Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135608 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #1250 on: July 26, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
no concerns
i don't know a lot about fences but i don't think i've seen a wooden fence with metal supports/poles
why wood deck posts and metal fabricated deck?  termites in texas or something?
the pool, can't figure it out either.  is it  big baby pool or do they make them that size for people?  chemicals? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 26, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »
Is the pool permanent? How long do you expect it to last?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 26, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »
no concerns
i don't know a lot about fences but i don't think i've seen a wooden fence with metal supports/poles
why wood deck posts and metal fabricated deck?  termites in texas or something?
the pool, can't figure it out either.  is it  big baby pool or do they make them that size for people?  chemicals?

1.  I really do not know how to respond to never seeing metal fence posts. 

2.  My buddy built the deck frame.  I did not want to tackle building a perfectly round interior and exterior line with wood.  So much easier to just bend metal if you know someone that can do it.  Conversely, so much easier to cut wood to the desired deck height once holes were dug than it would be to cut metal legs that would support that.  No metal tools at my house.

3.  It is a stock tank, like you would find at a farm & ranch supply.  I purposes it into a pool as it is the perfect size to sit in, water up to shoulders while relaxing.  I am about $2500 into this as opposed to $35000 for an in-ground pool to be put in that I have quoted.  This is a stop-gap until that day in the future.

4.  Yes it has chemicals, balanced just like any other pool.  Complete with a pump, filter & chlorine dispenser.

I work outside all day long on pools.  This is my way of cooling off from the 100 degree days when I get home.  It is used pretty much daily from May 1 - Oct 1 and is one of the best things I have ever done to improve my quality of life when the relentless Texas heat tries to suck the life out of you.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 26, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
Is the pool permanent? How long do you expect it to last?

I has been here for 3.5 years without issue.  They are designed to set in pastures for many years on end until a tornado takes then away or a bull gets pissed.  Should easily last me another 10 years if I do not have my in-ground pool by then.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 26, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
Even if it does not last 10 years, it is an easy fix and only $400.  I drain it, cut 2 pipes, lift it out, attach my fittings to a new tank, drop it back in, glue 2 pipes together with a coupler, and fill it back up.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 26, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
You can google stock tank pools and come up with thousands of images.  The vast majority are galvanized.  The benefit of galvanized is the water is cooler, the downside is that means the soaking season is shorter. 

With the poly, the water warms up quicker which means that you have a longer soaking season.  Conversely though, it gets really warm in the dog days if not shaded.  Works out perfectly for me though as my wife loves warm water and although I prefer cooler water, wet water is my favorite so this works.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 26, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »
Sounds / looks great AST
:adios:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 26, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »
ast, you probably know this better than me and i don't know how much you hate moving, but my understanding of pool economics is that an underground pool may be 35k to install, but they basically come free with the house if you buy a house where someone already put one in the backyard.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 26, 2020, 12:15:37 PM »
ast, you probably know this better than me and i don't know how much you hate moving, but my understanding of pool economics is that an underground pool may be 35k to install, but they basically come free with the house if you buy a house where someone already put one in the backyard.

I absolutely loathe moving.  And you are correct.  Fortunately we have room to absorb a pool in our equity.  We bought a one owner all original 1960 house from an estate during the absolute valley of the real estate crash.  So even with bringing the house completely up to date and adding a pool, we would turn a profit.

We love our house and neighborhood and if we were ever to move, it would be out of Dallas.  So yes, my $35k pool would be an extravagance but we considered it when we bought this house at the price we did. 

And as a pool industry professional, I would not only not be satisfied with a pool I did not design myself but also my $35k pool would be closer to a $60k build if someone hat it put in.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 26, 2020, 12:29:12 PM »
makes sense.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 26, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »
It's not easy to find a house that you like in the first place. Adding a pool requirement really narrows down the selection. If you're in a house you like, I think I makes more sense to add a pool.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 26, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
But, yeah, nothing is better than a pool for keeping cool.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 26, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
Air conditioning works fine for me
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
Air conditioning works fine for me

That worked fine for me too when I had an office job.  Now that I work outside, nope.  Getting home covered in sweat and mosquito spray and god knows what else and still sweating.  Jump in shower and cone out still sweating.  Nope.  Get home from work, immediately cool of in pool.  Go inside to ac.  Shower.  Come out clean and no longer sweating.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 28, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
can't remember if I've brought this up here or not but if your local HD is on this list and Menards is running the 11% rebate you can enter your receipt # and they will send you an 11% giftcard. https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home Done it multiple times and it does actually work.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 28, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
Got shutters in from blinds.com that I ordered for the nursery and den.  Super easy install, about 10 minutes each once out of the packaging, and very cost effective.  10/10 will buy again.  Just need to run a bead of caulk to finish it up.

Yes, I am aware I have a cord situation.  One thing at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:10:32 PM by AST »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 28, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Those look very good dude  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 28, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »
Taking 8mans suggestion and going with inline vs submerged.  Built a 2x10 box to replicate a well top.  Now I will have one line out of barrel bottom into box to pump then from pump up hand pump and out the spout.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1268 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
Might want some air vents across the box to let that pump cool. Otherwise, it's running in a dead space.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 29, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »
Might want some air vents across the box to let that pump cool. Otherwise, it's running in a dead space.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Noted.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 23, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
Spent the last couple of weekend morning trying to finish up my redneck pool project.

I tried to save some time by running the corrugated metal skirt horizontal in stead of vertical.  Hate it.  Will remove it and make all the cuts for vertical, will be a lot cleaner.

Still have a couple more tricks to finish it off but almost there.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 23, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
you are good at tons of crap. it's infuriating.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 23, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
That pool deck is awesome

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 23, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
that does look neat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 23, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
you are good at tons of crap. it's infuriating.

Well thank you.  I have had a ton of different jobs and just learn a little bit here and there.  That and research and many projects start to pay off.