Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323415 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3400 on: February 04, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »
Wut that?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: February 04, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Anybody doing orange theory? Did my first trial class Friday and loved it.

my sister in law does it at the one at like 135th and metcalf or around there. all of them text each other after class if one of the people didn't do good or whatever. or if one skips. they like gossip about that person until the next sessions when the next victim is chosen. she's terrified to ever miss a session or not do good at whatever it is they track. seems to be a good motivator.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: February 04, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
Hour long HIIT workout studios.

https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: February 04, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »
Anybody doing orange theory? Did my first trial class Friday and loved it.

my sister in law does it at the one at like 135th and metcalf or around there. all of them text each other after class if one of the people didn't do good or whatever. or if one skips. they like gossip about that person until the next sessions when the next victim is chosen. she's terrified to ever miss a session or not do good at whatever it is they track. seems to be a good motivator.

It does seem to make you into a cult follower based on people I know who do it regularly.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3404 on: February 04, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
To be fair, you don't see too many fat cultists (no KSU Kirsty jokes plz).

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: February 05, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
Question for resident swole cats; I’ve been pretty disciplined the last 4 months on a progressive push/pull/legs routine, but am now starting to plateau on certain core exercises. My question is what is the best way to progress going forward.

Example:

Push day:
Still progressing on bench press, but overhead press and incline bench press have stalled.
Typical exercise order is bench, OHP, incline bench

Today the bench was not open and I didn’t want to wait so I did incline first and finished a weight I’d failed at for at least 3 workouts. I also failed at bench press, but believe I would have completed it had I done bench first.

Best to stick with the intended exercise order or switch up the sequence of exercises to increase more weight in all three?

time to change it up https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Def. tapped out my linear (novice) progression for bench and pressing exercises. Still have a bit of novice progression to go for squat and dl. Was gonna either do 5/3/1 or something similar, then ran across the Texas Method and figured that would work best for me.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 09, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
Does anyone have the Apple Watch 4, and if so, has it helped in your fitness goals?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
Does anyone have the Apple Watch 4, and if so, has it helped in your fitness goals?

It didn't work well with Map My Fitness/Run which was my go-to running tracker.  Also, didn't let me use Spotify without my phone.  That made it fairly worthless to me and I abandoned it to my wife.  If you are willing to use all the Apple apps, it might have more value to you.  I think it helps her remember to walk around at the office every once and a while but is hardly used for fitness.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »

It didn't work well with Map My Fitness/Run which was my go-to running tracker.  Also, didn't let me use Spotify without my phone.  That made it fairly worthless to me and I abandoned it to my wife.  If you are willing to use all the Apple apps, it might have more value to you.  I think it helps her remember to walk around at the office every once and a while but is hardly used for fitness.

:thumbs:

I already pair my headphones to my phone, which is always with me. So I don’t think that’s a deal breaker for me. I also don’t do much running anymore because of my knees. I also don’t want to use a bunch of apps. So probably won’t get one, thanks for the tips.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
Anyone work out at the Healthridge Genesis in Olathe? Random question.

Also, any update on Orange Theory? What's the average male/female ratio there? Just curious

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »

Also, any update on Orange Theory? What's the average male/female ratio there? Just curious

I can only comment on my previously mentioned sis in law's group but it's like 7-1 dudette to dude ratio  :fatty:

Offline spacedog

• Fan
  • meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »

I go to that Genesis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: February 26, 2019, 01:22:54 PM »

I go to that Genesis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently moved back to KC and didn't realize how nice that place had got. Like, geez luise. I used to use it just for the indoor basketball thingy, but now it has all kinds of stuff.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 26, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
Besides the sort of creepy blonde hair ex-surfer guy trying to get me to sign a 30 year contract, the place seemed great.

Offline spacedog

• Fan
  • meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 26, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »
I’ve been to quite a few Genesis Health Club locations. I will post my reviews this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 26, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
Looking forward to that spacedog

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 26, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
Anyone have a home gym?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

OT update - Last week was the first week open.  Went 3 times, been twice so far this week with two more scheduled.  It's seems to be a great workout but I've never been much of an organized workout guy.  Days are always a bit different at least the weight floor portion. Usually 20-30 minutes on the treads, 30-40 between rowers and floor which is dumbells/TRX straps/etc.

