Author Topic: Google Fiber  (Read 30894 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fiber
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
so if i moved next door, free internet is available is what you're saying.  got it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »
Check out this amazing internet service that Centurylink charges my inlaws $85 a month for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Looks like a poor choice

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »

Got another email from the OP folks

I am providing a link to Monday's City Council agenda. The second item listed includes a proposed agreement with Google Fiber - http://apps.opkansas.org/City-Government/Agendas-and-Minutes/City-Council/Agendas/2013/2013-09-16/agenda.html

ACTION ITEM
 Google Network Services Agreement and related License Agreement and Structure
Attachment and Conduit Occupancy Agreement

Policy Issue: Should the Governing Body approve the Google Network Services Agreement and
related License Agreement and Structure Attachment and Conduit Occupancy Agreement?

Staff Recommendation: NA

Background: Google Fiber Kansas has requested the City enter into a Network Services
Agreement, License Agreement and Structure Attachment and Conduit Occupancy Agreement.
City Attorney, Mike Santos and legal counsel, Todd LaSala, have provided an Executive
Summary regarding the documents that is attached.

Budget Impact: Unknown

Attachments:
- Google Network Services Agreement and related License Agreement and Structure Attachment
and Conduit Occupancy Agreement.
- Executive Summary

:pray:

GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT ALMOST A DECADE! Google fiber is presently being installed in my neighborhood.   :excited: 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 05, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »
That's fantastic Pete, congratulations
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2021, 08:46:10 PM »
That's fantastic Pete, congratulations

I am over the moon.  I'm going to get a bunch of their wifi mesh devices and just cover this god damn house.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 05, 2021, 08:47:06 PM »
Also, I will probably never sell my house now.  Guess I should have bought those high efficiency windows and junk a few years back. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 06, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »
 :sdeek:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 06, 2021, 09:58:26 AM »
Also, I will probably never sell my house now.  Guess I should have bought those high efficiency windows and junk a few years back.

The other good part about this is that all of your other providers will now magically be way faster and less expensive. I'll prob never leave Google because its fantastic and screw the other companies for gouging me all those years, but its nice having other options.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 06, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »

The other good part about this is that all of your other providers will now magically be way faster and less expensive. I'll prob never leave Google because its fantastic and screw the other companies for gouging me all those years, but its nice having other options.

Yeah, I am actually seriously considering just keeping my current cable internet service as a backup solution in addition to getting google fiber internet.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 06, 2021, 11:31:09 AM »
Just had Google Fiber hooked up about a month ago.  It’s great.  And felt so good to mush Comcast in their fat faces once and for all.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #311 on: July 06, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
Very jealous of our Google Fiber. Spectrum and AT&T mushed the permitting process in Louisville. Bastards.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 06, 2021, 11:50:42 AM »
I've been resisting the urge to upgrade to 2gig service because 1gig is already way too much for me but that I doubt I'll last much longer.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 06, 2021, 11:51:55 AM »
Very jealous of our Google Fiber. Spectrum and AT&T mushed the permitting process in Louisville. Bastards.

My experience is that if you email the crap out of your local officials and wait 8 years, then it all works out for the best.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 12, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
https://9to5google.com/2023/12/11/google-fiber-20-gig-price/

Any of you guys going to give the new 20 gig speed a shot?  I can’t really think of a non-business use case.  I’ve double and triple checked our pron speed and it seems good, so I will probably stay with my current Google fiber arrangement.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 12, 2023, 08:21:09 AM »
my home app says that i have 900mbs download/upload

can't fathom needing more than that

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 12, 2023, 08:23:59 AM »
Honestly, what's the point? Anything you use it for, you're just going to get shoved through a much smaller nose hole at some point along the chain.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 12, 2023, 08:29:00 AM »
Even a gig seems like massive overkill for residential use
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 12, 2023, 08:51:55 AM »
Yeah, unless your job or whatever requires huge files to be downloaded or uploaded, 1 gig is more than enough. On a separate note, I got an email from them about a month or so ago saying my router was old and needed upgraded. I had that and the google pucks I got from costco spread around the house. They worked great and I never noticed any issues outside of a couple small dead zones. They sent me a new router with an extender and holy crap. Just the router and the extender hit my whole house and everywhere has at least 5 times faster speeds than I was getting. If you have an old router, i'd recommend calling them and asking for a new one.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2023, 08:59:50 AM »

I would like to qualify this by stating up front that I don't know anything about anything and am barely functionally literate, but I was once told by a network professional that the copper network cable in your house will prevent you from enjoying speeds above 1gig no matter what wild speeds your service provider is lying to you about providing to your house. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 12, 2023, 09:01:14 AM »
The only time I notice anything is if we have a bunch of friends or family over and the kids are all streaming games etc and the tvs are all going.

Even then I might complain that the 4k football/basketball/soccer game is struggling.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Google Fiber
« Reply #321 on: December 12, 2023, 09:58:01 AM »

I would like to qualify this by stating up front that I don't know anything about anything and am barely functionally literate, but I was once told by a network professional that the copper network cable in your house will prevent you from enjoying speeds above 1gig no matter what wild speeds your service provider is lying to you about providing to your house.
I could understand this point if you’re relying on Ethernet cables somewhere along the way, but at our house AT&T literally drilled a hole in our wall and plugged the fiber cable right into the modem/router. So idk how copper wires would work into the equation at all.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2023, 10:02:39 AM »

I could understand this point if you’re relying on Ethernet cables somewhere along the way, but at our house AT&T literally drilled a hole in our wall and plugged the fiber cable right into the modem/router. So idk how copper wires would work into the equation at all.

yeah, pretty sure they run all new fiber cables to your house and then you just connect cat 5 or 6 from there. The old copper stuff is just chilling there not doing anything, but what do I know?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »
CNS doesn't stand for Neurosurgeon, guys
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2023, 10:29:57 AM »

Are you fiber from your router to your PC?  If not, are you copper?  If you're wifi, that could also be limiting it.  I had major service issues with AT&T about 8 yrs ago with my up and down speeds.  I was buying 100g speed and was only getting 30ish.  Their tech told me that the 100g is only for hard wire and that wifi was limited to approx 35ish, speed wise.  So, I would assume your router could be a choke point on new systems as well  :dunno: