Author Topic: Summer Olympics thread  (Read 75664 times)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #825 on: August 02, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
i don’t think Canada even had a shot on goal before that (p sure they ended up just having one late).  when crap paused later the thought never even crossed my mind of that getting called

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 02, 2021, 05:55:36 AM »
i don’t think Canada even had a shot on goal before that (p sure they ended up just having one late).  when crap paused later the thought never even crossed my mind of that getting called
When watching it live it looked more like a foul on the Canadian player.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 02, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
I'm excited to see the women's 400M hurdles final.

The guy from Italy who won the 100M looked like he could play linebacker in the NFL. Without Usain Bolt, the 100M is kinda boring. His 100M win in Beijing was one of the 2-3 most amazing things I've seen in sports.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 02, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »

The guy from Italy who won the 100M looked like he could play linebacker in the NFL. Without Usain Bolt, the 100M is kinda boring. His 100M win in Beijing was one of the 2-3 most amazing things I've seen in sports.

The Beijing Olympics had several great moments, that being one. The other was the come from behind relay for Phelps to be able to 8 golds. Most intense swim I've ever seen.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 02, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »

The Beijing Olympics had several great moments, that being one. The other was the come from behind relay for Phelps to be able to 8 golds. Most intense swim I've ever seen.
That's the weird thing about swimming. Is there any other sport where someone could win 8 medals (let alone gold) in one Olympics? It seems like the different swimming events just test the same set of skills over and over. In track and field, getting 3+ medals is pretty rare. Not saying that Phelps' swimming wasn't amazing but I enjoyed Bolt a lot more.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 02, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »

That's the weird thing about swimming. Is there any other sport where someone could win 8 medals (let alone gold) in one Olympics? It seems like the different swimming events just test the same set of skills over and over. In track and field, getting 3+ medals is pretty rare. Not saying that Phelps' swimming wasn't amazing but I enjoyed Bolt a lot more.
A gymnast can win six (beam, bars, vault, floor, all around and team). The medleys that Phelps won require four different swimming strokes so I don't know how fair it is to say it's the same set of skills.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 02, 2021, 01:27:02 PM »

A gymnast can win six (beam, bars, vault, floor, all around and team). The medleys that Phelps won require four different swimming strokes so I don't know how fair it is to say it's the same set of skills.
Simone Biles (greatest gymnast, OAT?) won 5 (four gold, one bronze in 2016). Carl Lewis and FloJo each won four medals in the 1980s in track.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 02, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »
Did anyone see the two high jumpers who shared gold? 

If not here you go:
https://youtu.be/GjSCT97GSsA

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 02, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »
3:45 is where the good part starts.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 02, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
Did anyone see the two high jumpers who shared gold? 

If not here you go:
https://youtu.be/GjSCT97GSsA
That was great.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 02, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »

Simone Biles (greatest gymnast, OAT?) won 5 (four gold, one bronze in 2016). Carl Lewis and FloJo each won four medals in the 1980s in track.

I am definitely not going to undercut Phelps' accomplishments for winning 8 golds but yeah, it is fairly crazy to me how an elite swimmer can rack up tons of hardware but other very capable athletes are lucky to walk away with more than 1 just based on the event. I get there is so much effort into it all, and that each stroke isn't like a carbon copy of the next, but it's still so much.

And if you're a player on a team sport, then you're really hosed, best you get is 1 medal, but there are still plenty of individual medals that basically are one event too, thinking of like tennis (and I mean individual, not doubles) or golf or judo or w/e.

To me it's like in a totally different and more judgey arena accomplishing an EGOT is really freaking easy if you are a composer and way harder for everyone else.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 02, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
I've got 7 egots without really trying, tbh.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 03, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Men's 400M hurdles record obliterated:

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1422399665807536145?s=20

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 03, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »

This was a great watch.  The American in 2nd has to be pretty disappointed at getting 2nd with a time that would've been a WR at the beginning of the day.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 03, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »

This was a great watch.  The American in 2nd has to be pretty disappointed at getting 2nd with a time that would've been a WR at the beginning of the day.
Just crazy. Rai Benjamin destroyed the competition in the US Olympic Trials and didn't break a sweat.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/8wL9L0Kwf0o

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 04, 2021, 08:51:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1422750952692535300

Woah
Watching the race it's even more impressive if you look at the last 2 hurdles and the ground she made up.

Tom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 06, 2021, 08:24:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1422750952692535300

Woah
Watching the race it's even more impressive if you look at the last 2 hurdles and the ground she made up.

Tom

Amazing.

What is going on with the US Men's 4 x 100? 6th in the prelims??

Canadian guy went over 9000 points in the decathalon to win gold.

Nothing but finals from here on out. Looking forward to it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 06, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »
K-Stater Kenny Harrison still holds the Olympic record in the triple jump (96 Atlanta). Triple jump is kind of a weird event. Why three jumps, why not two or four?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 06, 2021, 03:11:36 PM »
Why three jumps, why not two or four?

Saw this referenced the other day. Pretty funny.

Historical sources on the ancient Olympic Games occasionally mention jumps of 15 meters or more. This led sports historians to conclude that these must have been a series of jumps, thus providing the basis for the triple jump.[2] However, there is no evidence for the triple jump being included in the ancient Olympic Games, and it is possible that the recorded extraordinary distances are due to artistic license of the authors of victory poems, rather than attempts to report accurate results

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_jump

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 06, 2021, 04:12:15 PM »
Yo Gracas, did you see the dude totally jump like 15 meters which haven't even been invented yet?!?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2021, 08:20:45 AM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 04, 2022, 10:52:04 AM »
If I had the energy for a China Olympics thread, this would be absolutely PERFECT for it.

https://twitter.com/SarahMya2000/status/1489588942596935683