Author Topic: Post our glorious rankings in this thread  (Read 158279 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #725 on: October 28, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
somebody tell me who to  :emawkid: for other than usc kthanxbye

LSU over Bama, OSU over Oregon, Pitt over ND.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #726 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Well here's what scares the crap out of me...Oregon actually jumped 2 places in 2 computer polls this week by beating a ONE win Colorado team.

Didn't they just pass teams that lost?

Yes...mainly florida and oregon state.  I've gone back a looked and I still think we are in pretty good shape.  We can move up in a few computer polls given our schedule and oregon looks like they could pass us in only ONE or maybe two polls.  Either way, it will be difficult for them to overtake us....I could see our computer # being .99 or at worst .98 at the end of the year....at .98 that would mean oregon would need to average a ranking of 2.5 in the computer polls to pass us (assuming the harris and coaches poll stay the same).  That would mean they would need to pass either us or alabama in at least half of the computer polls (and they are well behind us/alabama in every poll currently).  I feel a little better.

Florida is still ahead of them in a lot of computer rankings. What worries me is UGA, UF, and LSU losing and Oregon passing them - they have quite a room to go up there, while it's virtually impossible for us to get much higher in the computers.

This doesn't happen. Remember that they count votes in the human polls for the BCS formula - not position.

So basically Oregon is ranked about 2.25 and KSU is ranked about 2.75 in both human polls right now. 1/2 position lead in both polls is equal to a 1 position in the computers.  We have a 4 position lead on Oregon in the computers right now which is why the lead is so large. There is no way Oregon passes us in any of the computers if we win out and it is very doubtful that anybody would drop us in the human polls.

This is locked up if we take care of business.

they don't have to pass us in the computers to pass us in the bcs

Yep, they just need to reduce the gap. The fact that our lead over Oregon is so large means that when teams ranked between us in the computers lose, they can easily make up a lot of ground. LSU losing to Bama and UF losing to fsu could reduce the gap for them sufficiently.

I just did the math.  If Oregon were one spot behind us in every single computer they would be at .9403 which is just barely ahead of our .9400.

But, more importantly, Alabama is one of the teams between KSU and Oregon in four of the six computers.

It is not happening.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #727 on: October 28, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
So holding the Harris and Coaches equal as of today Oregon needs to gain .08 on us in the computers in order to be ranked second.  :ohno:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »
Not really sure what this means, other than ND is mumped, but I'll just post it anyway. 

Five of the Six computer polls have released their full rankings.  The average ranking of the remaining opponents for each team are:

Oregon - 29.25 (USC - 20.2, Cal - 74.0, Stanford - 12.8, Oregon St. - 10.0)
KSU - 36.85 (OSU - 27.5, TCU - 43.2, Baylor - 55.8, UT - 20.6)
ND - 71.1 (Pitt - 82.8, Wake - 74.4, BC - 107.0, USC - 20.2)

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 28, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
I'm so glad you all are worrying about this for me.  seems like a lot of work.

I'll be over here  :emawkid: :dance: :ksu: if anybody needs me.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »

At this point it's about 50/50 Worry/Fascination for me. Really interesting stuff for a CFB and KSU junkie like myself.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 28, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »
I just did the math.  If Oregon were one spot behind us in every single computer they would be at .9403 which is just barely ahead of our .9400.

But, more importantly, Alabama is one of the teams between KSU and Oregon in four of the six computers.

It is not happening.

I'm going to trust your math and just :gocho: so rough ridin' hard all day tomorrow.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

At this point it's about 50/50 Worry/Fascination for me. Really interesting stuff for a CFB and KSU junkie like myself.

oh I'm not judging anybody.  I love it.  I just don't have the patience/give-a-crap level to follow it that closely and go through all the variables.  this is turning into cigar thread 2.0 for me.  :thumbs:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »
LOL at Oregon for not scheduling a better non-con....what a bunch of pussies.  Gonna bite them in the ass.  Serves them right for not wanting to play anyone worth a crap.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #734 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Not really sure what this means, other than ND is mumped, but I'll just post it anyway. 

Five of the Six computer polls have released their full rankings.  The average ranking of the remaining opponents for each team are:

It means that if Oregon and ND win out, they hurt each other because they devalue their two of their best wins in Stanford and USC.

The more Oregon beats down USC, the more ND is screwed.  If Oregon beats down Stanford, ND is screwed.

If USC beats either or both of them, they're screwed.

Their schedules are intertwined.  Them winning out hurts each other.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 28, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »

It means that if Oregon and ND win out, they hurt each other because they devalue their two of their best wins in Stanford and USC.

The more Oregon beats down USC, the more ND is screwed.  If Oregon beats down Stanford, ND is screwed.

