Author Topic: So I'm giving a test in my American Literature class  (Read 2090 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
So I'm giving a test in my American Literature class
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »
down here in Louisiana today.  I'm rockin' the purple at work.  There's EMAW oozing out of my every orifice.   My students (high school juniors) are apathetic about all matters K-State (thanks, Big XII TV deal), of course disregarding the message I've scrawled on the board about tuning in to ESPN360.com tonight.  ( :curse: )  

Here are a few questions from the test, which is over the Ernest Gaines novel A Lesson Before Dying.

4.  As a child, Grant was raised primarily by ______________________, while Jefferson was raised primarily by ________________________.
A)  Miss Emma; Tante Lou   B)  Reverend Ambrose; Frank Martin   C) Jefferson; Grant         D)  Tante Lou; Miss Emma     E)  Jacob Pullen; Reverend Ambrose   F)  Irene Cole; Vivian    G)  Jacob Pullen; "Papa" Denis Clemente           H) None of the above   

5.  The location where Grant and Jefferson spent so many days of their upbringing was    _____________________________________________.  
   A)  Reverend Ambrose’s Church      B)  Henri Pichot’s Plantation   C)  The Octagon of Doom  
   D)  The White Rabbit Lounge      E)  None of the above   F)  All of the above

6.   Jefferson’s defense attorney was quoted in the courtroom as saying, “What justice would there    be to take this life?  Justice, gentlemen?  Why, I would just as soon put _________________________ in the    electric chair as this.”

A)  A hog   B)  Baby Jay   C)  A horse   D) None of the above  E) All of the above     F)  A&B      G)  A&C

10. In the last chapter, _________________________________ brings Grant __________________________________________.
   A)  Jefferson; Pecans, Peanuts, and a Jam Phone      B)  Sheriff Guidry; Jefferson’s radio   
   C)  Paul; Jefferson’s radio      D)  Paul; Jefferson’s journal     E)  Reverend Ambrose; a Bible   F)  Miss Emma;    Vanilla Ice Cream and a “big ol’ pot spoon”      G)  Tante Lou; Jefferson’s journal      H)  Mr. Emaw; A Power Towel      I)  Jim Wooldridge; a neckbrace   

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:05:59 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm giving a test in my American Literature class
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
 :bball:

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
That is awesome.  Love the subliminal emaw messages.  You're still going to give them credit if they choose an emaw answer, right?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
Definitely giving them credit, especially if they draw me a coach in a neckbrace putting it to KU in Allen Fieldhouse. 
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
I lol'd at Jim wolly, a neckbrace.   :thumbsup:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
I lol'd at Jim wolly, a neckbrace.   :thumbsup:

Ya, that was top-shelf.

pcp

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »
DAMN YOU for the "None of the above" cop out...  DAMN YOU I Say!

The rest of it was pretty good though  :cheers:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
DAMN YOU for the "None of the above" cop out...  DAMN YOU I Say!

The rest of it was pretty good though  :cheers:

Cop-out?  :dunno:

Wanted to include something about Sherron and double-cheeseburgers, but didn't have enough space on the page, really.

Offline Reggie Singlegur

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
I thought Bill Walker brought Grant a box of popcorn

EMAW
Reg

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
I originally had it as Bill Walker bringing Grant a dirty towel, but then I remembered that B-Dubz is a super elite superstar for the New York Knicks now, and as such, some of my students might know him enough to Google it.  Not the case with the current head coach at UC-Riverside.  Much safer choice.

GetFipps

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »
I thought Rev. Ambrose gave (not brought) Grant a Rusty Trombone. 
Can't believe you'd miss that.  :facepalm:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Anybody else read the book?  Can anybody else verify that Reverend Ambrose gave Grant a Rusty Trombone?  :dunno: It's the end of the day, I'm tired and in a teacher haze.  Anybody know?  tia.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
A teacher?   :rolleyes:  Get a real job.

Anywho, what happens if someone marks an emaw answer?  Do you count it as incorrect or give extra credit?  Do you have a key for this exam or a rubric?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
Pretty sure I can expect the 'missing the finals test' dream now within the next two weeks.  Thanks jackoff!  :flush:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline MrsJoker

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
Sweet!  I'm a middle school teacher in Colorado...might have to steal your idea for my Of Mice and Men test. 

"_____________ shoots ________________ in the head."
a) Pullen, Collins    b)  Collins, his baby     c) Tyshawn Taylor, Todd Reesing      d) George, Lennie     e) all of the above
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Michael Scott/Wayne Gretzky