Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110961 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1150 on: March 29, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
Switched out the breaker without killing myself but the new one is tripping too.  :angry:

Worth a try and great job!
Yes, also I’m glad you’re still here dlew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that dlew isn’t dead makes me suspect he mumped up switching it out and it’s probably still that breaker

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 29, 2022, 09:12:34 PM »
Switched out the breaker without killing myself but the new one is tripping too.  :angry:
Did you up the amps on the new breaker?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 29, 2022, 09:14:09 PM »
I won’t give you the full story on this, but she (realtor) was invested into a great family business before crap got rocky a few years ago and she left & went on her own (to prove a point. Bad mistake). I feel like I’m managing a lot here. I want a forever home for my office, a good school district without leaving the city (Wife wants weird places now for the kid, like Desoto & over paying for BV). She went to a Catholic school & if we aren’t paying for private, she needs a good school district. Meanwhile, I try and preach to her the outlier she married (Eudora grad & 5 years at K-State on a communications degree & an MBA @ Phoenix) & how much we could save avoiding that nonsense & she doesn’t believe it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:18:47 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 29, 2022, 09:32:44 PM »
The BV houses are nuts right now, the good houses in my neighborhood are all going to bids because the new houses far south on Mission are all 800k and up.  You have time and there was a dip in 2008 (right after I bought :bang:) and there will be one again so my advice is be ready when it happens.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2022, 09:48:18 PM »
Custom building a house now. Worst time to do it or worstest? Inflation/supply chain issues/sling shotting interest rates/looming recession .. oy vey.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: March 29, 2022, 10:06:15 PM »

No, the YouTube guy I watched was pretty emphatic about getting the exact same kind of breaker and amps. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 29, 2022, 10:12:36 PM »

No, the YouTube guy I watched was pretty emphatic about getting the exact same kind of breaker and amps.
Meh…

No choice but to call an electrician now.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 29, 2022, 10:20:54 PM »
Dlew I’m glad you attempted big dog. Fanning don’t let a salesgirl/bestie influence the rest of your life/money situation.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 29, 2022, 10:30:25 PM »
I won’t give you the full story on this, but she (realtor) was invested into a great family business before crap got rocky a few years ago and she left & went on her own (to prove a point. Bad mistake). I feel like I’m managing a lot here. I want a forever home for my office, a good school district without leaving the city (Wife wants weird places now for the kid, like Desoto & over paying for BV). She went to a Catholic school & if we aren’t paying for private, she needs a good school district. Meanwhile, I try and preach to her the outlier she married (Eudora grad & 5 years at K-State on a communications degree & an MBA @ Phoenix) & how much we could save avoiding that nonsense & she doesn’t believe it.
How old is lil kick ball? Like 2-3? You have another couple of years before you have to worry about schools.

With interest rates going up home prices will come down/stop going up (which is a double edge sword since you already own a home). Worst case scenario you never move and Lil kick ball goes to Shawnee Mission South.

Oh the horror

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 29, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
2 and a half. I’m keeping steady, but she just got a raise today too. That’s 36% in raises with fam since December! I want to payoff all of our loans in 2 years and help mom’s continual treatment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 10:46:34 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 30, 2022, 09:52:04 AM »

Do you have a GFCI outlet on the circuit?
@mikec2w

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 30, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »

Yeah, that is correct, don't ever do that.

Does it trip like right away, or does it take "time" ie it holds and then trips later.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 30, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »

I mean that's how fires happen but ok
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 30, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »
DLEW HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THIS IS STRESSING ME OUT

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 30, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »

Do you have a GFCI outlet on the circuit?
no.  i also unplugged everything i could in the garage (i.e. weed wacker charger)...the only things that are eating power in there (when the breaker isn't tripped) are the garage doors (and garage door lights) and two light bulbs (which i turned off).

stumped me.  one other clue is that one of the outlets looks pretty messed up.  i don't really know anything about it, as that must have preexisted our purchase of the home (~2 years ago).  based on my extreme electrical knowledge after reading about this sort of thing on the internet for maybe 15 minutes, i suspect the culprits are either (1) grounded (?) wire; (2) short wire; (3) scuffed up outlet (which may also be options (1) or (2)).

i'll keep everyone updated on this developing story after i speak with the electrician man tomorrow morning.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 30, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »

Yeah, that is correct, don't ever do that.

Does it trip like right away, or does it take "time" ie it holds and then trips later.

So the garage breaker intermittently tripped (like maybe once every two months) for a while, but over the last month, it started tripping progressively more often (weeks --> days --> minutes).  Over the last week, it started tripping minutes after i flipped it, and eventually, after i messed around with it for a while, it would flip immediately.  After I replaced it, and as things are currently ;) ), it trips after a few minutes.

After I replaced it lastnight and it stayed good initially, i was ecstatic.  When I tested it again a few hours later and learned that it tripped again...I don't know if i've ever been more disappointed about anything in my whole entire stupid life.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 30, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
Keep trying until you are dead

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 30, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »
changing out outlets is super pud fyi.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 30, 2022, 03:01:51 PM »
There is a house near me that has been abandoned for year and we all assume is a total mess inside. A for sale sign just went up for over 600k and i'm certain they will prob get it.  :frown:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 30, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »
changing out outlets is super pud fyi.

Yep, if I can pull that off without dying or burning the house down anyone can.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: March 30, 2022, 03:09:29 PM »
idk fellas, this outlet looks pretty rank and i'm a little afraid to even look at it. 

fwiw i've changed out outlets before who do you think you're talking to?  but the outlets i changed out were tame and docile.  scary garage outlet is a whole other can of worms (worms may be living in it)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 30, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »
I had a breaker that would trip and I traced it down to an outside outlet that was on that circuit.  The outlet was getting moisture into it and would ground out and trip the breaker.  I replaced the outlet and the housing (waterproof cover) on the side of the house and haven't had a lick of trouble since.  While I was at it, I replaced all of the other external outlets and housings.
@mikec2w

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 30, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »
idk fellas, this outlet looks pretty rank and i'm a little afraid to even look at it. 

fwiw i've changed out outlets before who do you think you're talking to?  but the outlets i changed out were tame and docile.  scary garage outlet is a whole other can of worms (worms may be living in it)

Can we get a pic of this rank outlet? If you have a voltmeter, it shouldn't be dangerous.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 30, 2022, 03:54:46 PM »
Or turn the power off to the garage and use a flashlight. badabing badaboom

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 30, 2022, 04:22:57 PM »

Can we get a pic of this rank outlet? If you have a voltmeter, it shouldn't be dangerous.

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles