Author Topic: Summer Olympics thread  (Read 76284 times)

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #775 on: July 27, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
Pretty horrible day for the USOC. The softball women lost in the gold medal game and Simone Biles just said, "nah, I'm good."
The discourse around this is really strange too. Mental health is important, but pretending this is a good thing is total nonsense.  ESPN called her “the ultimate teammate” after quitting on her team, because she cheered and got them chalk.

It's not like she had 5 years to get mentally ready for the Olympics.  This is probably more on the coaches than anything.

It's not just that for me, and I'll start this by saying she's an amazing athlete, one of the best if not the best OAT regardless of this decision, and I can kinda of see the whole when you know or can tell you're off, letting them know something isn't right and feeling like not competing is better than competing may just indeed be the best path forward, and I'm also not going to discount her at all, I can't imagine the pressure of being basically the face of this olympics for Team USA, has to be brutal.

That all being said, it's an unbelievable gut punch to her team and teammates to do that, you're the ringer, you're the ace. This is like Lebron, or Brady, or Mahomes or whoever just deciding right in the clutch moment to not perform and not be that clutch person and walk off the field and be like "you know I feel off, I'm just going to sit this out." Her (and their) entire life has revolved around that sport, the hours, practice, determination, everything, true competitors get to that level because they want to be there, so to just up and not want it is just astounding to me. It's such a departure from what makes elite athletes (or really anyone who is elite) tick. Be it artists, musicians, or any top notch professional. And if that feeling of burnout and self doubt no doubt exists in their psyche, but to have others count on your, and pull that rug out right at the moment you are set to perform what you've worked your whole life for, if not for you, do it for your teammates. It's a bitterly disappointing move from such a big star.

I do think though there is going to be a pretty juicy back story to come to light from this, it won't be pretty, I doubt she arrived at that decision organically, I wonder what machinations are going on behind the scenes....

Yeah, and the mental health issues that did lead her to leave her team in the biggest moment, have to be deeper than something that can be fixed in a week.  It will be interesting if she comes back for the individual events and just kills it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 27, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »
Pretty horrible day for the USOC. The softball women lost in the gold medal game and Simone Biles just said, "nah, I'm good."
The discourse around this is really strange too. Mental health is important, but pretending this is a good thing is total nonsense.  ESPN called her “the ultimate teammate” after quitting on her team, because she cheered and got them chalk.

It's not like she had 5 years to get mentally ready for the Olympics.  This is probably more on the coaches than anything.

It's not just that for me, and I'll start this by saying she's an amazing athlete, one of the best if not the best OAT regardless of this decision, and I can kinda of see the whole when you know or can tell you're off, letting them know something isn't right and feeling like not competing is better than competing may just indeed be the best path forward, and I'm also not going to discount her at all, I can't imagine the pressure of being basically the face of this olympics for Team USA, has to be brutal.

That all being said, it's an unbelievable gut punch to her team and teammates to do that, you're the ringer, you're the ace. This is like Lebron, or Brady, or Mahomes or whoever just deciding right in the clutch moment to not perform and not be that clutch person and walk off the field and be like "you know I feel off, I'm just going to sit this out." Her (and their) entire life has revolved around that sport, the hours, practice, determination, everything, true competitors get to that level because they want to be there, so to just up and not want it is just astounding to me. It's such a departure from what makes elite athletes (or really anyone who is elite) tick. Be it artists, musicians, or any top notch professional. And if that feeling of burnout and self doubt no doubt exists in their psyche, but to have others count on your, and pull that rug out right at the moment you are set to perform what you've worked your whole life for, if not for you, do it for your teammates. It's a bitterly disappointing move from such a big star.

I do think though there is going to be a pretty juicy back story to come to light from this, it won't be pretty, I doubt she arrived at that decision organically, I wonder what machinations are going on behind the scenes....

Yeah, and the mental health issues that did lead her to leave her team in the biggest moment, have to be deeper than something that can be fixed in a week.  It will be interesting if she comes back for the individual events and just kills it.

Absolutely, you have to be pretty far gone to make that decision the way she did IMO, I do hope if it truly is that, she gets the help she needs because damn, what a moment to have that mental break happen, she had to have snapped well before this olympics and she didn't realize it.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 27, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »

It's absolutely a good thing. I hate that we want athletes to crap we would never do, all in the name of entertainment. Most people get sick days and/or mental health days at their job. She felt the need to use one of hers, good for her, she's accomplished all that she can in her career. If she woke up one day and said, you know what, eff this, she's 100% earned it. Think of the most accomplished person in the history of your employer, you think they can get away with things that Johnny Come In At 9:01 Everyday does? eff yes, because they earned it.