But if USC beats ND, and loses out to Oregon, that's bad for us, right?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #736 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

It will help Oregon, but a four-loss USC doesn't help anybody, especially Oregon.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 28, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »

Yeah. We need USC to beat both or lose to both. If they beat ND and lose to Oregon we are mumped.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »

Yeah. We need USC to beat both or lose to both. If they beat ND and lose to Oregon we are mumped.

no, if Kstate loses...that would probably be the worst.... :bill:

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »

Oregon's has to get worse though, since Stanford plays Oregon st.

Of course, KSU's will also take a hit.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »

Oregon's has to get worse though, since Stanford plays Oregon st.

Of course, KSU's will also take a hit.

I don't think games between conference opponents really affect SOS at all. The loser will drop in the rankings, and the winner will go up.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »
If Oregon is going to lose a game, I think it will be to Stanford, fwiw. Stanford sucks, but USC is pillowy-soft.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »
what if ou loses all their remaining games!  wouldn't hurt us because of conference loses, but ND would be screwed!!!

:ksu:

i love what if games.

*oh, and it would be glorious because eff OU*
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »
If Oregon is going to lose a game, I think it will be to Stanford, fwiw. Stanford sucks, but USC is pillowy-soft.

True but USC is one of the few teams in the country that has the talent to match up with Oregon.  I don't see anyone not called KState or Bama beating them, FWIW.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:03 AM »

Stanford matches up horribly with Oregon, they do not have the defensive speed to hang with them and the game is in Eugene.  The Ducks will mercilessly slaughter them.

USC has a chance because they have the size and speed and talent to stop Oregon's offense but they have to play a smart, disciplined game.  Missed tackles or assignments kill you against the Ducks.  USC must control the clock when they're on offense so their lack of depth on defense doesn't hurt them late in the game.  Also helps that USC gets the Ducks at home, Oregon is a different team away from Autzen.  Plus, Oregon hasn't had to play a complete game yet this year.  Who knows how they will respond to having to play their starters all four quarters.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 29, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »

Stanford matches up horribly with Oregon, they do not have the defensive speed to hang with them and the game is in Eugene.  The Ducks will mercilessly slaughter them.

USC has a chance because they have the size and speed and talent to stop Oregon's offense but they have to play a smart, disciplined game.  Missed tackles or assignments kill you against the Ducks.  USC must control the clock when they're on offense so their lack of depth on defense doesn't hurt them late in the game.  Also helps that USC gets the Ducks at home, Oregon is a different team away from Autzen.  Plus, Oregon hasn't had to play a complete game yet this year.  Who knows how they will respond to having to play their starters all four quarters.

I really don't think Oregon will lose either game. I think Stanford is better up front than USC, though.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 29, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »

I really don't think Oregon will lose either game. I think Stanford is better up front than USC, though.

Oregon is the clear favorite in both matchups, I would be surprised if they lost either game.  I give USC a 30% chance of winning and Stanford a 5% chance.

USC has a very good defensive line - that unit was supposed to be a weakness coming into the season but it's been great at pressuring the QB and controlling the line of scrimmage.  Kiffin pulled a Snyder and found a Juco DITR with DE Morgan Breslin, the guy is a monster.  All of their linebackers are like the poor man's Arthur.  USC definitely has the talent and ability on defense to slow down Oregon, but they cannot continue committing stupid penalties.  Their defensive stat line in their last game (588 yards and 39 points in Arizona loss) is very misleading.   I watched that game on ESPN3 last night (USC is my second team, I'm from Southern California).  Turnovers kept putting their defense in a bad spot, and like I said, they have to be able to control the clock when they have the ball so their defense doesn't get worn down and they stay fresh.  Oregon's freshman QB Mariota has looked great this year, but he has yet to face any adversity.  Gonna be interesting to see what happens if USC's defensive line can rattle him early.

If USC makes stupid mistakes early or plays sloppy like they have so often, it could very easily be a big Oregon win.  However, I've watched all of USC's games this year and it really feels like Kiffin has been handcuffing his offense in preparation for the month of November, when they have their toughest stretch of games.  I expect to see big numbers from the Trojan offense, should be fun to see if their defense can step up to the challenge.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #747 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
The Trojans recruit specifically to beat Oregon. That's the talking point I'm pinning my hopes on.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 29, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Games like this is what Kiffin lives for. He doesn't care about Arizona. He wants to win games like these :crossfingers:

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26:26 AM »
The Trojans recruit specifically to beat Oregon. That's the talking point I'm pinning my hopes on.

Whenever one team starts to dominate a conference, the rest of the conference recruits specifically to beat them.  Happened with USC when Carroll was around, Nebraska when they had Osborne and it's starting to happen in the SEC with Alabama/Saban.