Author Topic: RANKINGS...  (Read 130265 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: RANKINGS...
« Reply #975 on: September 05, 2023, 05:38:07 PM »
My ongoing take is that there shouldn't be any rankings before October at the earliest. TCU could very well be 1-3 by then. Hell they could also be 3-1!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 05, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »
TCU and especially Clemson are really really overrated.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:04:53 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 05, 2023, 08:01:21 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that; Duke was a nine-win team last season and TCU scored a bunch of points so no domination.  I would agree with Michcat, the AP should wait until the fourth game to rank.  Teams don't really show their plays until the fourth game, which at this point is a conference game.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 05, 2023, 08:07:49 PM »
Who are the dipshits in the AP poll voting for Iowa State?

Good lord...

I saw that too, I'm bout to find out
plz out them

It was John Pierson, a sportscaster from Connecticut. He 100% meant to vote for Iowa instead. I did tweet him to ask.

My oopsie, it was actually a writer from Charleston, WV.
https://twitter.com/JPPierson/status/1699196016304550387
Check that dudes mentions, @chuckonsports, Iowa State fans are acting exactly like KU fans did when that woman made the mistake in the preseason poll. It looks like ol Chuck doesn't actually read twitter, someone is just putting his columns on his twitter page.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 05, 2023, 08:10:37 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that; Duke was a nine-win team last season and TCU scored a bunch of points so no domination.  I would agree with Michcat, the AP should wait until the fourth game to rank.  Teams don't really show their plays until the fourth game, which at this point is a conference game.

Duke being good has nothing to do with Clemson being overrated. Duke didn't force Clemson to start a QB1 who can't throw the ball beyond 10 yards down field.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 05, 2023, 10:55:11 PM »

Ahem
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 05, 2023, 10:56:42 PM »
Who are the dipshits in the AP poll voting for Iowa State?

Good lord...

I saw that too, I'm bout to find out
plz out them

It was John Pierson, a sportscaster from Connecticut. He 100% meant to vote for Iowa instead. I did tweet him to ask.

My oopsie, it was actually a writer from Charleston, WV.
https://twitter.com/JPPierson/status/1699196016304550387
Check that dudes mentions, @chuckonsports, Iowa State fans are acting exactly like KU fans did when that woman made the mistake in the preseason poll. It looks like ol Chuck doesn't actually read twitter, someone is just putting his columns on his twitter page.

A writer who is closest to the average lol.

I do like the Pierson guy didn't have either Iowa teams on his.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 06, 2023, 09:19:12 AM »
My ongoing take is that there shouldn't be any rankings before October at the earliest. TCU could very well be 1-3 by then. Hell they could also be 3-1!

You're 100% correct.  Preseason rankings are stupid.  Rankings in general are stupid, but I doubt they'll ever come up with a great post-season system that doesn't allow for journalist's input.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 06, 2023, 10:26:15 AM »
this thread title rocks

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 06, 2023, 10:51:45 AM »

You're 100% correct.  Preseason rankings are stupid.  Rankings in general are stupid, but I doubt they'll ever come up with a great post-season system that doesn't allow for journalist's input.

I think rankings enhance the sport regardless of if they’re antiquated or are beneficial to deciding a national champion or whatever.

They aren’t perfect, but help the layman understand which games are bigger, how non-regional teams stack up with each other, and provide sense of pride/positivity to teams, schools and fans. It’s cool when your team is ranked and then gets talked about nationally and has their highlights on national shows and stuff.

They give people something to talk about and debate and argue.

Who cares how accurate preseason ranking are? It doesn’t really matter. They also typically sort themselves out in the end anyway.

I have a hard time imagining how college sports would be better without rankings.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 06, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »

I think rankings enhance the sport regardless of if they’re antiquated or are beneficial to deciding a national champion or whatever.

They aren’t perfect, but help the layman understand which games are bigger, how non-regional teams stack up with each other, and provide sense of pride/positivity to teams, schools and fans. It’s cool when your team is ranked and then gets talked about nationally and has their highlights on national shows and stuff.

They give people something to talk about and debate and argue.

Who cares how accurate preseason ranking are? It doesn’t really matter. They also typically sort themselves out in the end anyway.

I have a hard time imagining how college sports would be better without rankings.

That would be ok if the rankings were made by unbiased voters, but they're not. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 06, 2023, 11:16:30 AM »

Preseason rankings totally influence end of year rankings. Eliminating preseason and starting rankings after a number of games have been played means rankings can be made solely off of actual results and not where someone started in the preseason poll. I think they would change quite a bit!

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 06, 2023, 11:43:19 AM »
for example, people wouldn't be losing their crap over Colorado beating TCU, because TCU is obviously not a top 25 team.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 06, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »
On what basis is Tcu "obviously" not a top 25 team? No one has any idea, that's the point.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 06, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »
Yeah college football should get rid of rankings. Baseball should get rid of the home run also

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: September 06, 2023, 12:12:34 PM »
for example, people wouldn't be losing their crap over Colorado beating TCU, because TCU is obviously not a top 25 team.

https://youtu.be/mJ58TVYNFro?si=Udl2bCLCFQcIvLgk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 06, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »
Yeah college football should get rid of rankings. Baseball should get rid of the home run also

Yes! Homeruns are the most boring points in sports.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 06, 2023, 12:27:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is a blog post in the royals thread about how I think homeruns should actually be an out.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 06, 2023, 12:28:45 PM »
The preseason rankings prevent beloved teams from falling too far and underdog teams from rising too high.

It's a circle of numbskulls sniffing their own farts and fighting tooth and nail to guide the national conversation so that they can be "right". 

Most AP writers don't watch most games.  I would bet that no coaches watch more than their game and the one or two upcoming opponents.  The former is trying to increase the rank of the team that will get them the most clicks and the later has huge incentive to make their opponents as high ranked as possible.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 06, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
On what basis is Tcu "obviously" not a top 25 team? No one has any idea, that's the point.

On the basis that we watched the game.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 06, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »
If I had a vote on the coaches' poll, I would vote my team first every week, even if we were 0-10.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 06, 2023, 12:41:05 PM »

I have 2 eyeballs that work most of the time.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 06, 2023, 01:23:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is a blog post in the royals thread about how I think homeruns should actually be an out.

There are a lot of dumb posts in that thread for sure.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 06, 2023, 01:25:04 PM »

2021 Dec 5 (thru ccg week) unbiased Colley Matrix.

Next post will be the concurrent AP poll.

I don’t pay for premium Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 06, 2023, 01:26:20 PM »

Dec 5, 2021 AP poll. Can only fit 1-21 in screenshot

Without looking yet, I’m asking how egregious does this seem to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk