Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 317851 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
If you take away the financial issues, the medical system is pretty amazing.  My fiancé is a medical student.  The other day, they replaced a guy's urethra with the skin from his cheek, routine procedure.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
What happened to his urethra? 

Not complaining about the technical wonder or capabilities of our modern medicine.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
Also it's hilarious to think that in real life you are tolerable enough to have a fiancé. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »
What happened to his urethra? 

Not complaining about the technical wonder or capabilities of our modern medicine.

long story short, he couldn't urinate

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
How was competition in the healthcare business different than competition in other typical businesses?

Of all major reasons I've heard cited for rising healthcare costs, I'm not sure I've ever heard lack of competition.

There is no such thing as interstate medical insurance sales. If you wanted to sell medical insurance in all fifty states, you have to open fifty separate businesses. This may be too simplistic, so anyone in the medical insurance business feel free to chime in.

I do know many states have one insurance company that holds more than 75% of all policies.
no troll

do you want a small fed with state centered orientation or do you want a fed that can regulate healthcare nationally?  Seems like you would be the former from your other posts, but what you ask for in your competition point smacks of a stronger more regulating fed.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
Yes, the previous system was working so well.

shut up you obamabot

I don't know if Obamacare is the answer.  Haven't studied it in depth or anything, but I've learned enough about the old system to know it was pretty mumped.  Is Obamacare better? :dunno:  I think that will take time to see.

That seems to be the thoughts of all the people that:
...Haven't studied it in depth or anything...

:peek:

You would assume that but there are a number of people who haven't studied it or at least haven't studied it outside of their own political rhetoric who have already chalked it up to success/failure.  I just think that putting a system this large into a marketplace will make the results tough to predict.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
"Obamacare"
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
I was just being cantankerous.  Sheesh.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
I was just being cantankerous.  Sheesh.

Yea, I figured.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
How was competition in the healthcare business different than competition in other typical businesses?

Of all major reasons I've heard cited for rising healthcare costs, I'm not sure I've ever heard lack of competition.

There is no such thing as interstate medical insurance sales. If you wanted to sell medical insurance in all fifty states, you have to open fifty separate businesses. This may be too simplistic, so anyone in the medical insurance business feel free to chime in.

I do know many states have one insurance company that holds more than 75% of all policies.
no troll

do you want a small fed with state centered orientation or do you want a fed that can regulate healthcare nationally?  Seems like you would be the former from your other posts, but what you ask for in your competition point smacks of a stronger more regulating fed.

Are you rough ridin' kidding?  JFC  :facepalm:

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

no troll

Are you rough ridin' kidding?  JFC  :facepalm:
I didn't think you were this awful.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
It's like you don't realize everything you type is memorialized on the Internet. Just plain idiocy

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
It's like you don't realize everything you type is memorialized on the Internet. Just plain idiocy
you're right, I thought you had the mental capacity to enter into this conversation, I was very wrong.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
you're right, I thought you had the mental capacity to enter into this conversation, I was very wrong.

I think the problem is your inability to put into words whatever the eff it is you're thinking.

Here's some unsolicited advice, head over to the local community college and enroll in a remedial writing class. If that doesn't work seek professional help for your learning disability.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »

I think the problem is your inability to put into words whatever the eff it is you're thinking.

Here's some unsolicited advice, head over to the local community college and enroll in a remedial writing class. If that doesn't work seek professional help for your learning disability.
:lol:
never mind I'll just look at foxnews' webpage for your opinion in all future matters.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »

i laughed

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »

i laughed
:lol:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
#pwn3d

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
 :bwpopcorn:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »
Quote from: Senate Democrats
Oh no, Obamacare was a bad idea!

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:dance:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
As I recall, Obamacare was supposed to reduce the deficit, cut premiums, and increase access to healthcare for millions of Americans. Starting to get worried about articles like these:

GAO: Obamacare to add $6.2 trillion to long term deficit
WSJ: Premiums going up
NYT: Doctor Shortage Likely to Worsen With Health Law

I just can't understand why this is happening. :dunno: So we're going to spend trillions on insurance subsidies for the poor and middle class, and that's going to increase the deficit?! And crowding millions of additional people onto the insurance rolls is actually going to reduce access to quality healthcare?! And requiring insurance to cover a crap load of new procedures and people who are already sick is going to raise premiums?! What is this, bizzaro world?!?!?! Why didn't anyone warn us about this?????
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
wait a minute. you're telling me that the cost of health insurance is going to increase in the future? i mean this just can't be happening can it? what in the world you guys?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Oh man, bend over young, wealthy cats.

Here's what could affect your coverage cost. This breakdown is only for those who buy plans on the individual market through the exchanges, and doesn't apply to those with employer-sponsored plans.

Income: One of the top factors determining how much you'll pay next year is your income. That's because subsidies are available to those with incomes of up to 400% of the poverty line -- roughly $45,000 for an individual or $92,000 for a family of four. Some 57% of enrollees will receive subsidies, and those subsidies will cover nearly two-thirds of the premium, on average, according to the Congressional Budget Office's estimates.