Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 251263 times)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1700 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
I wanna know what the Big 10 does in their presser.  Like, I'm hoping for carnage.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
From what I have read, Penn State did not sign off on this nor did they know in advance. If that is the case, I would bet there will be lawsuits and this will drag on for months/years.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1702 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
lol at anyone that thinks we'll get a single penn state player.

WE GOTTA TRY RICK!  WE GOTTA!

Have we offered anyone over the last 2-3 years who chose Penn State?  Prolly very few, but start with those guys....use pay phones or Skype.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 23, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
Good lord our compliance dept is prolly in overdrive right now. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
Maybe I missed it but where is penn state cool with ncaa penalties?  You can't just disregard policies and process.  The ncaa has no basis whatsoever to investgate penn state.  Still haven't seen the rule they violated or the precedent for an investigation.

What precedent is there to criminal actions, such as in the case at hand, taken with the intent to bolster an NCAA program?  That's what we have here.  We have perhaps the most heinous crimes on earth, covered up, to preserve the standing of an NCAA program.

How on earth does that fail to fall within area in which the NCAA can act? 

Penn State can still play football outside of the NCAA.  They can still stage football events at their 80K stadium.  The NCAA is merely saying that if you choose to wantonly fail to report child rape to protect the image of your program, then you have to pay if you still want to be in the NCAA.

Don't like it?  Leave the NCAA.  Problem solved.

yeah, get all that.  just questioning whether the ncaa is the correct authoritative body to hand down punishment for this.  seems like a court (civil or criminal) and possibly the DOE should be.  I just kind of want it to come from a different organization than the one that said "oh, well, ya know, auburn and cam didn't really break any rules, cause, like Cam didn't know and stuff."

Well the CIA isn't getting involved and a civil court may tap their money but the football team churns along as if no children were raped.

don't disagree with the punishment (or that the institution should be punished), just disagree with the body handing it down.

Lot's of people hate the NCAA but it might be the only one who has the reach to sap some of their football programs strength.  Would you feel better if a civil court started handing out schollie limits and post season bans?  I wouldn't

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
Good lord our compliance dept is prolly in overdrive right now.

Agreed.  I bet Currie will convince one of our asst coaches to admit to showering with 10 year old boys just so he can get in on this mea culpa.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
From what I have read, Penn State did not sign off on this nor did they know in advance. If that is the case, I would bet there will be lawsuits and this will drag on for months/years.

Where on earth did you read that? 

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Lays Down Hammer on Penn State - Thoughts?
« Reply #1707 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »
Also vacated all wins from 1998-2011

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

ESPN (but no source) http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998
Penn State athletics had been given no indication from the NCAA about what sanctions or penalties were to be levied on the department and football program, a source with direct knowledge of the situation in State College told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Sunday night. If this were a traditional infractions case, the athletic department would have known up to 24 hours in advance.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »

Have we offered anyone over the last 2-3 years who chose Penn State?  Prolly very few, but start with those guys....use pay phones or Skype.

we couldn't even get the really good football playing high jumper from emporia and we're less than an hour away, came off a 10-2 season and employ the best high jumping coach in america. we aren't getting any penn state players.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

ESPN (but no source) http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998
Penn State athletics had been given no indication from the NCAA about what sanctions or penalties were to be levied on the department and football program, a source with direct knowledge of the situation in State College told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Sunday night. If this were a traditional infractions case, the athletic department would have known up to 24 hours in advance.

This article has probably been updated since you read it.  It now contains:

Penn State, in a statement released less than an hour after the sanctions were revealed, said it will accept them
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:38 AM »
Someone start a "things that will happen before a Penn State player ends up at K-State" thread.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »

we couldn't even get the really good football playing high jumper from emporia and we're less than an hour away, coming of a 10-2 season and employ the best high jumping coach in america. we aren't getting any penn state players.

I am almost certain no one from KSU will contact any current PSU player or recruit.  I'd put this at 99.9%

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Hey guys, guess who's the "cross divisional rival" of Nebraska?  :flush:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1714 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Hey guys, guess who's the "cross divisional rival" of Nebraska?  :flush:

I bet Pelini lands a boat load of Penn State guys

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
NU just gained a huge advantage in their division. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 23, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
What time do you think Currie woke up this morning?  Did he even sleep last night or was he too excited?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »
What time do you think Currie woke up this morning?  Did he even sleep last night or was he too excited?

What do you think would have been more exciting to him?  Viewing NCAA oversight at its zenith? Or, knowing he can start dictating policy in regards to pursuing Penn State players within a matter of hours? 

catzacker

« Reply #1718 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
Maybe I missed it but where is penn state cool with ncaa penalties?  You can't just disregard policies and process.  The ncaa has no basis whatsoever to investgate penn state.  Still haven't seen the rule they violated or the precedent for an investigation.

What precedent is there to criminal actions, such as in the case at hand, taken with the intent to bolster an NCAA program?  That's what we have here.  We have perhaps the most heinous crimes on earth, covered up, to preserve the standing of an NCAA program.

Penn State can still play football outside of the NCAA.  They can still stage football events at their 80K stadium.  The NCAA is merely saying that if you choose to wantonly fail to report child rape to protect the image of your program, then you have to pay if you still want to be in the NCAA.

yeah, get all that.  just questioning whether the ncaa is the correct authoritative body to hand down punishment for this.  seems like a court (civil or criminal) and possibly the DOE should be.  I just kind of want it to come from a different organization than the one that said "oh, well, ya know, auburn and cam didn't really break any rules, cause, like Cam didn't know and stuff."

Well the CIA isn't getting involved and a civil court may tap their money but the football team churns along as if no children were raped.

don't disagree with the punishment (or that the institution should be punished), just disagree with the body handing it down.

Lot's of people hate the NCAA but it might be the only one who has the reach to sap some of their football programs strength.  Would you feel better if a civil court started handing out schollie limits and post season bans?  I wouldn't
I'd feel better if the criminal and civil courts (and possibly the department of education or justice department) did their job.  I dunno, the ncaa standing on moral high ground is akin to a whore giving a sermon about chastity at church.  I find it hollow for them to find their balls now.  I guess I am all for burning it all down, starting with the ncaa, then penn state.  Maybe chuck norriss could do it.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

I'd feel better if the criminal and civil courts (and possibly the department of education or justice department) did their job.  I dunno, the ncaa standing on moral high ground is akin to a whore giving a sermon about chastity at church.  I find it hollow for them to find their balls now.  I guess I am all for burning it all down, starting with the ncaa, then penn state.  Maybe chuck norriss could do it.

someone must have read Spencer Hall's column this morning.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Just read that Penn State gets no share of Bowl revenue for 4 years.
RIP Fatty

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

What do you think would have been more exciting to him?  Viewing NCAA oversight at its zenith? Or, knowing he can start dictating policy in regards to pursuing Penn State players within a matter of hours?

He won't have to dictate any policy to our recruiting staff that would otherwise prevent them from pursuing players, their overall inability to recruit will take care of that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »

I am not sure it is the Dept of Education's or DOJ's "job" to punish PSU football program.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Just read that Penn State gets no share of Bowl revenue for 4 years.

yeah, big 10 handed down their own stuff on top of the NCAA.  at first I was pissed because I thought the other big 10 schools would get to split it but it goes to child abuse.  They are supposed to pay the $60 million strictly from football revenue while getting no football revenue. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
I am not sure it is the Dept of Education's or DOJ's "job" to punish PSU football program.

The DOE can go after PSU for not complying with laws regarding the reciept of federal education funds and the reporting of sexual abuse statistics.  Aren't these the laws they are using to procecute the UP & AD? 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls