Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 112129 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #325 on: April 22, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
Emo,  :dunno:.  It's been almost two yrs since I went through it last, but I believe I remember that any suggested change in price is a counter offer.  Pretty sure that is why there is a period of time a buyer can back out without repercussion after the inspection because if cost issues are found, it is the seller effectively changing the value of the contract. 

Prob would be a good time for a realtor or lawyer to step in, but I am pretty sure this is how I remember it.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 22, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »
In this market, if u try and nickel and dime the seller they're probably going to tell you to go eff off somewhere.  But what do I know, I'm just kim carnes.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
Just closed today on a house (home!?) :surprised:

pics of your garden plz :impatient:

Going mother rough ridin' Bob Vila on that bitch before we have to move in. Garden will have to wait a couple weeks.

There is a big mint patch on the side of the house though.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 23, 2014, 06:51:59 AM »
They should pay for anything that could be a safety issue.  Electric etc.

Offline kansas_troll_patrol

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

So I shouldn't feel like I got gypped if I pay for two of the issues and the buyer pays for two, and we end up paying about the same?

hey stevesie-

did you guys buy a house or something? exciting if so. where at?

In the process. Closing date is in August since it's being rented out now and we're currently renting. It's a couple blocks down from the Northview pool. So guess who will be going down a bunch of bad ass slides all day every summer day for the foreseeable future? That's right, Stevesie60.

I just purchased a house in the one of the Dix additions.  I don't move in until mid July though.  Looks like we'll be pretty close.  Are you impacted by the new flood maps in Manhattan?  We were lucky and found a home that is not.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
Put an offer in on a house today.  Very  :ohno:, but really  :crossfingers: at the same time.

We want it pretty bad.

i hope you guys get it. good luck.

He countered back with what we expected/hoped.  Realtor thinks we've got a deal.   :pray:

Good luck!  And welcome neighbor.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
Put an offer in on a house today.  Very  :ohno:, but really  :crossfingers: at the same time.

We want it pretty bad.

He countered back with what we expected/hoped.  Realtor thinks we've got a deal.   :pray:

We signed all of our paperwork last night; we're under contract.

Now to find an inspector and get that going...

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
So I shouldn't feel like I got gypped if I pay for two of the issues and the buyer pays for two, and we end up paying about the same?

hey stevesie-

In the process. Closing date is in August since it's being rented out now and we're currently renting. It's a couple blocks down from the Northview pool. So guess who will be going down a bunch of bad ass slides all day every summer day for the foreseeable future? That's right, Stevesie60.

that's great news. can't wait to drop off my kids at your house with their swimsuits in the afternoon and then come back to pick them up in time for dinner.  :thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

get a good inspector some of them suck at their jobs and you have to deal with the problems that they miss. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

get a good inspector some of them suck at their jobs and you have to deal with the problems that they miss.

I'm gonna use the guy I had last time.  I was able to find that old contact info.  He was really good.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
you have amazing organizational skills. 

kudos to those and to you for having them

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »

hey stevesie-

that's great news. can't wait to drop off my kids at your house with their swimsuits in the afternoon and then come back to pick them up in time for dinner.  :thumbs:

VISTA!?   :excited:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2014, 12:38:50 AM »
you have amazing organizational skills. 

kudos to those and to you for having them

The irony is that I have all of our documentation together for the underwriters, but our 2012 tax return is sitting in a plastic tub, in a storage unit, about 35 miles from my house.

:facepalm:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a place like the one below and spending the next 5-10 (or let's be more realistic) 10-15 years fixing it up while the area is overtaken by new developments/gentrified.  There are currently small condos two blocks away going for up to $300,000.  What do you guys think of this plan?

http://sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1395079

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2014/05/06/north-liberty-development/8791783/

The thing is, if I do this, I won't be able to kick myself down the road for not doing it when I had the chance.

BTW, the responses I got in this thread were identical to the one I got from my wife when I mentioned the idea to her.  (Nothing.  Not even an acknowledgment that I'd said something!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
sometimes you've chum1'd so hard nobody takes you seriously. but, I think it's a great idea and you should absolutely do it. little risk (other than the loss of your time and efforts) and good upside. even if it craps out wgaf.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks.  I should probably do a little more serious analysis thinking of it in terms of an investement.  That was definitely the gist.  I also thought it could be a nice hangout in a cool area.  Or even an empty nesting option.

I don't expect that anyone here would necessarily have anything to say, but I thought it was pretty funny how my wife pretended that it never happened.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
U live in the rust belt right?   Then that is an absolutely awful idea.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »

Five to ten years ago, you could have gotten a comparable rust belt special just a few blocks south, renovated it, and now be listing it for over $500,000. Would that have been a bad idea, too?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »

Five to ten years ago, you could have gotten a comparable rust belt special just a few blocks south, renovated it, and now be listing it for over $500,000. Would that have been a bad idea, too?

Yes?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #345 on: May 10, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a place like the one below and spending the next 5-10 (or let's be more realistic) 10-15 years fixing it up while the area is overtaken by new developments/gentrified.  There are currently small condos two blocks away going for up to $300,000.  What do you guys think of this plan?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2014/05/06/north-liberty-development/8791783/

The thing is, if I do this, I won't be able to kick myself down the road for not doing it when I had the chance.

BTW, the responses I got in this thread were identical to the one I got from my wife when I mentioned the idea to her.  (Nothing.  Not even an acknowledgment that I'd said something!)
If you have money on the sideline, then it would probably work for you. You're not likely to find an investment that triples your money in ten years. I wouldn't gamble with a mortgage.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 10, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »

you should buy a piece of crap '67 mustang that doesn't run and park it in the rehab house driveway.  and never work on it either

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
I don't know very much about cars, though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
you should do it, chum1.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »

We want it pretty bad.

I'm gonna use the guy I had last time.  I was able to find that old contact info.  He was really good.
My cousin bought a place to fix up and rent out to people... had the inspector in there and told him some of the remodeling plans he wanted to do, including taking out a wall.  Inspector gave him the all clear/go ahead.  Buys the place, wall comes down, roof tilts 5 degrees  :Yuck:   Told me he's currently trying to get the inspector to cover some of the repairs, i wished him luck in that venture.