Most seshes have been 5:1 female/male.  Doesn't bug me too much being the rando dude (usually older than average age too)

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 26, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »

OT update - Last week was the first week open.  Went 3 times, been twice so far this week with two more scheduled.  It's seems to be a great workout but I've never been much of an organized workout guy.  Days are always a bit different at least the weight floor portion. Usually 20-30 minutes on the treads, 30-40 between rowers and floor which is dumbells/TRX straps/etc.

Most seshes have been 5:1 female/male.  Doesn't bug me too much being the rando dude (usually older than average age too)

Sounds very cool. I will check it out. The whole sesh sounds a bit long to me but I'll have to give it a try.

One of the things these type of workouts miss is most men should still try to lift heavy while they still can. It up-regulates good hormones, and repetitive motions like marathons and high rep low weight workouts can actually raise cortisol... (I've ran marathons, this is not me being doucey) I'm sure it's great and will definitely check it out.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 26, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »
Hey Benja, welcome back!

My question about lifting heavy.  I did that for years, and now I have a multiple bulging discs in my lower back.  I walk like Quasimodo the first 30 minutes of every day.  How should I lift heavy again so that I get the obvious benefits that you are saying here????

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: February 26, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Hey Benja, welcome back!

My question about lifting heavy.  I did that for years, and now I have a multiple bulging discs in my lower back.  I walk like Quasimodo the first 30 minutes of every day.  How should I lift heavy again so that I get the obvious benefits that you are saying here????

Hey thanks DC Cat!

So that's why I said "while you still can". I just got into my 30's and I've already had a couple major issues, including a bulging disc that culminated while trying to impress a girl in a crossfit gym several years back.

I have no issues now, but I do certain things like never go above a certain weight on lifts like squat and deadlift. Instead, I'll go for higher reps or the most I can do in a minute, whatever.

I don't lift a lot of weight, relatively. I'm built like a basketball player which is what I played most of my life, but for my weight I do pretty well. But I've noticed anytime I just do nothing but jogging or stuff like that for too long, I just feel weird. But you need to know your limits and don't exceed that.

Also, if you have a bulging disc, try hanging off a bar in the morning. Or any decompression. Feels amazing.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: February 26, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
Hey Benja, welcome back!

Hey thanks DC Cat!

So that's why I said "while you still can". I just got into my 30's and I've already had a couple major issues, including a bulging disc that culminated while trying to impress a girl in a crossfit gym several years back.

I have no issues now, but I do certain things like never go above a certain weight on lifts like squat and deadlift. Instead, I'll go for higher reps or the most I can do in a minute, whatever.

I don't lift a lot of weight, relatively. I'm built like a basketball player which is what I played most of my life, but for my weight I do pretty well. But I've noticed anytime I just do nothing but jogging or stuff like that for too long, I just feel weird. But you need to know your limits and don't exceed that.

Also, if you have a bulging disc, try hanging off a bar in the morning. Or any decompression. Feels amazing.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm built like a TE and have always lifted heavy, but did a lot of reps, if that makes sense.  Because of my bad knees I never did a lot of cardio outside of sports.  I find it really boring and after a few times in a row I quit.  What should my mindfocus be on for cardio?  During the summers I am outside all the time and active, but during the absolutely terrible months of winter, what could I do?

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #3422 on: February 27, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
I've been using this book for the past 4 months and have been pleased with everything. Good weight lifting and cardio regimens.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=90736871253277491102

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: February 27, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
Hey Benja, welcome back!

Hey thanks DC Cat!

Thanks for the reply.  I'm built like a TE and have always lifted heavy, but did a lot of reps, if that makes sense.  Because of my bad knees I never did a lot of cardio outside of sports.  I find it really boring and after a few times in a row I quit.  What should my mindfocus be on for cardio?  During the summers I am outside all the time and active, but during the absolutely terrible months of winter, what could I do?

I have a thing I bought for my bike that turns it into a stationary bike. I've been using that all winter while watching netflix or whatever. I'll take a picture of it sometime.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: February 27, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »
@Cat from DC

Shoot baskets
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.