Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 109165 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1475 on: July 31, 2023, 09:56:28 AM »
I’ve owned two houses brand new and I’ll build another one someday but there is fuckin no chance I’m buying someone’s 200 year old sloppy seconds for myself and my family to live in. Grossout city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My current house is like 98 years old.  There's a lot of annoying things about living in a house that old.  But there's some neat things about it too.

list the neat things

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 31, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
floors make creaking sounds when you walk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 31, 2023, 12:08:24 PM »
In before he says character, charm, history
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 31, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
I’ve owned two houses brand new and I’ll build another one someday but there is fuckin no chance I’m buying someone’s 200 year old sloppy seconds for myself and my family to live in. Grossout city.

My current house is like 98 years old.  There's a lot of annoying things about living in a house that old.  But there's some neat things about it too.

list the neat things
Our walk-in closet used to be an outside "sleeping porch" because back then they didn't have AC.  There's an old coal schute in the basement.  I think that stuff is neat.   It's neat seeing photos of our house from the 1940 county land survey ("Oh look at their landscaping!").   A few weeks ago, one of the old homeowners who grew up in that house sent me a bunch of pics of her and her friends playing in our backyard in the 70s. A lot of our stuff is original and the craftsman details from that era are cool.  There's just some stories (almost none of which I know) associated with parts of the house that don't exist for new-builds.  You can think those stories are neat or not, but I think they're kind of neat.

I do also think it's cool that it has a little bit of a lineage.  There have been 5 or 6 families occupying the house in the last century.  Taking in WWII there.  The Cuban Missile Crisis.  The '85 world series.  All these different families with different stories.  Just fun thinking about all the different crap that house has seen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 12:15:39 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 31, 2023, 12:16:36 PM »
I grew up in a house built in 1901 AMA.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 31, 2023, 12:28:41 PM »
I grew up in a house built in 1901 AMA.

What's it like to be that old?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 31, 2023, 12:29:20 PM »
I once lived in a house built in 1862 in Lawrence. I had excruciating pain followed by half of my face becoming numb for a month due to mold in the iron ducts. It was a very charming experience, as I chugged scotch to numb the pain (just like the old settlers!) and thought wistfully about what the original owners must have experienced during Quantrill's raid.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1482 on: July 31, 2023, 12:40:09 PM »

list the neat things
Our walk-in closet used to be an outside "sleeping porch" because back then they didn't have AC.  There's an old coal schute in the basement.  I think that stuff is neat.   It's neat seeing photos of our house from the 1940 county land survey ("Oh look at their landscaping!").   A few weeks ago, one of the old homeowners who grew up in that house sent me a bunch of pics of her and her friends playing in our backyard in the 70s. A lot of our stuff is original and the craftsman details from that era are cool.  There's just some stories (almost none of which I know) associated with parts of the house that don't exist for new-builds.  You can think those stories are neat or not, but I think they're kind of neat.

I do also think it's cool that it has a little bit of a lineage.  There have been 5 or 6 families occupying the house in the last century.  Taking in WWII there.  The Cuban Missile Crisis.  The '85 world series.  All these different families with different stories.  Just fun thinking about all the different crap that house has seen.
Ok, well, to each their own I guess.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 31, 2023, 01:18:12 PM »
Remodeled upstairs bathroom in our house in town 1920s build.. Bathroom vanity mirror had a slit that went down into the plaster and lathe that was filled with old shaving razors. also in the floor I found an old Manhattan Tribune paper that was used at one point and it had the announcement for Lud Fiser being hired..

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 31, 2023, 01:28:57 PM »
In before he says character, charm, history

Nailed it

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: July 31, 2023, 01:32:52 PM »
Our walk-in closet used to be an outside "sleeping porch" because back then they didn't have AC.

this sounds problematic for you

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 31, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »
Remodeled upstairs bathroom in our house in town 1920s build.. Bathroom vanity mirror had a slit that went down into the plaster and lathe that was filled with old shaving razors. also in the floor I found an old Manhattan Tribune paper that was used at one point and it had the announcement for Lud Fiser being hired..

Incredibly common for 1920s houses, but also crazy to think that was the "thing" to do like, sure it take a long ass time to fill that up with razors but your general solution to "I'm done with this razor blade" is to toss it into the void between ways to be there for all time just seems silly.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 31, 2023, 01:58:49 PM »

Incredibly common for 1920s houses, but also crazy to think that was the "thing" to do like, sure it take a long ass time to fill that up with razors but your general solution to "I'm done with this razor blade" is to toss it into the void between ways to be there for all time just seems silly.
Multiple grocery bags full of them.. was honestly impressive. between the plaster and lathe I took out of there and the razor blades I bet the house lost 2000lbs of weight

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 31, 2023, 02:25:10 PM »
wow, these old ass houses are really starting to get me hot for them in a horny way. what with the thousands of old razor blades and random freaks sending me mail because they used to live there.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 31, 2023, 02:35:15 PM »
Houses are like cars, they just don't build them like they used to(really shitty)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 31, 2023, 02:41:11 PM »
i don't know why you guys are being jerks about old houses.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 31, 2023, 02:48:01 PM »
Smug exurban hubris
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 31, 2023, 02:58:04 PM »
The newer the house the less I enjoy the vibe. Houses from the 70's+ can get mumped. The teens and twenties are peak vibe.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 31, 2023, 03:01:28 PM »
Also modern homes are way too rough ridin' big. Enjoy your neighborhood of mcmansions sd, you might as well be living in Plano or something.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 31, 2023, 03:04:01 PM »
I live in an old warehouse that used to be a Southwestern Bell switching station, you ignorant fucks. Get on my level.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 31, 2023, 03:27:27 PM »
Who was the marketing genius that thought to call vinyl planking "luxury". Think 90% of new builds have LVP or LVT.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 31, 2023, 04:38:42 PM »
Also modern homes are way too rough ridin' big. Enjoy your neighborhood of mcmansions sd, you might as well be living in Plano or something.

agree with this. I like new houses that aren't giant and sort of look like old houses but don't have all the gross stuff.

Disclaimer, i live in an older house but have remodeled every room in it since purchase so I guess its just old on the outside?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 31, 2023, 04:53:08 PM »
Yeah dlew, why don't you want to live in a treeless, soulless, beige and tan 'burb that will suck all joy and creativity from your heart?

I love old houses. Of course I am a former history teacher so I have a lot of interest in the past. We lived in a house for 2 years that was built in 1890 and I loved it. We heated it primarily using a pot bellied stove and it was great. Our current house was built in 1954 and I recently found an old photo of it right after it was built with old 40's cars lining the street. I thought it was pretty neat.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 31, 2023, 04:56:49 PM »
Ya, being in an established neighborhood (i.e. sidewalks, trees, etc.) is a plus in the older house column.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 31, 2023, 05:04:08 PM »

The home that started this whole convo is 3500 sf feet..