Author Topic: Gill fired/KU coach search/Weiss master thread  (Read 328072 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Gill fired/KU coach search
« Reply #925 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
KU is not the worst job in the Big 12. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
Pretty sure the only two Big 12 programs to win BCS Bowls in the last four/five years are KU and Oklahoma.  Gill's salary was in the top 30 nationally.  It's far from the worst job in the Big 12.  

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

Minnesota is not the worst job in the Big 10. 

Sorry.  Forgot about Indiana.  

From 1953 - 2010: Minnesota is 282-325
From 1993 - 2010: Minnesota is 92-111

Statistically, Minnesota has the second worst football record in the Big10 in the last 60 years.  They were pretty good in the 1st half of the 20th Century, though.    

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 01, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
Pretty sure the only two Big 12 programs to win BCS Bowls in the last four/five years are KU and Oklahoma.  Gill's salary was in the top 30 nationally.  It's far from the worst job in the Big 12.  

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

Well, if you want easy money for no work then I guess maybe you're right.  Is that what you mean by not the worst job?  Because in terms of dollar per victory, nothing can compare.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: December 01, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
the gifs are making this thread....
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 01, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
now now the worst is very debatable.  i mean on what metrics?

Compared to the worst program in the Pac 12 (WSU)?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 01, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »

Well, if you want easy money for no work then I guess maybe you're right.  Is that what you mean by not the worst job?  Because in terms of dollar per victory, nothing can compare.

We just won a BCS Bowl four years ago.  We pay our coach in the top 25-30 range nationally.  We've got new football facilities.  Good fan support (when the team is respectable).  Decent recruiting grounds in KC, Wichita, and Texas.  It's a good, not great, job.  

Offline purplenutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 01, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »

$2mil per victory is what KU paid for in two seasons.  I'm waiting on a call from Zenger to get in on that Ponzi Scheme.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »

We just won a BCS Bowl four years ago.  We pay our coach in the top 25-30 range nationally.  We've got new football facilities.  Good fan support (when the team is respectable).  Decent recruiting grounds in KC, Wichita, and Texas.  It's a good, not great, job.  

:lol:

I mean, seriously Beems.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
I do have to laugh a little at Beems take given that ku hired Don Fambrough twice: Tthey brought him back after he went 16-17 his first time around, and when you consider that 2 out of their last 3 hires were Terry "NIU" Allen and Turner "Losing Record at Buffalo" Gill.

And Mason quit (twice), stepping up the ladder to take the worst job in the Big 10.  

If there is one thing Ben knows, it's being the worst job in a conference

omg  :lol:

It's a better job than Iowa State and K-State.  Probably on par with Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU.  

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 01, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
No one outside of Snyder can win at K-State, plus it's in the middle of nowhere.  I don't think you guys pay your coaches very well, either.  Iowa State hasn't been good since McCarney left... no explanation really needed there.  Up until a few years ago, Baylor was the worst job in the Big 12... and it wasn't even close.  Still trying to figure out what Texas Tech offers outside of being in Texas.  Then you've got TCU... who would still be in the Mountain West if it wasn't for one coach. 

But hey, it's 2011... KU sucks.  We need a good coach.  You are hayseeds.  That is all. 

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 01, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
grr
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:42:26 PM by Ira Hayes »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 01, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »
No one outside of Snyder can win at K-State, plus it's in the middle of nowhere.  I don't think you guys pay your coaches very well, either.  Iowa State hasn't been good since McCarney left... no explanation really needed there.  Up until a few years ago, Baylor was the worst job in the Big 12... and it wasn't even close.  Still trying to figure out what Texas Tech offers outside of being in Texas.  Then you've got TCU... who would still be in the Mountain West if it wasn't for one coach. 

But hey, it's 2011... KU sucks.  We need a good coach.  You are hayseeds.  That is all. 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 01, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
I do have to laugh a little at Beems take given that ku hired Don Fambrough twice: Tthey brought him back after he went 16-17 his first time around, and when you consider that 2 out of their last 3 hires were Terry "NIU" Allen and Turner "Losing Record at Buffalo" Gill.

And Mason quit (twice), stepping up the ladder to take the worst job in the Big 10.  

If there is one thing Ben knows, it's being the worst job in a conference

omg  :lol:

It's a better job than Iowa State and K-State.  Probably on par with Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU.  

@mikec2w

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:13 PM »
This thread got so good, so quickly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

omg  :lol:

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:05 PM »
No one outside of Snyder can win at K-State, plus it's in the middle of nowhere.  I don't think you guys pay your coaches very well, either.  Iowa State hasn't been good since McCarney left... no explanation really needed there.  Up until a few years ago, Baylor was the worst job in the Big 12... and it wasn't even close.  Still trying to figure out what Texas Tech offers outside of being in Texas.  Then you've got TCU... who would still be in the Mountain West if it wasn't for one coach.  

But hey, it's 2011... KU sucks.  We need a good coach.  You are hayseeds.  That is all.  

during dod snyds was one of the top salaries in the big 12 and country.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
Wow if true . . . an open job at a school that currently pays $5 million a year to its HC.

Maybe they'll go after Urban since BMW didn't think I was serious.

Urban is the next head coach at Ohio State.  Do you live in a cave?

If Urban Meyer were the greatest coach in the world, would you let that get in your way?  [spoiler]And I wish I lived in a cave.[/spoiler]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
With bonuses, Snyder will make well over $2 million this year, he's paid plenty, heck his base package is worth something like $1.9 million this year.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
Sumlin to ASU.  and also  :lol:
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »