Author Topic: Obama sez No to Keystone  (Read 39632 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Obama sez No to Keystone
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
A spill seems to be a stupid argument given the safety procedures, remote valves, leak detection, and construction of the pipe in general. It seems to be much safer than train, truck or ship. How long would oil need to sit on the surface untouched to leach at least 50' down through the soil?  Liberal fear mongering.

Yeah, that BP oil spill was just a mythical fabrication made up by the left.   Pffffftttttt....

:facepalm:  

You do realize that some oil would leach into the water supply just by being in contact with the surface, right? It's not a matter of "how long oil is on the surface". It's a sandy soil. It's capable of soaking up oil at a pretty fast rate. The 50' depth to water is completely irrelevant. Once the oil is below the surface, it will make its way to the aquifer.

You remove the contaminated soil within a few days.  They already do this, not rocket science. Also, the aquifer is much deeper in most areas, like hundreds of feet.  I used 50 ft because that was the shallowest point.  A train wreck is likely to spill more oil than a pipeline leak.

Water infiltrates into sand at a rate of about 8 m/day. I'm sure oil would have a slower rate, but I don't think it would take much more than a few hours to get to a depth where removing the topsoil wouldn't do much good.

*Edit: Sorry, it's actually 0.8 m/day, but that's still way too fast to clean up a spill a few days later.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:58:30 PM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »

IMO, we should close all highways that cross the aquifer.  There's a really good chance of a car , or GASP a fuel truck, accident and gas seeping into the water supply.  Also, no flights over the aquifer as planes carry thousands of gallons of jet fuel and could crash, re-route please.  No sewers, waste treatment plants, or public gas lines for the same reasons.  JFC, sewers leak sewage all over the place, makes the water taste like crap.

Let's bring all commerce to a screeching halt, because something COULD happen, and EVEN IF IT DID the effect would be potable water by the EPA's own standards. It's not like the treatment plants (that would have to be moved) couldn't filter it out.  And let's not pretend that trace amounts of petrol on crops is going to kill them.  Afterall, what is petrol actually made of?

This mongoloid administration did the same thing with fractional drilling in Wyoming.  There was a slight correlation that some of the solvents used in fracking were leaching into the water table based on trace findings of a plastic that's used in a million things.  Although the traces of the contaminant found were well below EPA standards the project was shut down for "further analysis".

It's a joke people, wake the eff up.  Stop defending the indefensible. 
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
OMG, sound the alarm... President Obama is trying to reroute a pipeline project so that rural Nebraskans don't have to fear having their drinking water contaminated by an oil spill.  Meanwhile, domestic oil production in the U.S. is up ~25% since Obama has been in office, and our reliance on foreign oil imports is down from its peak of 60% under the Bush administration to 49%.  Oh, the horror!

:flush:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »
OMG, sound the alarm... President Obama is trying to reroute a pipeline project so that rural Nebraskans don't have to fear having their drinking water contaminated by an oil spill.  Meanwhile, domestic oil production in the U.S. is up ~25% since Obama has been in office, and our reliance on foreign oil imports is down from its peak of 60% under the Bush administration to 49%.  Oh, the horror!

The oil discoveries and technological breakthroughs in horizontal drilling have nothing to do with Obama or Bush or any other politician (unless you're one of those crazies that blames Bush for $100+ oil, then you can credit Bush).  That's like giving Bill Clinton credit for the internet IPO frenzy, or giving Bush credit for the housing boom.  Domestic oil production would be even higher, but for Obama's oppressive and helter skelter administration.  Oil imports have been in steady decline since 2006 as a result of the hard work and innovation of the oil exploration industry, god bless them and their penance for creating high paying domestic jobs.

Keep your ignorant "correlation without causation" libtard talking points to yourself and your like-minded friends, and off this board.  k thx

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »

for BMWhjawk

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
LOL.  Seek therapy. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

Well it took them longer than usual (a little over a week) but the left is finally getting it's propoganda and outright lies in order regarding the pipeline.  An oil pipeline that necessarily takes thousands of people to build and necessarily lowers the cost of transporting oil reducing it's cost at delivery actually reduces the number of jobs and makes the cost of oil go up.  Intuition and common sense aside, this is still a ridiculous thing to say.

