Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110967 times)

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #550 on: August 05, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I spent my Sunday afternoon building an entertainment center from a box.  I bought it at some Nebraska Furniture Mart knock-off for like five hundo.  Every damn time I go to put one of those beasts together the little wrench they give you sucks beyond all sucking.  None of my drill bits fit the bolts so had to hand crank each screw.  My hand was freaking raw after 4 hours of screwing (insert masturbation quip here).  Had a real sweet swell going, but didn't catch any action from the gf.  Advice: buy an entertainment center that is already built.
Or buy a smart tv and mount it on the wall with a soundbar. No furniture needed. Stream all of your content.

That is good advice.  I did that on the main floor and it has worked out great (mounted the tv above the fireplace).  The basement has a 7.1 surround sound system that I needed something to set speakers on.  It made sense in my head for the basement due to the speakers/sub-woofer and xbox one.  Mounting the tv would have worked too, but I also needed some additional places to store blu rays and what not so an entertainment center was the right fit. 
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 05, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
I spent my Sunday afternoon building an entertainment center from a box.  I bought it at some Nebraska Furniture Mart knock-off for like five hundo.  Every damn time I go to put one of those beasts together the little wrench they give you sucks beyond all sucking.  None of my drill bits fit the bolts so had to hand crank each screw.  My hand was freaking raw after 4 hours of screwing (insert masturbation quip here).  Had a real sweet swell going, but didn't catch any action from the gf.  Advice: buy an entertainment center that is already built.
Or buy a smart tv and mount it on the wall with a soundbar. No furniture needed. Stream all of your content.

That is good advice.  I did that on the main floor and it has worked out great (mounted the tv above the fireplace).  The basement has a 7.1 surround sound system that I needed something to set speakers on.  It made sense in my head for the basement due to the speakers/sub-woofer and xbox one.  Mounting the tv would have worked too, but I also needed some additional places to store blu rays and what not so an entertainment center was the right fit.
:thumbsup:
@mikec2w

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 05, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
SB house taking longer than expected :curse:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 06, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
How much does installing a sprinkler system cost in KC?  0.26 acre lot.  Ballpark? 

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »
How much does installing a sprinkler system cost in KC?  0.26 acre lot.  Ballpark?
.26 acres?  Is there even any grass to water?  I would think just filling your bird bath every other day and letting it overflow for an hour would take care of it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
So like what are some good questions to keep in mind/ask when I start shopping for home insurance?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 06, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »
So like what are some good questions to keep in mind/ask when I start shopping for home insurance?
Be certain to let them know that you are not a novice and that you know all about home insurance, you just want to here their spiel. (They will never suspect that they can take advantage of you if you lead with that.)

Also, get a high deductable. If you have a minor issue, you won't want to use your insurance anyway, so may as well get a $5,000 deductable or so.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
Good advice, slobbz. Anyone else? :excited:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
get a low deductible. if it hails you don't want to pay for $5k of a new roof. also home insurance is essentially free. it's amazing how cheap it is.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 06, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
Good advice, slobbz. Anyone else? :excited:

Make sure to get replacement cost not actual cash value coverage.

Also, there is usually a different deductible that applies to the roof, so pay attention to that.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
get a low deductible. if it hails you don't want to pay for $5k of a new roof. also home insurance is essentially free. it's amazing how cheap it is.

can i get a low deductible AND a free new roof?

Also it barely hails here and it's a brand new house so maybe that won't be an issue because of warranty or w/e? :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »

Also it barely hails here and it's a brand new house so maybe that won't be an issue because of warranty or w/e? :dunno:
unless you have a very reputable company as your builder your warranty is very LOL. FWIW

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #562 on: August 06, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
Our new house had an ugly brass casing (thing) on the fire place.  We got it all prepped last night and spray painted it with some nice, high-heat black spray paint.

Really classed it up.  It looks like a sexy black matte football helmet now.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »

that wind tho (maybe, I have no idea where you live or if you have high wind or any other weather stuff)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »

low deductible for sure.  I'm surprised yours is cheap considering Omaha gets so much hail.  insurance is expensive in Texas but even then when you consider how much it covers, it's a pretty good deal.
emaw

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 06, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »
Our new house had an ugly brass casing (thing) on the fire place.  We got it all prepped last night and spray painted it with some nice, high-heat black spray paint.

We have gold trim on the fireplace and the shower.  We are using some Rustoleum stuff that is made to cover both for now.  Glad to hear it worked well for you. 

We have taken a whole bunch of gold trim light fixtures and other stuff and done similar successfully.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 06, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »

low deductible for sure.  I'm surprised yours is cheap considering Omaha gets so much hail.  insurance is expensive in Texas but even then when you consider how much it covers, it's a pretty good deal.

yeah, I'm surprised as well. we got a new roof on our old house and in speaking with old people in the office most of them have never paid for a roof because omaha is good for a new roof storm every 10 years. our premium is ~$1k a year.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 06, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

We have gold trim on the fireplace and the shower.  We are using some Rustoleum stuff that is made to cover both for now.  Glad to hear it worked well for you. 

We have taken a whole bunch of gold trim light fixtures and other stuff and done similar successfully.

What product are you guys using?  Do recommend?  Link?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 06, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

yeah, I'm surprised as well. we got a new roof on our old house and in speaking with old people in the office most of them have never paid for a roof because omaha is good for a new roof storm every 10 years. our premium is ~$1k a year.

yeah that's pretty solid.  ours is like double that.  Texas, Louisiana and Florida rotate every year and trade spots as the top 3 most expensive states to insure in, because hurricanes obviously but both states also get hail and other types of severe weather.
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 06, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
flood insurance is mandated for most places here lol

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 06, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
they turned the lame-ass natural creek behind our house into a 25 foot wide 10 foot deep concrete drainage ditch of death so I don't need flood insurance :gocho:
emaw

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 06, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

that is pretty affordable.  Mine is double that. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 06, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

Get a sump pump with battery back up and you will be fine.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »

yeah that's pretty solid.  ours is like double that.  Texas, Louisiana and Florida rotate every year and trade spots as the top 3 most expensive states to insure in, because hurricanes obviously but both states also get hail and other types of severe weather.

what's also weird is our new house is ~ the same premium as our old house and it's over twice the size/value/coverage.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 06, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »

Get a sump pump with battery back up and you will be fine.

Might as well just get an automatic generator, right?  Batteries are esssspensive.  Probably get a decent little generator for <$500, and get to operate your fridge/freezer, garage doors, WIFI, furnace, basic lights, and the sump.