Author Topic: Are you telling we are better off w/ Lou and not Wally?  (Read 6084 times)

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Are you telling we are better off w/ Lou and not Wally?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 02:06:20 AM »
24-4, about to tie the school record for wins and folks worry about things that are irrelevant to the here and now.  Kinda "phog"-ish really.

my bad I guess we should just sit around and pat each other on the back.  Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the crap out of the success this year and soaking up every win.  BUT we are 2 games away and 10 days from tourney time, your only as strong as your weakest link and i don't know about you but I would like to be as strong as possible and to make it deep this year and do some AMAZING things.. and if having wally play more significant mins over Lou earlier in the year than it should have been done.

You're assuming that we would be in the same position we are in right now w/o Lou. And that playing Wally in spite of his lack of experience and poor preparation wouldn't have cost us even a single victory in Big XII play. What you're saying is that Frank should be sacrificing opportunities to win ball games in order to get freshman more minutes/experience so that we are better prepared for tournament play.Sorry, but that's what the non-con is for and that's precisely what happened.

I would rather play for a win in every game with the goal of winning the Big XII regular season title - which comes with a bye in the Big XII tournament as reward. Next, you set the goal of winning every game you play in the Big XII tournament because that comes with the reward of an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. After that, you try to win every game you play in the NCAA Tournament. If you can do that, the rewards are vast.

The moral of this story: Frank Martin believes that Luis Colon, not Wally Judge, gives us a better chance at winning every game we play. At 24-4 and ranked 6th in the nation, I believe Frank. I also believe that as soon as Frank thinks Wally (or any other player) gives us a better chance to win, they will be utilized. We saw this with Henriquez-Roberts in the MU game on Saturday. I'm glad Frank wants to win every game.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
I was listening to Frank the other day on 810, and he was talking about K-State's success this season.  One thing he mentioned was that K-State had "two grown men" in Colon and Clemente.  He noted that guys like Pullen and Sutton have essentially been three-year starters, and Curtis Kelly is a 4th year transfer.  K-State is an experienced team.  People don't realize how important that is in college basketball.  Sure, Wally Judge is the guy with all the talent, but if he's constantly out of position on defense, that's only going to hurt the team. 

This is true. And I think Wally's mistakes hurts us more than his raw talent helps. I know they hurt us more than LuCo's mistakes. Lu' has the ability to shake off a mistake quickly (again... experience) and often times even quickly make up for a mistake on an ensuing possession. I can think of a more than a few times where he will put up an ill advised shot or make a bad pass, and within 1 or 2 possessions he's taken a charge or blocked a shot.

Also, despite the perception outlined in this thread, we still have four freshman averaging 10+ minutes per game for the season. That's actually some pretty solid experience being racked up.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:38 AM »
does it matter w/ Wally?  more than likely he'd foul out in under 5 minutes. 

but who knows?  he might get a shot against KU considering his lack of fouling against them in the first game.   :crossfingers:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:37 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I want to have Wally improve, its just tough to find him minutes in close games and tough to keep him on the court when he gets stupid fouls constantly.

Just like Colon.  In close games down the stretch, this team simply can't afford to have Luis on the floor.  And Frank would agree. 

See OU, Tech, MU, and probably KU.  Colon plays solid minutes in the first half.  We suck.  And in the second half, the guy is nowhere to be found.  And we're good. 

Wally is tough to defend.  The guy plays attrocious defense and shoots with zero confidence.  It is painfully obvious that he's not ready yet.  But his fundamentals and mechanics are undeniable.  The guy has skills.  For the meantime, though, it looks like JHR has actually emerged as the only legitimate answer to keeping Colon off the floor.   

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »
Pretty clear to me Frank must be giving all our bad players more minutes than our good players intentionally.  Probably setting up some sort of exit strategy to leave for the Miami job.   :ohno:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:16 AM »
Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the best.  Judge sucks.

Offline RonLongshaft

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 06:57:32 AM »
24-4, about to tie the school record for wins and folks worry about things that are irrelevant to the here and now.  Kinda "phog"-ish really.

my bad I guess we should just sit around and pat each other on the back.  Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the crap out of the success this year and soaking up every win.  BUT we are 2 games away and 10 days from tourney time, your only as strong as your weakest link and i don't know about you but I would like to be as strong as possible and to make it deep this year and do some AMAZING things.. and if having wally play more significant mins over Lou earlier in the year than it should have been done.

You're assuming that we would be in the same position we are in right now w/o Lou. And that playing Wally in spite of his lack of experience and poor preparation wouldn't have cost us even a single victory in Big XII play. What you're saying is that Frank should be sacrificing opportunities to win ball games in order to get freshman more minutes/experience so that we are better prepared for tournament play.
Sorry, but that's what the non-con is for and that's precisely what happened.

I would rather play for a win in every game with the goal of winning the Big XII regular season title - which comes with a bye in the Big XII tournament as reward. Next, you set the goal of winning every game you play in the Big XII tournament because that comes with the reward of an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. After that, you try to win every game you play in the NCAA Tournament. If you can do that, the rewards are vast.

The moral of this story: Frank Martin believes that Luis Colon, not Wally Judge, gives us a better chance at winning every game we play. At 24-4 and ranked 6th in the nation, I believe Frank. I also believe that as soon as Frank thinks Wally (or any other player) gives us a better chance to win, they will be utilized. We saw this with Henriquez-Roberts in the MU game on Saturday. I'm glad Frank wants to win every game.

that is not at all what I am saying, I don't understand when you are up by double digits late in the game against, TT, OU, MU etc that wally doesn't see the floor until under a min or so to play, a couple 2-3 min spurts here and there would help the kid alot and would/could help down the road in big12 tourney or NCAA tourney play when players are tired from playing more games in less days and foul trouble or an injury might occur.  Honestly I DO NOT think Wally would have cost us a game this year if he got more PT my thats just IMO

Offline RonLongshaft

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
:RLSclearinghisthroat:

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »

qft.

lol@the goEMAW tards.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
Really? Gonna bring this one back? Off one half of basketball and not a whole seasons worth of stats that say otherwise. :jerk:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:59 PM »

That was a good and 1 that wally gave whatever 'Tard Morris that was from not blocking out.  

In all seriousness though, Wally is doing better than Lu could this game.  I am happy about this.  This has still been far from the case this whole season.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
Lou has played poorly and Wally stepped up.  Hope Wally keeps playing well, except for a couple times on the boards.

Offline RonLongshaft

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »

That was a good and 1 that wally gave whatever 'Tard Morris that was from not blocking out.  

In all seriousness though, Wally is doing better than Lu could this game.  I am happy about this.  This has still been far from the case this whole season.
[/b]

serious???

Offline EMAFW

• Fan
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

[/b]

serious???
it's no use RLS, they don't understand

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »

[/b]

serious???

I don't know what part you're emphasizing when you bold the whole fracking thing.  Yes, Lou has had a better season.  Just about every stat confirms this, the man just looks awkward on the court.  And yes, Wally's best game is going to be better than Lou's best, adn thats what we are seeing tonight.  So I am happy for that.  Wally has about a million times the potential of Lou.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
And Lou starts the 2nd half with a big putback and draws a charge...

Still, we'll need minutes from Wally later...