Unbelieveable.  I just can't wait for Gitmo to close so the terrorists will finally stop terrorizing.  Then, when we finally get taxes on the rich up to "their fair share" everyone that isn't rich finally can be rich.  Finally, when we give everyone free healthcare who is too poor or sick to afford it, the cost we finally come down to reasonable levels.  Welcome to the world Tom the Dancing Bug so ironically lives in.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/117832183.html

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »

Crediting/blaming any President for pretty much anything is really dumb

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
So, will this pipeline make oil more expensive or not?  I think you can handle the spill issue by making Keystone post a bond or be liable for any damages caused by a spill.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
So, will this pipeline make oil more expensive or not?  I think you can handle the spill issue by making Keystone post a bond or be liable for any damages caused by a spill.

I'm not sure anybody really has a firm grasp on that. It should lower the global price of oil, but at the same time we currently are purchasing oil from Canada well below the market rate because they don't have the ability to export it. It seems pretty likely that this pipeline could actually increase what we pay for oil in America, especially in the Midwest. It would create thousands of temporary jobs, though. That might be worth paying an extra 10 cents per gallon at the pump. I just don't see the benefit as being so great that we have to push this pipeline through ASAP when it could be easily rerouted to the east.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
I don't think anyone would care about it getting rerouted/delayed/whatever if Obama's name wasn't connected.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »

I'm not sure anybody really has a firm grasp on that. It should lower the global price of oil, but at the same time we currently are purchasing oil from Canada well below the market rate because they don't have the ability to export it. It seems pretty likely that this pipeline could actually increase what we pay for oil in America, especially in the Midwest. It would create thousands of temporary jobs, though. That might be worth paying an extra 10 cents per gallon at the pump. I just don't see the benefit as being so great that we have to push this pipeline through ASAP when it could be easily rerouted to the east.

Then eff that.  We need preferred rates.  A bunch of temporary jobs so some loser laborers can buy new Camaros/bass boats and screw everyone else with higher prices as a tube full of oil cuts through our country is not a good deal for us.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

No it's not.  The executive branch has a lot of power. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
They just need to have bob krause offer to take out a life insurance policy to get this thing crackin.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »

No it's not.  The executive branch has a lot of power. 

I guess you are right. Look at all of those wars Bush started all by himself.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

cheaper for everyone

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
I don't think anyone would care about it getting rerouted/delayed/whatever if Obama's name wasn't connected.

The only reason it got "whatevered" was because of Obama, so this is a really dumb argument.  It's also incredibly naive and ignorant

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

If Obama's name wasn't attached to it, construction would have started already.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
[three "guys" sitting at a table at Bourgeoisie Pig]

Guy 2:  "hey fellers, I don't think they should give black players player of the year in college ball"
BMWJhawk:  "LOL seek therapy, I agree"
Guy 3: "I think Obama is a mommy"
BMWJhawk:  "LOL seek therapy, I agree"  "It really irks me that my lord and savior Obama is such a shill for the oil industry.  Did you know our oil production is through the roof, all because of him."
Guy 2:  "Yes, that's absolutely true, I agree"
Guy 3:  "Absolutely, I agree"
BMWJhawk:  tweets: [I just remembered I left the toaster on #kufball] "crap!, gotta go"

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »

Guy 2:  "hey fellers, I don't think they should give black players player of the year in college ball"
BMWJhawk:  "LOL seek therapy, I agree"  "It really irks me that my lord and savior Obama is such a shill for the oil industry.  Did you know our oil production is through the roof, all because of him."
BMWJhawk:  tweets: [I just remembered I left the toaster on #kufball] "crap!, gotta go"

:confused:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »

If Obama's name wasn't attached to it, construction would have started already.

If the federal government had no involvement in the energy sector, i.e. no DOE, construction would have been blocked when Nebraska voted to not allow the pipeline.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

what on earth

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »

cheaper for everyone

Ok.  So the reports that it will actually raise some prices in the midwest are false?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

cheaper for everyone

Ok.  So the reports that it will actually raise some prices in the midwest are false?

No. The reason they're building a $7 billion pipeline across nearly 2/3rds of the continent is to have it refined for export in Texas. If the goal was to sell this oil only in the U.S. they would build a pipeline to refineries in the Midwest, which would be much cheaper to do.