Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 251324 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1300 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
@BobbyBigWheel: I still think they should keep the Paterno statue and just tell everyone that it's the guy from Up.

lol, except I don't like him being associated with a cartoon that my kids watch.  Maybe just put a pedobear mask on it.

Move it to shower

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
They should def be required to adopt Pedobear as their official mascot for the next 5-10yrs or so.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 12, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
I haven't heard one good argument for why the NCAA should get involved, beyond variations of:  "Well there just has to be something".

If the NCAA isn't going to investigate an athletic program with 5 people sent off to Federal Prision because of their actions while working for a particular NCAA school's athletic program and specifically with that particular programs most valuable asset involving transactions that go into the 7 figures in total.

They aren't going to investigate this situation, despite how horrible it is . . . it is a criminal/civil case, not an NCAA case, unless someone can start pointing out SPECIFIC NCAA violations, and NO . . . pointing out that Penn State may have broken the Spirit of the NCAA mission statement, ain't an NCAA violation.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
Not up to date on NCAA regs, but wouldn't this fall under institutional control given that the coaches and AD employees were involved?  Or does it not because it doesn't involve college athletes?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
Not up to date on NCAA regs, but wouldn't this fall under institutional control given that the coaches and AD employees were involved?  Or does it not because it doesn't involve college athletes?

I am pretty certain lack of institutional control HAS to be tied to specific NCAA violations.

I don't think there's a PedoBear section in the NCAA rulebook . . . yet.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1305 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »

I am pretty certain lack of institutional control HAS to be tied to specific NCAA violations.

They're going to wiggle into the ethics bylaws.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: July 12, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »

I could see that then.   That said, it seems wild to me that a school could get in trouble for their athletes getting arrested or using illegal substances, but not because their coaches are breaking laws.  That said, I do understand the inability to retroactively write regs just because something horrible yet previously unthought of by the NCAA occurred.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 12, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

If they try and to do that they'll expose themselves to be 10x's bigger hypocrites than they already are . . . most people will cheer it on because they're out for blood.   But if they are going to try and go into special treatment territory for college athletes that regular students do not receive than they might as well shut it all down, because that goes on everywhere.   If I ran the NCAA, I wouldn't touch this thing.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1308 on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

If they try and to do that they'll expose themselves to be 10x's bigger hypocrites than they already are . . . most people will cheer it on because they're out for blood.   But if they are going to try and go into special treatment territory for college athletes that regular students do not receive than they might as well shut it all down, because that goes on everywhere.   If I ran the NCAA, I wouldn't touch this thing.

You can destroy Penn State and make an example out of them, and no one would care.

Hypocrite or not, this happened at a bad time for PSU given what's gone on at Miami and other institutions.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
Because of the "out for blood" thing, they have to at least address it.  They have to at least release a statement detailing why. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »

You can destroy Penn State and make an example out of them, and no one would care.

Hypocrite or not, this happened at a bad time for PSU given what's gone on at Miami and other institutions.

Lots of people would care Panj, the NCAA would open themselves up to massive amounts of questioning by powerful entites that would see right through the vindictivness factor.    Penn State with proper legal representation could crucify the NCAA in court.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »

Lots of people would care Panj, the NCAA would open themselves up to massive amounts of questioning by powerful entites that would see right through the vindictivness factor.    Penn State with proper legal representation could crucify the NCAA in court.

ncaa may be in #burnitdown mode with all the pending litigation coming their way.  Rationally it doesn't make much sense for them to get involved.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
With the angles that I see and hear people putting forth in support of the NCAA getting involved . . . if that were too happen, I suggest that our resident legal eagles and BSAC charter the first private jet they could find to Happy Valley and try to get hired on as Penn State's lawyers.  Not only would it be a license to print money, but they could be involved in THE landmark event in the history of college athletics in the United States.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
I just don't know why the NCAA would let this happen in the first place.  :curse:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
i still haven't heard one good argument for why i should give a eff about whether or not the ncaa gets involved

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 12, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »
They should just build the next space shuttle launch pad on top of the PSU athletics department.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: July 12, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
Didn't make it in and had to watch from the monitor unfortunately. 

But I don't see how this isn't worst case scenario for Penn State.

No matter how bad things get, they can always get worse.

I feel bad for the Penn State alums out there, but at this point that institution should just be burnt to the ground. Maybe the entire city of State College, too.

