Author Topic: RANKINGS...  (Read 132525 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: RANKINGS...
« Reply #1000 on: September 06, 2023, 01:35:32 PM »
What does that have to do with preseason rankings?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 06, 2023, 01:52:38 PM »

I thought part of the gripe about preseason ranking is they make it harder for good teams to be accurately ranked at season’s end. The images I posted imo show that, at least in 2021, that really wasn’t the case.

If the gripe is that the wrong teams simply get too much attention early in the season, then I guess that may be so, but who really cares.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 06, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
Yeah college football should get rid of rankings. Baseball should get rid of the home run also

Yes! Homeruns are the most boring points in sports.
Idk man....Hitting a dinger feels pretty great plus chicks dig the long ball

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 06, 2023, 02:34:12 PM »
On what basis is Tcu "obviously" not a top 25 team? No one has any idea, that's the point.

I have 2 eyeballs that work most of the time.
They’re 1-3 in their last 4 games.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 06, 2023, 02:34:36 PM »
Yeah college football should get rid of rankings. Baseball should get rid of the home run also

Yes! Homeruns are the most boring points in sports.
Idk man....Hitting a dinger feels pretty great plus chicks dig the long ball

Concur
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: September 06, 2023, 02:55:21 PM »

I thought part of the gripe about preseason ranking is they make it harder for good teams to be accurately ranked at season’s end. The images I posted imo show that, at least in 2021, that really wasn’t the case.

If the gripe is that the wrong teams simply get too much attention early in the season, then I guess that may be so, but who really cares.

I wonder if UCF cares?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 06, 2023, 03:49:11 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

They definitely should have been in the playoff, but was that due to their preseason ranking or their body of work? Do the polls even come into the equation for the selection committee?

Colley had UCF at 3 heading into the playoff I believe.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 06, 2023, 05:00:08 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

The rankings that matter don't start until midseason and they didn't care for UCF.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 06, 2023, 05:03:28 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

The rankings that matter don't start until midseason and they didn't care for UCF.
Those rankings are influenced by preseason AP and Coaches rankings too! Even if they aren't supposed to be, they are.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 06, 2023, 05:42:05 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

Those rankings are influenced by preseason AP and Coaches rankings too! Even if they aren't supposed to be, they are.

At that point in the season the polls are almost never different than the various computer ratings, particularly at the top..

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 06, 2023, 05:43:13 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

At that point in the season the polls are almost never different than the various computer ratings, particularly at the top..
That's why I mentioned UCF!

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 06, 2023, 05:51:41 PM »

I wonder if UCF cares?

That's why I mentioned UCF!

Right but that undercuts your point about the ap and coaches poll having influence with the CFP poll.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 07, 2023, 09:12:32 AM »
Preseason polls should exist because they're fun.  If we want to get all haughty about polls that "matter," the only poll that technically "matters" (outside of soft issues like brand, prestige, etc.), is the final CFP poll before the playoff.  The rest of the polls are just fun for fans to goof off with and argue about.

FWIW, I think the polls (ap/coaching/playoff) all matter bigtime because it's more fun if you treat them that way.  And I love polls -- especially preseason polls because they're fun!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:17:13 AM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 07, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »
Griping about preseason polls seems pointless to me. If AP suddenly cared about accuracy and stopped doing them the first few weeks, someone else would do it and we’d have the same conversation about those rankings.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 07, 2023, 09:32:33 AM »
If only we had someone in our ranks to keep AP pollsters honest on the twitters...
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 07, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
Preseason polls should exist because they're fun.  If we want to get all haughty about polls that "matter," the only poll that technically "matters" (outside of soft issues like brand, prestige, etc.), is the final CFP poll before the playoff.  The rest of the polls are just fun for fans to goof off with and argue about.

FWIW, I think the polls (ap/coaching/playoff) all matter bigtime because it's more fun if you treat them that way.  And I love polls -- especially preseason polls because they're fun!

Agreed. Pollsters just need to be quicker to change their opinions early. You preseason rank a team 12 and they get blown out, drop their ass! Don't just bump them to 21.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 07, 2023, 01:13:54 PM »

Agreed. Pollsters just need to be quicker to change their opinions early. You preseason rank a team 12 and they get blown out, drop their ass! Don't just bump them to 21.
YES!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 09, 2023, 02:17:43 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that; Duke was a nine-win team last season and TCU scored a bunch of points so no domination.  I would agree with Michcat, the AP should wait until the fourth game to rank.  Teams don't really show their plays until the fourth game, which at this point is a conference game.

Duke being good has nothing to do with Clemson being overrated. Duke didn't force Clemson to start a QB1 who can't throw the ball beyond 10 yards down field.

https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1700581726400250172

https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1700583801502458165

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 09, 2023, 02:19:29 PM »
Buddy of mine played at Charleston southern

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 11, 2023, 06:17:00 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: September 11, 2023, 09:26:26 AM »
That chart should dedicate more space to, idk, the chart, rather than the title and axis titles.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 11, 2023, 09:35:51 AM »
I like that it uses this font

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1022 on: September 11, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »
The purity of that meme never fails to make me smile. 

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 11, 2023, 06:29:16 PM »
 :emawkid:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
You can bet they’ll have a Jayhawk graphic ready come next week.