Author Topic: Kc restaurant suggestions  (Read 480720 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Kc restaurant suggestions
« Reply #6350 on: November 24, 2023, 05:43:58 PM »
ipa truly does not want any of this smoke
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: November 24, 2023, 05:59:16 PM »
I haven't darkened the doors of any places other than Joes or Q39 in several years. I'm ashamed of myself.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #6352 on: November 24, 2023, 06:02:23 PM »
ipa truly does not want any of this smoke
This is true

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: November 25, 2023, 01:02:07 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed in multiple places and possibly multiple times in this thread, but let's discuss KC BBQ. Everyone can talk about which place is the best, and that's boring. I want to know who has the best:

1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Pulled Pork
4. Sauce
5. Sides

I'm not well experienced with KC BBQ, I've eaten at the famous places once or twice. In my experience, Arthur Bryant's has the best brisket and sauce (I realize it's a love or hate flavor) and Joe's KC has the best ribs. And Jack Stack and Q39 are pretty damn good at everything, but not great at anything.

So where should Mrs. Stevesie and I go on our KC BBQ tour?

I must admit I've been in somewhat of a rut BBQ wise as I don't go a lot so I go to what I know I like when I do go.

1. Ribs - Joes / Slaps
2. Brisket - No leader for me in brisket, I tend to find they all do it well
3. Pulled Pork - Wolfepack (just now ate so maybe recency bias)
4. Sauce - Gates
5. Sides - Jack Stack / Wyandot for fries specifically / Zarda for beans specifically. Last place Joes by a long shot.
6. Turkey (needs more love in KC BBQ talks) - Wolfepack
7. Burnt Ends (why is this not on your list) - Bryants / Slaps
I'm back and forth on Joe's fries but the rest of their sides are ass. Slaps has good sides as well. I agree that turkey is a sleeper. Does anyone ever order the smoked ham and is it just Gates that has it?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: November 25, 2023, 02:58:45 PM »
Johnnys has a ham brisket sandwich that’s very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: November 27, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed in multiple places and possibly multiple times in this thread, but let's discuss KC BBQ. Everyone can talk about which place is the best, and that's boring. I want to know who has the best:

1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Pulled Pork
4. Sauce
5. Sides

I'm not well experienced with KC BBQ, I've eaten at the famous places once or twice. In my experience, Arthur Bryant's has the best brisket and sauce (I realize it's a love or hate flavor) and Joe's KC has the best ribs. And Jack Stack and Q39 are pretty damn good at everything, but not great at anything.

I must admit I've been in somewhat of a rut BBQ wise as I don't go a lot so I go to what I know I like when I do go.

1. Ribs - Joes / Slaps
4. Sauce - Gates
5. Sides - Jack Stack / Wyandot for fries specifically / Zarda for beans specifically. Last place Joes by a long shot.

This is the first Wolfepack has been on my radar. Is their specialty mostly sandwich meat (for lack of better phrasing) or is there something else we should check out while we're there?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: November 27, 2023, 08:57:54 PM »

1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Pulled Pork
4. Sauce
5. Sides

1. Ribs - Joes / Slaps
4. Sauce - Gates

This is the first Wolfepack has been on my radar. Is their specialty mostly sandwich meat (for lack of better phrasing) or is there something else we should check out while we're there?
their brisket, burnt ends, sausage, and ribs are top notch, so is their chili, it’s only a special item.last time I was in, the owner brought out bacon burnt ends that he was messing around with in the kitchen.  they were really good, not sure if they are going to be a menu item or not.  their pulled pork is pretty much the same as everyone else’s.

sides:  cheese curds, mac and cheese, potato salad

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: November 28, 2023, 08:05:25 AM »

1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Pulled Pork
4. Sauce
5. Sides

1. Ribs - Joes / Slaps
4. Sauce - Gates

their brisket, burnt ends, sausage, and ribs are top notch, so is their chili, it’s only a special item.last time I was in, the owner brought out bacon burnt ends that he was messing around with in the kitchen.  they were really good, not sure if they are going to be a menu item or not.  their pulled pork is pretty much the same as everyone else’s.

sides:  cheese curds, mac and cheese, potato salad

They have really unique high quality specials. Had their lobster bisque and it was delicious.

I mean to me they aren't replacing hard core BBQ mainstays but they also just got out of a food truck and into a physical building so they are still getting their groove going.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: November 28, 2023, 11:16:09 AM »
Chef J's Brisket is my addition to Phil's list, which is pretty solid.  I haven't had anything else there but I have high hopes.  I haven't had Wolfepack (heard amazing things), Slaps, or Harp yet so I have my blind spots.

Offline sebytaba

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: November 28, 2023, 12:32:08 PM »
Oh no, that's a tough realization about smoked meats! It's a bummer when taste preferences change over time. On a brighter note, it seems like you've found a delicious alternative with the gas grill and a good rub.

Speaking of flavors, any suggestions for a tasty brunch near me? I'm in the mood for something new and delicious!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6360 on: November 28, 2023, 02:14:33 PM »
Oh no, that's a tough realization about smoked meats! It's a bummer when taste preferences change over time. On a brighter note, it seems like you've found a delicious alternative with the gas grill and a good rub.

Speaking of flavors, any suggestions for a tasty brunch near me? I'm in the mood for something new and delicious!

Who doesn't enjoy a good rub? Amirite? :fatty:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kc restaurant suggestions
« Reply #6361 on: November 28, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
Chef J's Brisket is my addition to Phil's list, which is pretty solid.  I haven't had anything else there but I have high hopes.  I haven't had Wolfepack (heard amazing things), Slaps, or Harp yet so I have my blind spots.
phil lost all credibility when he said that everyone does brisket well, which is about the worst opinion on bbq someone could have.

brisket is the hardest bbq meat to prepare and if you can’t discern the difference between Joe’s brisket and Chef J’s, or Harp, or Wolfepack, then you probably don’t know enough about bbq to be in this conversation.  i’m not wrong.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: November 28, 2023, 04:15:52 PM »
Yeah that was crazy. Just go try Bryant's brisket and then chef J brisket and lmk if you think they are even the same type of protein

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: November 28, 2023, 04:53:40 PM »
We need to have a #BBQpak
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: November 28, 2023, 05:09:58 PM »
Any place that sells shaved brisket as thin as deli meat is not really bbq. They’re smoking it to doneness and then slicing it thin to hide the toughness to save time + easy to reheat.

A LOT of kc places do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: November 28, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
phil lost all credibility when he said that everyone does brisket well, which is about the worst opinion on bbq someone could have.

brisket is the hardest bbq meat to prepare and if you can’t discern the difference between Joe’s brisket and Chef J’s, or Harp, or Wolfepack, then you probably don’t know enough about bbq to be in this conversation.  i’m not wrong.

You are right, I should have just went silent on that one, I don't get brisket hardly ever. I've never gotten it from any of those 4 you just popped off so I don't even know which you are saying is good.

BTW you adding your overall tiers didn't answer the question. Answer the man 'clams!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: November 29, 2023, 12:27:08 PM »
i don't like the trend of ordering brisket on a 2 or 3 meat combo tray, and they bring you out one slice of brisket.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: November 29, 2023, 06:13:10 PM »

You are right, I should have just went silent on that one, I don't get brisket hardly ever. I've never gotten it from any of those 4 you just popped off so I don't even know which you are saying is good.

BTW you adding your overall tiers didn't answer the question. Answer the man 'clams!
I feel like I kind of answered but…
if he goes to any of my god tier places, which to me are all very interchangeable, he’s going to have the best ribs, brisket, and pulled pork that kc has to offer.

sauce?  gates, but I don’t use sauce on my god tier bbq and wouldn’t eat gates without sauce.  how nuts is that! the sauce at slaps is the worst sauce i’ve ever tried.

sides? for me, it’s jackstack.  their beans, cheesy corn, potato salad, fries, it’s all good.  their fries dipped in beans has made many a meal for me.  slaps is my 2nd place pick for sides, followed by everyone else.  tbh, i’m not going anywhere for side dishes.  i’d rather gorge myself on delicious bbq until the meat sweats take over.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: November 29, 2023, 06:14:46 PM »
i don't like the trend of ordering brisket on a 2 or 3 meat combo tray, and they bring you out one slice of brisket.
the way to do it is to get their larger platters that serve 2-3 and come with all of the important crap then eat it over a couple meals.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: November 29, 2023, 06:55:20 PM »
What's better, Antler Room or Farina? Sound off in the comments.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: November 29, 2023, 11:25:48 PM »
Haven't had either but some people I trust wouldn't even put Farina in the same conversation as Antler Room and they're friends with Michael Smith.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: December 04, 2023, 02:27:00 PM »
Went to Bacaro Primo for the anniversary. It was excellent. Maybe the best charcuterie board i've ever had -- though I don't usually like charcuterie. 

I had the lobster spaghetti.
have you been to earl’s   (?)
no

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: December 04, 2023, 03:17:35 PM »
Had Third Street Social again last week and I really enjoy that place. I've literally never sat foot outside the bar area and have ordered nothing but appetizers and happy hour items, but everything i've had has been great the 3 times i've been there. Pretty great happy hour spot.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: December 04, 2023, 03:29:20 PM »
Haven't had either but some people I trust wouldn't even put Farina in the same conversation as Antler Room and they're friends with Michael Smith.

I enjoyed Farina, but it is pricey, more of a date night place to be.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: December 05, 2023, 09:22:37 AM »
Need to get back to Antler Room. I went when it first opened and didn't really like it but I know enough people who I trust love it.