It's like a freaking cult.  Penn State alums are all out of their minds.  Penn State BF told me LAST WEEK his biggest regret in life was not buying a 3 foot tall Joe Paterno bobble head. 

I asked him this morning if the JoePa statue should come down and he said no.

Sounds like a keeper.

Also, post more, you are funny.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
Haven't read anything other than this thread today, but still seems like a weird thing for NCAA to be involved with.  It's kind of a reach to say that allowing a boy-raper to stay on or around the program is unfair.  Same reason I don't get why athletes get in troubs for smoking weed.

There's criminal and civil suits and death to deal w/the bad guys.

yeah, agreed.

I guess the counter-argument is that either could imply to recruits that "we don't give a eff what you do, we are going to win.  Get high (but still kick ass at football), rape boys, etc.  DO NOT GIVE A eff" and thus the school would have a recruiting advantage.  :dunno:
MCMW writ large.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20120712_TVs_at_PSU_student_center_suddenly_switch_to_public_access.html

The handful of students and alumni that gathered in Penn State's student center this morning to watch the release of the Freeh report live were stunned when the channel suddenly switched.

While most of campus was still sleepy, the small group was viewing CNN on a large screen, or one of several smaller screens nearby, in anticipation of the 9 a.m. release of the report on the sex abuse scandal that has gripped the school.  Most were hoping that the report, part of a seven-month probe by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, would exonerate legendary football coach Joe Paterno.

But, just as an anchor was ready to speak about the report, the television screens suddenly went blank. They then turned to a public access channel featuring a reporter from The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown about the state budget. Everyone watching suddenly went scrambling to find a way to switch the channel back at the student center, known as the HUB-Robeson Center Facility, or simply, "the Hub."

"Is this some kind of conspiracy?" asked Mary Krupa, an 18-year-old freshman from State College, Pa.

John Kruse, 48, an alumnus, was also in the student center at the time.

"I'm here today to find out who know what and when," Kruse said of the report.

Kruse had been waiting in anticipation, and trying not to pre-judge what Freeh might find, when the channel changed.
On the public access channel, The Morning Call reporter was discussing the state budget, and referred to an item he dubbed a, "$27 million turkey," as Kruse watched in disbelief.

"I don't care about your $27 million turkey," Kruse shouted toward the TV set. "Come on and change the channel."
Several students went to speak with a student working at the main desk at the student center. But the student said a university employee was in charge of what is broadcast. That person, the student said, was in a meeting and could not be reached.

I don't care about your $27 million turkey!!!   :grrr:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:27:36 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 12, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
That would buy a lot of meatgoat, for what it's worth.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: July 12, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
This is all I can see when reading this thread anymore.

They're going to wiggle it into the ethic bylaws!  :crossfingers: :sdeek:

If they try and to do that they'll expose themselves to be 10x's bigger  . . . most people will cheer it on because they're out for blood:jerk::blush:
If I ran, I wouldn't touch this thing.  :fistpump:

maybe just the tip  :pbj:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 12, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
The really important issue here is, are there any recruits or players we could take from them?

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 12, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »
— Handwritten note, apparently from Paterno to Sandusky: "If there were no (Second) Mile, then I believe you ... probably could be the next Penn State FB coach. But you wanted the best of two worlds and I probably should have sat down with you six or seven years and said look Jerry, if you want to be head coach at Penn State, give up your association with the (Second) Mile and concentrate on nothing but your family and Penn State. ... You are too deeply involved in both."
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
The really important issue here is, are there any recruits or players we could take from them?

Yeah, this is when we need a dirty guy on staff to call players w/o permission and ask them how they like being associated with the largest symbol of pedophilia known to this generation.  Then ask them how they would feel about still playing for an old school coach, but one that doesn't condone kid rape in the shower they use twice daily.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 12, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
— Handwritten note, apparently from Paterno to Sandusky: "If there were no (Second) Mile, then I believe you ... probably could be the next Penn State FB coach. But you wanted the best of two worlds and I probably should have sat down with you six or seven years and said look Jerry, if you want to be head coach at Penn State, give up your association with the (Second) Mile and concentrate on nothing but your family and Penn State. ... You are too deeply involved in both."

Ah, the classic scene from any "Wallstreet" type movie where the grizzled veteran takes the young up-and-comer under his wing and says "Kid, you can make it in this business. Maybe even have my job someday. But you gotta dial down the child raping first. I mean, get that crap under control."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."