Author Topic: Post our glorious rankings in this thread  (Read 158242 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: November 04, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
not that it's really relevant, but I'm pretty sure that if you asked every college football fan in the country what game they would most like to watch in the mnc if their team couldn't/can't get in, 99% would say 'bama v. oregon.  those two completely different styles of football going head to head would be fascinating to watch...especially in light of saban crying about hurry-up offenses.

if anything scares me, it's that.  that being said, coaches' votes are the only ones that matter and I don't think they're going to drastically change their votes if both stay undefeated.

valid.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
I already had the worst time trying to convince everyone this weekend that ND winning is not only ok, but good.

3 more weeks of having to repeat myself is going to get old
explain to me why ND winning is good at this point since they are no longer between K-State and Oregon as a firewall. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
Hell, id love to see bama Oregon

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 04, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
I already had the worst time trying to convince everyone this weekend that ND winning is not only ok, but good.

explain to me why ND winning is good at this point since they are no longer between K-State and Oregon as a firewall.

They are in the computers. If ND loses, Oregon jumps to #2 immediately.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 04, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
Is there a bigger fan of ND at this point than goEMAW? I rough ridin' love those mouth breathing, potato farming repsects.  :ksu: <------but with a shamrock or whatever the eff the ND powercat is.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 04, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

They are  firewall in the computers, the polls at this point are a non-factor.  ND needs to stay in front in the computers, although I do wonder how many points on Oregon we'd gain in the polls.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 04, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

They are in the computers. If ND loses, Oregon jumps to #2 immediately.
Thank you, i remembered that as soon as I posted, I was focused on BCS rank instead of computer ranks.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1107 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
not that it's really relevant, but I'm pretty sure that if you asked every college football fan in the country what game they would most like to watch in the mnc if their team couldn't/can't get in, 99% would say 'bama v. oregon.  those two completely different styles of football going head to head would be fascinating to watch...especially in light of saban crying about hurry-up offenses.

if anything scares me, it's that.  that being said, coaches' votes are the only ones that matter and I don't think they're going to drastically change their votes if both stay undefeated.

valid.

A&M has run 732 plays this year.  Oregon has run 739.

If Saban has a problem with that kind of offense, we're going to see how they handle it next week.  My guess is that Bama does just fine, but I am interested to see how they handle an offense as fast paced and dynamic as A&M's.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »

also the only ooc loss left for usc to devalue them. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 04, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
does the computer delineate any kind of quasi conference when looking at ND or is it all noncom?  Does that matter in any poll?  I imagine only in people polls.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »

valid.

If Saban has a problem with that kind of offense, we're going to see how they handle it next week.  My guess is that Bama does just fine, but I am interested to see how they handle an offense as fast paced and dynamic as A&M's.

This is a very good point. I think Alabama will crush A&M just like they would crush Oregon.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »

valid.

Pan is good at this.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 04, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »
It's common knowledge if ND wins out, it really holds back Oregon in the computers.  However, if ND loses it gets tricky.  I crunched some numbers .  Oregon is so far back in the Sagarin, this is going to be their throw away.  Out of the remaining 5 computers, Florida is ahead of them in 3.  The problem is, Florida's remaining schedule is crap in the computers with UL-L (comp average of 67.25), FCS Jacksonville St., and Florida State (comp average of 21). 

Hold the human polls as is, ND loses, and Oregon jumps Florida in all 3 other computers - Oregon passes us.
Hold the human polls as is, ND loses, and Oregon jumps Florida in 2 or less of the other computers - We stay ahead of Oregon. 

Here is the kicker - if ND loses, then Bama would be 1st in 5 of the 6 computers and we would be 1st in the other.  If we took back 1st in 1 other computer, and even if Oregon passed Florida to have 3rd in all the computers, we would still be ahead of Oregon

I know this is alot of what-ifs, but I did it just to show how close it would be if you take ND out of the equation.  The redistribution of small number of ND's 2nd and 3rd place votes in the human polls could swing it either way. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 04, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
Yeah, Oregon doesn't automatically jump us if ND loses.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:06 PM »

valid.