The Kerri Strug thing was awesome when it happened, but it was unnecessary. That was a 19 year old girl who, we know in retrospect, felt like she needed to but her body in harms way for what we now know were very abusive coaches. She was literally frightened into running on, vaulting, and landing on an ankle with two torn ligaments. That's rough ridin' deplorable and emblematic of what USA Gymnastics are. Now we come full circle to this woman, who was raped repeatedly by her rough ridin' team doctor, having to perform for USA Gymnastics, who not only covered for that monster, but then didn't wholeheartedly support the woman who were victimized by said monster.

If anybody in the history of life earned the right to do a Forrest Gump and just stop, turn around and go home, it was Simone Biles. Good for her.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 27, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »
thanks MiR. was gonna say there were some really shitty takes flying around ITT

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »
Her body her choice. She doesn’t owe anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: July 27, 2021, 06:15:18 PM »
I did want to see her do her crazy trick in competition though

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
Very well said mir.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 27, 2021, 08:20:06 PM »
Very well said mir.
Yes

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #783 on: July 27, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1420122875323985920

Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro are like the perfect storm of:

a) people I believe I could beat the crap out of irl while wearing flip flops
b) people that need the living crap beat out of them irl.

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:09 PM »
Isnt 24 really old for gymnastics??

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 27, 2021, 08:57:25 PM »
Isnt 24 really old for gymnastics??

Ancient. Someone obv had to persuade her pretty hard to do these olympics. All for the ratings and ad sales of course.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 27, 2021, 08:59:23 PM »

It's so weird that these chuds along with Clay Travis make this crap political. Even for them!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 27, 2021, 09:05:37 PM »
Appreciate the perspective MIR. Not sure I’m 100% of the way there with you, but I see it. Ultimately she should give zero shits about the opinions of anyone but her teammates here.  Coaches, USA Gymnastics, jackwad American fans? eff em.
:adios:

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 27, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »

It's so weird that these chuds along with Clay Travis make this crap political. Even for them!

Know your audience.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 27, 2021, 09:31:20 PM »
Lock her up.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »

I think a lot of people either don't know or forgot about her being assaulted by Nasser. I am also certain that people didn't know that Strug actually didn't need to do that vault, didn't know the nature of her injury, at the time we thought it was "just" a sprained ankle, and I'm definitely sure 99.95% of casual Olympics watchers, even those who are devoted sports fans don't know about the Karoli's history of physical and mental a use of their gymnasts.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 27, 2021, 09:51:37 PM »
eff, Katie Ledecky didn't medal either. Today in Japan is starting just as shitty as yesterday was. Good on Carissa Moore hooking up that surfing gold though, happy for her. Concast had a congrats commercial ready, that was cool.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
eff, Katie Ledecky didn't medal either. Today in Japan is starting just as shitty as yesterday was. Good on Carissa Moore hooking up that surfing gold though, happy for her. Concast had a congrats commercial ready, that was cool.
I think she won? Or was that an alert for a different race? She won the 1500
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 27, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 28, 2021, 01:05:57 AM »
Women's water polo lost :frown:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: July 28, 2021, 01:31:28 AM »
Simone done :frown:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 28, 2021, 01:50:44 AM »
I think she won? Or was that an alert for a different race? She won the 1500

Didn't medal in the 200, won the 1500 like an hour later. Pretty amazing that she even made the finals in two such different events.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 28, 2021, 01:55:51 AM »

I think a lot of people either don't know or forgot about her being assaulted by Nasser. I am also certain that people didn't know that Strug actually didn't need to do that vault, didn't know the nature of her injury, at the time we thought it was "just" a sprained ankle, and I'm definitely sure 99.95% of casual Olympics watchers, even those who are devoted sports fans don't know about the Karoli's history of physical and mental a use of their gymnasts.

So I just watched the actual competition, it's pretty obvious that if she continued she was going to hurt herself. It got to the point where it was legitimately dangerous for her to be performing, she looked awful in the two vaults she did. She literally bailed midair on both attempts and rolled out her landing on the first one, literally had to roll because her landing was so poor.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 28, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »

So I just watched the actual competition, it's pretty obvious that if she continued she was going to hurt herself. It got to the point where it was legitimately dangerous for her to be performing, she looked awful in the two vaults she did. She literally bailed midair on both attempts and rolled out her landing on the first one, literally had to roll because her landing was so poor.
David Dennis had a fantastic tweet to the effect of "Michael Jordan would NEVER quit basketball to get his mind right after a traumatic event" and he cowardly deleted it

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1420357931548168193

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1420356851581992961

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1420355089705865223

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 28, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »

For the record, I was never saying Simone removing herself for her mental issues was bogus, or inappropriate.  She should have done what she did.  I think her coaches failed big time in getting her ready.  Obviously the Olympic women's gymnastic coaches are giant POS, so it's not surprising, but the pressure on her to perform and win in 2020 started immediately after she did so in 2016.  There needs to be more attention put on them for not getting her mentally ready, imo.  And then them coming out and saying she is going to get professional help in Japan and come back in less than a week and compete was ridiculous.