Author Topic: The Whiskey Thread  (Read 91504 times)

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #775 on: February 09, 2021, 07:47:14 AM »
I like Lagavulin 16, but it's probably pricier than it's worth.
That's my favorite. I think it's priced accordingly.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 09, 2021, 10:50:33 AM »
not an entry level whisky

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 09, 2021, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 09, 2021, 10:06:26 PM »
my first scotch (after committing to becoming an enthusiast) was Highland Park 12. I think it is a good entry level whisky.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 10, 2021, 06:08:16 AM »
Anything that’s not a blend is a good place to start.

You just kind of have to find your lane after that

I would start with extra peaty because people tend to either love or hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 10, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
I would watch hundreds of hours of tasting videos on YouTube and then decide

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 10, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
I bought a bottle of this the other night.  It's pretty tasty.

@mikec2w

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 10, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »
just get blackout on monkey shoulder like a normie

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #783 on: February 10, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »
Cutty Sark baby

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 11, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »

No offense Cire but I think this is terrible advice.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 11, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
just get blackout on monkey shoulder like a normie
Normies don't drink monkey shoulder.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »

Noob question: is that flavor that tastes like the soil of Scotland in Johnny Walker black but isn’t present in bourbon “peaty-ness”?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2021, 01:07:31 PM »
Have you guys watched this doc?  It's on HULU and it's really good.  I rarely drink bourbon or whiskey but it's really interesting and the visuals are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJHBLEaNZ3c

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
Neat!

Haha

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 27, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
i'm a big fan of jack daniels.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 27, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »

Noob question: is that flavor that tastes like the soil of Scotland in Johnny Walker black but isn’t present in bourbon “peaty-ness”?
When people describe a Scotch as peaty they are talking about the smoky flavor. Peat is used as fuel to dry the malted barley in the mash. Islay Scotches tend to be especially peaty and briny.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 25, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
hey @IPA do you live around Louisville? If so I was hoping for another gE.c success story...I'm looking for a bottle but its only available to be purchased from their distillery in Louisville...

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 25, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »
I cannot fathom enjoying whiskey "tasting." 

I don't drink whiskey anymore, but when I did I'd wager that I drank more of it than most of this blog put together.  It all tastes like crap.  All of it.  If it didn't eff me up, I would have never drank it.  All whiskey also tasted better with Diet Coke mixed with it, except Scotch.  That tasted like crap in Diet Coke too.

Now that I don't drink anymore, if someone came up to me and handed me a whiskey that allegedly tasted like the finest whiskey in the world, but it contained zero intoxicants, there is zero chance in the world that I would drink it.  LOL.   

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 25, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »

I don't drink whiskey anymore, but when I did I'd wager that I drank more of it than most of this blog put together.  It all tastes like crap.  All of it.  If it didn't eff me up, I would have never drank it.  All whiskey also tasted better with Diet Coke mixed with it, except Scotch.  That tasted like crap in Diet Coke too.

Now that I don't drink anymore, if someone came up to me and handed me a whiskey that allegedly tasted like the finest whiskey in the world, but it contained zero intoxicants, there is zero chance in the world that I would drink it.  LOL.
Why did you stop using alcohol? [i'm curious but feel free to tell me that it is none of my damn business.]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 25, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »

Why did you stop using alcohol? [i'm curious but feel free to tell me that it is none of my damn business.]

It had me by the balls and taint and ball sack.  I have zero problems with others drinking alcohol, and I always thought wine and craft beer tasted great. Spirits however, no one would drink that if it didn't kick our asses.  People who can drink responsibly should enjoy the eff out of it tho.  I just lost that power at some point...there was no such thing as a "couple of drink."  If I had 2, I was going to want to have half a dozen or 10 or whatever.  I mean, most of the time I could force myself to have 2 if I had to, but it was not very pleasant at all.  It was a progressive thing...I "drank" for 20 years and never lost a job etc., but it was always headed in the wrong direction...sometimes slowly progressing, sometimes more quickly, but by the end it was picking up steam.  Just something to watch out for.  You'll know if it's getting worse than it was 3 years ago, that's a good thing to watch out for. If it isn't, and you don't find yourself drinking more than you should, live it up man!  I sure as hell would.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 25, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »

It had me by the balls and taint and ball sack.  I have zero problems with others drinking alcohol, and I always thought wine and craft beer tasted great. Spirits however, no one would drink that if it didn't kick our asses.  People who can drink responsibly should enjoy the eff out of it tho.  I just lost that power at some point...there was no such thing as a "couple of drink."  If I had 2, I was going to want to have half a dozen or 10 or whatever.  I mean, most of the time I could force myself to have 2 if I had to, but it was not very pleasant at all.  It was a progressive thing...I "drank" for 20 years and never lost a job etc., but it was always headed in the wrong direction...sometimes slowly progressing, sometimes more quickly, but by the end it was picking up steam.  Just something to watch out for.  You'll know if it's getting worse than it was 3 years ago, that's a good thing to watch out for. If it isn't, and you don't find yourself drinking more than you should, live it up man!  I sure as hell would.
Thanks, Pete. Glad to hear that you are in a healthy place now.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 25, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
No worries. Lot of people on this blog knew already from Fatty Fest and stuff.  I'm not shy about it or whatever.  Still, point is that whiskey is poop tasting, and I cannot believe that rough ridin' clams talks all this crap on beer and then is like "ooohhh whiskey tastes good."  Whatever clams.   :rolleyes:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 25, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
I can handle harsher, more full-bodied spirits, on the occasion I imbibe because they force a slow pace (strong bourbons, gins).

I’m right there with Pete for the smooth stuff, like crown, especially if I’ve got a full bottle to drink. It almost always ends up with me drinking way too much, semi-blacking out having enormous regret and embarrassment the next day.

This is almost never the case with any other substance or form of booze.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 25, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »
I can handle harsher, more full-bodied spirits, on the occasion I imbibe because they force a slow pace (strong bourbons, gins).

I’m right there with Pete for the smooth stuff, like crown, especially if I’ve got a full bottle to drink. It almost always ends up with me drinking way too much, semi-blacking out having enormous regret and embarrassment the next day.

I should clarify, I drank that way with everything, not just whiskey and Diet Coke.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2021, 05:23:01 PM »

I should clarify, I drank that way with everything, not just whiskey and Diet Coke.

Yep. 90% of my spirits are consumed neat, which is why crown is just a no go for me.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.