This will be a huge talking pt if bama wins a close one. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 04, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »

They are  firewall in the computers, the polls at this point are a non-factor.  ND needs to stay in front in the computers, although I do wonder how many points on Oregon we'd gain in the polls.

Good question.  Oregon is has almost every 2nd place vote in the coaches, so assuming Bama wins out, they can't gain much there.  Apparently ND has a fair number of 3rds.  Seems logical to assume if they lose we'd pick up most of those.  Probably not enough to offset the computer numbers, though.  I suppose what would be the best would be ND continuing to look like crap while winning, although no one seems to be caring much.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
If we keep winning, we're going to be fine.
:thumbsup:  That's what was said on the ESPN BCS Standings show tonight.  :emawkid:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 04, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

valid.

wow.  I haven't watched a&m at all this year.  I had no idea they were running that kind of hurry-up high-powered offense. I usually only have the time/patience to watch us and parts of other big 12 games.  I have to assume the sheer effectiveness of oregon's offense has something to do with them being that close to a&m though. I mean, if it only takes you 4 plays to go the length of the field, that's going to cut down on the number of plays you have to run.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »

me 2

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 04, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »

valid.

wow.  I haven't watched a&m at all this year.  I had no idea they were running that kind of hurry-up high-powered offense. I usually only have the time/patience to watch us and parts of other big 12 games.  I have to assume the sheer effectiveness of oregon's offense has something to do with them being that close to a&m though. I mean, if it only takes you 4 plays to go the length of the field, that's going to cut down on the number of plays you have to run.

It takes Oregon more plays to move down the field than K-State, though. At least that was true a week or two ago. I've not seen the updated stats.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »

valid.

It takes Oregon more plays to move down the field than K-State, though. At least that was true a week or two ago. I've not seen the updated stats.

yeah but it's a lethal combination of both.  they're not the most efficient, but they're the fastest and still really rough ridin' efficient.  a&m is maybe just fast.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 04, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »
maybe luked but ND passed us in the Anderson Hester Poll.  Guess that beatdown of 4-5 Pitt did the trick.  :dunno:

Offline Dual Ju

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 04, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
Is there a bigger fan of ND at this point than goEMAW? I rough ridin' love those mouth breathing, potato farming repsects.  :ksu: <------but with a shamrock or whatever the eff the ND powercat is.

As much as I despise ND in general, I'm 'ing right now.

:drink:<--Guinness

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »

I'd like computer experts to weigh in on this, but it seems like LSU and South Carolina could jump Oregon in the computer rankings should they win out.  Emphasis on could.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »

valid.

yeah but it's a lethal combination of both.  they're not the most efficient, but they're the fastest and still really rough ridin' efficient.  a&m is maybe just fast.  :dunno:

I've watched both a few times.

They both want to go fast and get as many plays as possible.  Oregon wants to run more (+103 attempts) and A&M wants to pass more (+96).  Actually, Oregon is a very run heavy team.  They're 4th in the nation in rush attempts and 1st in yards/carry.  A&M is top 30 in yards per pass attempt and top 20 in yards per completion.

A&M is incredibly dynamic because of Manzeil, and they've only lost two games this year to Florida and LSU, and that was by a combined 8 points.  You also have to take into consideration the fact that they're under a first year coach in a new conference.  What they've done is incredibly impressive given all of the change involved.

I don't think one man can beat Alabama, but the way the Tide acted after that win tells me they are on watch for an upset.  McCarron acted like he just won the Super Bowl.  A&M is too good, too dynamic, and I think they'll write this off as, "Hey, we beat Michigan, and A&M is like them," except that they're way better than Michigan, and Manzeil is better than Denard Robinson at this point.