Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 482018 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #3200 on: April 28, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Going to smoke some salmon this weekend :dunno: Don't have the time to do much else but want to get something going.

brine that slutwhore

Absolutely.  I usually brine the night before and then brush with a honey/lemon juice/ancho glaze as I smoke.  The glaze doesn't add much flavor but gives it enough to just eat plain if I want.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: April 28, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
This is easily one of my favorite threads. Very entertaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »
I am def going to try salmon this spring.   How long does that smoke take?  Also, pretty low temp too, right?  I haven't even looked into it yet.  Also, when broiling or grilling I notice a huge diff btwn sockeye and keta.  Does the smoke cover that diff, or still important to get the sockeye? 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: April 28, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
Going to smoke some salmon this weekend :dunno: Don't have the time to do much else but want to get something going.

brine that Becky

:sdeek:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: April 28, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
Re: salmon, what do you actually buy?  Whole salmon?  Just filets?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: April 28, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
I buy filets with skin on, but I suppose you could do whole if you wanted.

Same temp as normal Qing, 225ish, unless you are doing a cold smoke but I haven't had the balls to try that yet.  Time depends on filet thickness, maybe an hour+.  It's been a while. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »

did this a few weeks ago.   Used a buddy's recipe.  Thought it turned out a little too salty but will def. do again.    Was great on bagels and in smoked salmon dip.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »

Same temp as normal Qing, 225ish, unless you are doing a cold smoke but I haven't had the balls to try that yet.  Time depends on filet thickness, maybe an hour+.  It's been a while.

I was listening to this one podcast today, guest was the guy from Hunt Gather Cook, and he was raving about salmon cheek meat and then also spoon meat.  Said during salmon season he ends up giving away all the filets and just eats the other stuff.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: April 28, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »

I was listening to this one podcast today, guest was the guy from Hunt Gather Cook, and he was raving about salmon cheek meat and then also spoon meat.  Said during salmon season he ends up giving away all the filets and just eats the other stuff.

I've heard cheek meat from lots of proteins are delicious, and fish collars are of course popular.   But what is spoon meat?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: April 28, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »

did this a few weeks ago.   Used a buddy's recipe.  Thought it turned out a little too salty but will def. do again.    Was great on bagels and in smoked salmon dip.

you have to follow the brine recipe closely.  the time mine came out too salty, i messed up the sugar to salt ratio.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: April 28, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »

ya 45 mins or so for me

does anyone who smokes salmon have any tricks to avoid the albumin (white stuff) that comes out when cooking?
glaze is supposed to help but i've never glazed mine.  never seems like an issue at restaurants.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 28, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »

I've heard cheek meat from lots of proteins are delicious, and fish collars are of course popular.   But what is spoon meat?

(I think) Spoon meat is when you just take a spoon and pick up everything that is left on the spine/bones after fileting the fish.  He takes all that, puts in in a bowl with some other stuff, makes patties, and grills.  I think if you google salmon spoon meat you'll find some recipes.

http://honest-food.net/2009/07/17/six-days-of-salmon/

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 28, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »

ya 45 mins or so for me

does anyone who smokes salmon have any tricks to avoid the albumin (white stuff) that comes out when cooking?
glaze is supposed to help but i've never glazed mine.  never seems like an issue at restaurants.

That white crap happens.  I have no idea if glazing or brining or anything else helps because I've only done it one way.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 29, 2016, 10:53:05 AM »
Ate at Justin Timberlake's Southern Hospitality last night, it was ok. Had the brisket, ribs, and hot links, w/ sides of mashed potatoes, beans, and fried okra, all for a decent price.

Will go back.

where is this?

Sorry, TBT. It's in Denver, thought there were more locations, but appears it's only in Colorado right now.

The Big Train

goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #3214 on: April 29, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
Ate at Justin Timberlake's Southern Hospitality last night, it was ok. Had the brisket, ribs, and hot links, w/ sides of mashed potatoes, beans, and fried okra, all for a decent price.

Will go back.

where is this?

Sorry, TBT. It's in Denver, thought there were more locations, but appears it's only in Colorado right now.

Hmm, I'll be in Denver in 2 weeks, may try and sneak a trip there

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 29, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
ya you should go there, it's right up there with pie 5 in terms of quality

The Big Train

« Reply #3216 on: April 29, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
ya you should go there, it's right up there with pie 5 in terms of quality

I'll probably get dry ribs with no sauce and the house fries to create a 'clams experience

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 29, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
forgot to mention- i was in north carolina a few weeks ago and had their version of pulled pork.  it's gross.  they pull the pork and then chop it all up and then mix the apple cider vinegar/red pepper flakes into it.  not good.

KC's version is so much better than what they do down there

also, they don't call it pulled pork.  they call it "BBQ"  :lol:  they were going to pick up some " BBQ" and i was like, what kind of BBQ, and they looked at me like i was crazy.  then i realized that they really only do pulled pork and ribs, smdh   :rolleyes:  enjoy your "BBQ" 

good grief dax and slobber get ahold of your neighbors

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 29, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
 :lol: omg, that's a made up story right?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
That story may or may not have happened but his overall point of Carolina style BBQ sucking ass is spot on.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 29, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »
Not made up.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »
I threw up in my mouth reading that
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
forgot to mention- i was in north carolina a few weeks ago and had their version of pulled pork.  it's gross.  they pull the pork and then chop it all up and then mix the apple cider vinegar/red pepper flakes into it.  not good.

KC's version is so much better than what they do down there

also, they don't call it pulled pork.  they call it "BBQ"  :lol:  they were going to pick up some " BBQ" and i was like, what kind of BBQ, and they looked at me like i was crazy.  then i realized that they really only do pulled pork and ribs, smdh   :rolleyes:  enjoy your "BBQ" 

good grief dax and slobber get ahold of your neighbors

I've had a similar experience.

weirdos

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »
I had authentic NC barbecue in Albemarle at Log Cabin Bar-B-Cue (rated 4.5 stars on Google by stupid Carolinians). It was exactly like clams described.  Unbelievable, I was so crestfallen.
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 01, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
It's actually kind of tasty, but it's not BBQ, and when I tell people that they get all  :curse:

In the Western 3rd of the state there's a lot more places that do real BBQ, and places that smoke the meat are becoming  gradually  more prolific in the Eastern part of the state. 

I smoked seafood tonight, tho.   Over beech wood on maple and cedar planks.   This included Salmon, I did no brining just a salt/pepper/brown sugar/garlic rub, it was pretty good, but the other fish (Mahi) was better.   Everytime someone uses a traditional brine on Salmon that I've been around it's always way too salty. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:23:06 AM by sonofdaxjones »