Author Topic: Post our glorious rankings in this thread  (Read 156879 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
How about ND, O, and Bama just lose out? :ksu:

I still think that only 2 of the 4 win out

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
This guy "gets it"

http://bcsguru.blogspot.com/2012/10/odds-are-itll-be-bama-vs-k-state.html

Kansas State: The Wildcats are tied with Notre Dame atop the computer rankings and have made up considerable ground on Oregon in both polls. K-State will benefit from playing potentially two more ranked teams this season (Oklahoma State and Texas) and the absence of a Big 12 title game probably won't hurt too much. Ideally, the Wildcats will want the Irish to also finish undefeated, thus providing a buffer in the computer ratings to hold off Oregon. (75%)

the above is also why we want OU to win out, we need ND to stay ahead of Oregon in the computers.

I've been thinking/worrying...something that MAY hurt us...again, no idea how these damn computers work, but if Bama would pass us up in some polls because of their title game, that would be bad.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
This guy "gets it"

Kansas State: The Wildcats are tied with Notre Dame atop the computer rankings and have made up considerable ground on Oregon in both polls. K-State will benefit from playing potentially two more ranked teams this season (Oklahoma State and Texas) and the absence of a Big 12 title game probably won't hurt too much. Ideally, the Wildcats will want the Irish to also finish undefeated, thus providing a buffer in the computer ratings to hold off Oregon. (75%)

the above is also why we want OU to win out, we need ND to stay ahead of Oregon in the computers.

I've been thinking/worrying...something that MAY hurt us...again, no idea how these damn computers work, but if Bama would pass us up in some polls because of their title game, that would be bad.

Probably.  Assuming everybody wins their remaining 4-5 games.  I'm curious whether this will actually convince the Big 12 to get the Dr. Pepper game back.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
So what I got out of this thread is that we ought to be thanking Ron Prince for scheduling Miami -- replacing it with an early season game against a Missouri State type would have us on the outside looking in.

#RonP4AD

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
I'll admit I have no idea what the computer algorithms are, but I'm looking at some of the actual computer rankings and I have a hard time seeing Oregon move up in all of them to pass KSU, ND, and Bama.  Everyone knows they are behind us, but in some there have some decent sized gaps to make up in the individual computers rankings.

• Sagarin: 1. KSU 99.78, 2. ND 97.30.....8. Oregon 90.78 (this is already Oregon's toss-out low)
  • Colley: 1. ND 1.01, 2. Bama .96, 3. KSU .95...5. Oregon .89
  • Wolfe: 1. KSU 9.96, 2. ND 9.85, 3. Bama 9.34...5. Oregon 8.83
  • Anderson: 1. KSU .843, 2. ND .838...3. Bama .814 4. Oregon .802
  • Billingsly: 1. Bama 320.4, 2. ND 320.2, 3. KSU 318.7.... 4. Oregon 306.9

I'm sure they'll catch up in 2-3, but that is alot of ground to make up if they want to pass enough people in all 5 to catch up in the computers.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
I'll admit I have no idea what the computer algorithms are, but I'm looking at some of the actual computer rankings and I have a hard time seeing Oregon move up in all of them to pass KSU, ND, and Bama.  Everyone knows they are behind us, but in some there have some decent sized gaps to make up in the individual computers rankings.

• Sagarin: 1. KSU 99.78, 2. ND 97.30.....8. Oregon 90.78 (this is already Oregon's toss-out low)

I'm sure they'll catch up in 2-3, but that is alot of ground to make up if they want to pass enough people in all 5 to catch up in the computers.

They don't need to catch us in any of the computer rankings, they need to:

1) Pass Florida if they lose (they trail florida in 5 computers)
2) Pass LSU in one computer when they lose (if LSU doesn't lose this obv. takes care of itself).
3) Pick up some first place votes if Bama falters or having voters put them at #2 instead of KSU.

It can happen.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »

Read this as: How about ND and OBama lose out.  :lol:
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 29, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »

They don't need to catch us in any of the computer rankings, they need to:

1) Pass Florida if they lose (they trail florida in 5 computers)
2) Pass LSU in one computer when they lose (if LSU doesn't lose this obv. takes care of itself).
3) Pick up some first place votes if Bama falters or having voters put them at #2 instead of KSU.

It can happen.

Assuming the human polls stay the same (a wildcard at best) Oregon needs to be (on average) ONE spot lower than us in the computer polls.  This is AFTER they kick out the top and bottom ranking.  If they average one spot lower, they jump us.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 29, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
Human Polls won't stay the same. This weekend is really huge for us. If the Ducks look anything but dominant and we play well against OSU, I can see us further closing the gap to number 2. I am worried about the national perception that their remaining schedule is really that much better. It's good, but not great.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
Human Polls won't stay the same. This weekend is really huge for us. If the Ducks look anything but dominant and we play well against OSU, I can see us further closing the gap to number 2. I am worried about the national perception that their remaining schedule is really that much better. It's good, but not great.

