Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 112071 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  Fine print on inspection contracts usually limits their liability to the cost of their inspection.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #351 on: May 17, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
I got really excited today when we went into our new house (move in in two weeks) and I saw about five EMAW plates or swag in a two block radius.

I mean, guys, living up here in Missouri, you don't see that stuff.  It made me really happy.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 17, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »
Similar experience in my recent move.   Is pretty great.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 08, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
sb checking in :surprised:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »
I got really excited today when we went into our new house (move in in two weeks) and I saw about five EMAW plates or swag in a two block radius.

I mean, guys, living up here in Missouri, you don't see that stuff.  It made me really happy.

Couldn't have EMAW plates in missouri cause front and back. But I guess maybe those ones that go around the outside.  Sorry I called you a liar.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
_33 you are a treasure
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 08, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »
got a realtor and doing pre approval junk
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
Doing the same today, mocat. Wanna go halfsies on something? Be roomies?

Oh also, here's a question for all stud homeowners on this board. I know some realtors resist putting stuff on Zillow for whatever annoying dumb reason. This mls.com thing. Is it ONLY for realtors, or can I sign up for it too? Heard someone mention it. Anyone know the sign-up fees if I am able?

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 09, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
I am closing on a house this Friday.  I had the home built and it was a freaking nightmare.  The end product will be pretty freaking awesome, but the hassles getting there have been one big ball of stress.  Anyone have any horror stories?  My closing already got delayed a week because of a sod shortage.  I was supposed to be moved in last Friday, but that fell through.
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 09, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
I am closing on a house this Friday.  I had the home built and it was a freaking nightmare.  The end product will be pretty freaking awesome, but the hassles getting there have been one big ball of stress.  Anyone have any horror stories?  My closing already got delayed a week because of a sod shortage.  I was supposed to be moved in last Friday, but that fell through.

we moved in last week and still don't have sod because it's been raining a lot. our build went very smooth but a guy I am working with is having a pretty terrible time of it. he went with a bigger name builder (building 30'ish houses at any one time) and they don't seem to have time to deal with their questions and they framed up some stuff wrong and they are charging them for their own mistakes and stuff like that. seems pretty awful. our builder was building a couple other houses while they were doing ours and met me at the house about every day during the last month or so of the build and called me multiple times a day to confirm exactly what we wanted and stuff like that. it was a lot of dealing with them and going out there and stuff but I enjoyed doing it so it wasn't really work for me. would usually drive out there over lunch and chat them up for a bit. really enjoyed working with them.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 09, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
Signed on a townhouse last July while they were doing the framing/roofing; was supposed to be finished at the end of August/early Sept.  Moved in Feb of this year... 5-6 months late.

Builder was doing 6 units at a time.   Some weeks it didn't look like a single thing got done.  Ran into all kinds of problems with the underground utilities.  The city of Dallas was backed up/v.busy, wait times for permits were long, etc etc.  Doubt they made much money on the deal.   They're doing 6 more next door now (same exact plans), so it's nice to have them around to stop in and fix the crap they rushed or got wrong on our units.

It was nice to get to pick all the counters, paint, tile, cabinets, mirrors, lights, fans, etc... but also a lot of work on the side just to make up my mind.  Didn't have a Miss, Mrs., or S/O at the time to help w/ much, but in the end it was whether I liked it or not.

Finally getting stuff hung on the walls like I'd like.  Really enjoy collecting rent checks from my bros living in the other 2 bedrooms  :kstategrad:

That 5-6 month wait though, was a nightmare.  Wanted to gouge my eyes out every time a family member, co-worker, friend asked me what was taking so long, etc.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 09, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »
Sb, I dunno how other cities are, but when I bought in Topeka, it only cost money to list on a mls site, but was very easily searchable for buyers
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

we moved in last week and still don't have sod because it's been raining a lot. our build went very smooth but a guy I am working with is having a pretty terrible time of it. he went with a bigger name builder (building 30'ish houses at any one time) and they don't seem to have time to deal with their questions and they framed up some stuff wrong and they are charging them for their own mistakes and stuff like that. seems pretty awful. our builder was building a couple other houses while they were doing ours and met me at the house about every day during the last month or so of the build and called me multiple times a day to confirm exactly what we wanted and stuff like that. it was a lot of dealing with them and going out there and stuff but I enjoyed doing it so it wasn't really work for me. would usually drive out there over lunch and chat them up for a bit. really enjoyed working with them.

You need to hook that guy up on Angie's list or something.  Most builders are not that good with the customers. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
i bought like the third house i looked at, seemed pretty pud.  i sleep and pak there and post to gE and stuff

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
i bought like the third house i looked at, seemed pretty pud.  i sleep and pak there and post to gE and stuff

nice find tobias!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

nice find tobias!

it had everything i was looking for! :love:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 09, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

as soon as you left, they pee'd in your basement

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
Sb, I dunno how other cities are, but when I bought in Topeka, it only cost money to list on a mls site, but was very easily searchable for buyers

T-y seven. I can't figure out the website. :confused:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
http://www.gulfsouthrealestate.interealty.com/Index.asp

Try that (sorry if it sucks, just a quick search on my phone)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »

i bought the only house i looked at in mhk.  :cheers:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
Mrs. SB and I are going to look at our first house 2maro. Plz help me add a few 'minor detail' things that I should be on the lookout for that I might not think about their first time through the house. Wrote a few things down and asked a few other people and so far my list of things to look for that you might not think of the first time through looks like this:

--storage space like Steve Dave's mudroom lockers

--how many outlets are there in the house? This is important in the digital age. We moved into this place but had no idea how few electrical outlets there were, which has turned out to be a nuisance. A workable nuisance, but still a pain.

--Water heater age (gonna cost a G to get a noob put in)

--roof age (8-10 k to replace)

--HVAC age (gonna cost you 6-8 large to replace)

--termite inspection info (a GD nightmare if you get them shits)

--Wood rot: Avoid that crap like the goddamn plague.  Adam Carolla says wood rot is the house equivilant to cancer.  Once it starts it spreads and will destroy your home.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2014, 06:26:40 AM »
Most of those things I have never considered the first time I looked at a house, unless it was obviously falling apart. Those are just leverage in negotiations.
I look for things like:
Which way does the backyard face?
What is the flow of the house?
How big is the garage?
Steep driveway?
Kitchen size?

Basically, things that you will have to live with in the house. Storage applies, and maybe the outlets one does as well. The rest can all be fixed and are negotiation pieces if you want to buy the house.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »
Good stuff from dobber over here. More? :thumbs:

Gonna win 'em all!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:12:32 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
SB don't forget to make sure the house is the color you want. I mean, who wants to live in a red house?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
see how much/how fast it heats up on a summer day without the ac.  shade and sun outside for places to sit and grow plants.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."