancellation notices going out. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/insurers-poised-to-cancel-health-plans-that-dont-comply-with-affordable-care-act/2014/10/02/31525c74-49b3-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html

I don't know about you, but I think it is an awesome idea for the federal government to mandate the amount of insurance everyone needs to have. And then, if you don't comply, the IRS collects a tax, err, "penalty." Meanwhile, the federal government doles out hundreds of billions of tax dollars to expand Medicaid and also subsidize the more expensive policies which basically amount to more expensive versions of Medicaid. Fewer and fewer doctors accept these policies, resulting in long drives and waiting times for care. And it's all "paid for" by a combination of debt and taxing and raising the premiums of the vast majority of people who already had health insurance and liked it just fine.

The Democrats took a problem and made it worse in every conceivable way.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 02, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »
how would you have fixed the problem, Kay S. Youdub?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 02, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

Well, just for starters, I'd do a number of things to bring down the cost of insurance.
(1) Allow insurance to be purchased from any company, for any particular coverage, like most any other type of insurance.
(2) Impose aggressive tort reform, capping medical malpractice liability limits and barring/capping liability for anyone receiving free or government subsidized care.
(3) Expand tax-free HSAs to all Americans to encourage the use the HDHPs. If we encourage people to use health insurance like any other insurance (only for the serious stuff you really can't afford out of pocket), it removes the distortion from the market and brings down costs.

I don't profess to have all the answers - I just know that Obamacare made things a lot worse. That's pretty undeniable at this point. About the only thing Obamacare has "achieved" is reducing the number of uninsured, but those newly insured are just being added to Medicaid or Medicaid-esque exchanges (together with many people who had real insurance but got booted onto the exchanges), with limited access to healthcare, and all at great expense to everyone else.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1915 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »

Personally, I would have not made the problem worse. For starters.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
I don' think tort reform will lower healthcare costs in the slightest. The market has already shown a willingness to pay for current costs. What incentive do doctors have to lower prices?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 02, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
I don' think tort reform will lower healthcare costs in the slightest. The market has already shown a willingness to pay for current costs. What incentive do doctors have to lower prices?

In places where  compensatory damages are capped, it is well documented it has helped. Anymore, it's virtually impossible to win a med mal claim, but that doesn't mean people still aren't trying and attorneys fees accruing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 02, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

And you've just perfectly described the problem. The buyers in the current "Market" are almost entirely government and private insurers - not individuals. This discourages competitive pricing and distorts market dynamics.

No other insurance works this way! If people started using car insurance to pay for routine maintenance, I guarantee you the price of an oil change would skyrocket.

That's why HCAs with HDHPs are such a wonderful thing. They ought to be expanded and encouraged. Instead, Obamacare works in the opposite direction, forcing people into bloated old-fashioned policies.

And yes, real tort reform would absolutely produce savings. The practice of "defensive medicine," particularly in ERs is absurd. We shouldn't be running every bad person who wanders into the ER with a battery of tests just to reduce liability - especially if said bad person isn't paying.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 02, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
It's insane that you want to expand the health insurance industry

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: October 02, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
Wait, people think malpractice suits are the reason health insurance costs are skyrocketing?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 02, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
I'm going to assume the last two posts are trolls, because the Pit

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 02, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
It's insane that you want to expand the health insurance industry

I'm not in favor of expanding health insurance. I want more competition among insurers and for people to use insurance less, not more.

Obamacare works in the opposite direction, expanding "private" insurance (but not really, after all the subsidies) to the point of collapse, while simultaneously expanding more direct government healthcare (Medicaid). It's a bridge to making our government one unified insurer (single payer), but as I've explained ad nauseum, that's not going to improve healthcare - it will make it worse.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 02, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Single payer is the only sensible option

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:10 PM »
Single payer is the only sensible option

Complete with secret waiting lists and people who die waiting to see a nurse practitioner.