The remaining schedule won't be take into account as a whole by the coaches. It will be a game by game analysis. So this week if they crush USC and we crush OSU they will probably take back some of our second place votes because USC has the perception of being a strong team even though their record is about the same as OSU's. The rest of the games will be about even depending on how high Stanford and Oregon State climb. So we just need USC to not get blown out basically.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
The talking heads that get the most air time have gone to comparative scoring either with us and ND on Oklahoma.  Then it was Arizona being blanked by oregon and beating USC.  We need to absolutely destroy teams on the scoreboard so we pass the "eye test" that so many love to talk about.  Oregon also has played...2 road games so far this season.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 29, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

I'd worry more about Bama having a stinker at some point while Oregon continues to dominate. They won't pass Oregon, but they can maybe swap some voters, most likely on the Harris poll.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 29, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »

I'd worry more about Bama having a stinker at some point while Oregon continues to dominate. They won't pass Oregon, but they can maybe swap some voters, most likely on the Harris poll.

Pffft. Bama plays @LSU before playing Auburn, Western Carolina and A&M at home. They don't need to win big @LSU to keep everyone on the "Alabama is easily #1" bandwagon. And they are going to blow everyone else out. Massey ratings has their chances to win at 96%, 100% and 100% for their last 3 games.

Offline jde512

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 29, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »

Read this as: How about ND and OBama lose out.  :lol:

I'll take that too!
I was born kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood.  I have no trouble going out the same way.

Offline qatzmanchu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 29, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »

Pffft. Bama plays @LSU before playing Auburn, Western Carolina and A&M at home. They don't need to win big @LSU to keep everyone on the "Alabama is easily #1" bandwagon. And they are going to blow everyone else out. Massey ratings has their chances to win at 96%, 100% and 100% for their last 3 games.

Man, could anyone argue against the Big 12 being the clear cut winner of conference expansion if somehow, someway that aTm could pull off the upset.

-We would have given the Pac Colorado to kill their SOS.
-We would have given the SEC aTm to get their one big win a year they are typically good for.
-We would have dropped our championship game in favor of the CTR on championship weekend.
-Oregon would be playing in a PAC title game against some pud team looking for their fifth loss of the year, which will further kill their SOS.
-Nebraska would be playing in a BIG title game that nobody would give a crap about.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 29, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

Man, could anyone argue against the Big 12 being the clear cut winner of conference expansion if somehow, someway that aTm could pull off the upset.

-We would have given the Pac Colorado to kill their SOS.
-We would have given the SEC aTm to get their one big win a year they are typically good for.
-We would have dropped our championship game in favor of the CTR on championship weekend.
-Oregon would be playing in a PAC title game against some pud team looking for their fifth loss of the year, which will further kill their SOS.
-Nebraska would be playing in a BIG title game that nobody would give a crap about.
I think this is a valid post and I approve of this message. :thumbs:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
This guy "gets it"

Probably.  Assuming everybody wins their remaining 4-5 games.  I'm curious whether this will actually convince the Big 12 to get the Dr. Pepper game back.

9 conference games & a true round robin is more conducive to producing a top 2 team than having a conference season where you could conceivably miss playing a very good team and/or have to navigate a rematch.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

Very true, but a close Auburn game (WHICH COULD HAPPEN: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322660002) could sway some voters that want to ensure Oregon gets in, as Lynch or someone alluded to.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
I got super butthurt last year when I found out that Pinkel and Shaw had voted OSU 4 or 5 or whatever it was.  I can't imagine what I'll be like if I find out that somebody voted Oregon 1, and us behind some 1 loss SEC team or something.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I got super butthurt last year when I found out that Pinkel and Shaw had voted OSU 4 or 5 or whatever it was.  I can't imagine what I'll be like if I find out that somebody voted Oregon 1, and us behind some 1 loss SEC team or something.

Yeah, I forgot about Pac 12 coaches possibly pulling some crap like that. IMO it should all be up to computers that factor in margin of victory.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 29, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
This guy "gets it"

9 conference games & a true round robin is more conducive to producing a top 2 team than having a conference season where you could conceivably miss playing a very good team and/or have to navigate a rematch.

I tend to agree with this, especially if the conference is / is seen as strong compared to other conferences.  If the undefeated Bama, ND, Oregon and KSU scenario plays out and K-State ends up being in the top 2, I imagine the Big 12 would forget about expansion for some time (at least until it "screws" another Big 12 team).

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »

I think it takes a better team to win in the round robin Big 12, but I also think it hurts the conferences strength of schedule. Especially when there is so much parity in the conference.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 29, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
Didn't see this posted yet and I'm not going to double check, but this is pollspeak's poll. They take 10 polls, and then average out the rankings into one final shmorgishborg. 

Code: [Select]
Sport: College Football '12
Week 10: 10/29/2012
Rank Team          Average
1 Kansas State 2.2            
2 Alabama         2.3
3 Notre Dame      2.5
4 Oregon         4.4
5 Florida         6.1
5. LSU             6.1   
7. Georgia
8. South Carolina