Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 146054 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1475 on: March 11, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
I took Milo out to the farm this weekend for a final evaluation on whether or not to drop $800 for a month of training and have decided to hold off for now. I basically just let her run around in the CRP while I followed to see how she did.

She definitely has a nose for the birds and tracked/found 4 birds along with some random flushes while we were walking. Despite being a pointer she acted more like a flusher which I have read is normal when they are first exposed to birds, once they realize they can't catch them they start to point. Its a god dam beautiful thing to see a dog get birdy and follow a scent, Milo tracked 1 pheasant about 50-100 yards through the CRP just zig'n and zag'n. I was not sure what she was following but finally she went over a hill and right when I got to the top of the hill a pheasant busted up with Milo nipping at its feet. She also got nose to nose with a hen before it busted out of the grass.

I'll work her on some more birds this summer after the hatch then will see how this fall goes and re-evaluate training next spring.
Keeping her on birds is most of the battle. Instincts are there, the fire just needs to be stoked.  Spend time at home on control commands (here, stay, whoa, heel) and learning to fetch. Reward correct behavior with treats or just a scratch behind the ears.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
10 months old and already hanging paper.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »
congrats milo, hope the success doesn't change you

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 11, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
I'd like to talk about my pooch for a sec. just a freak show but I love him to death.
When we used to live out by the lake he found a pack rat killed it and then when we tried to get it away from him he swallowed it whole  :Yuck:
Live in town now, sonuva gun caught a squirrel  :surprised: obvi ate that too (I swear we feed him)
Well just the other day I discovered that me being a big dumb dumb had left some bird seed in our garage and that we had mice in there.  Brought him into the garage and he caught and ate all four mice  :love: stud

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 11, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
he doesn't want his food given to him.  he's trying to tell you that but YOU WON'T LISTEN!!!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 11, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »
I'd like to talk about my pooch for a sec. just a freak show but I love him to death.
When we used to live out by the lake he found a pack rat killed it and then when we tried to get it away from him he swallowed it whole  :Yuck:
Live in town now, sonuva gun caught a squirrel  :surprised: obvi ate that too (I swear we feed him)
Well just the other day I discovered that me being a big dumb dumb had left some bird seed in our garage and that we had mice in there.  Brought him into the garage and he caught and ate all four mice  :love: stud

That is an impressive kill list, what kind of dog is it? I'm guessing some 20-35lb terrier or maybe a weiner dog?

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 11, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
My dog is the same. He has caught birds, rabbits, squirrels, opossums, pack rats and a neighbor's chicken that made the mistake of flying(?) into our yard. He doesn't eat the opossums or pack rats, just leaves them by the backdoor. He's selfish though and keeps the choice animals for his own dining pleasure.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 13, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
I took Milo out to the farm this weekend for a final evaluation on whether or not to drop $800 for a month of training and have decided to hold off for now. I basically just let her run around in the CRP while I followed to see how she did.

She definitely has a nose for the birds and tracked/found 4 birds along with some random flushes while we were walking. Despite being a pointer she acted more like a flusher which I have read is normal when they are first exposed to birds, once they realize they can't catch them they start to point. Its a god dam beautiful thing to see a dog get birdy and follow a scent, Milo tracked 1 pheasant about 50-100 yards through the CRP just zig'n and zag'n. I was not sure what she was following but finally she went over a hill and right when I got to the top of the hill a pheasant busted up with Milo nipping at its feet. She also got nose to nose with a hen before it busted out of the grass.

I'll work her on some more birds this summer after the hatch then will see how this fall goes and re-evaluate training next spring.
Keeping her on birds is most of the battle. Instincts are there, the fire just needs to be stoked.  Spend time at home on control commands (here, stay, whoa, heel) and learning to fetch. Reward correct behavior with treats or just a scratch behind the ears.

BW, I'm working from home/farm the next couple of weeks which means Milo is going to worked on plenty of birds. Any drills/training I should do?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 16, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »
Took Milo out to chase birds this evening, she found 3 herself along with some wild flushes. Well on her way to being the best bird dog west of the Mississippi.

Online BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 16, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
Took Milo out to chase birds this evening, she found 3 herself along with some wild flushes. Well on her way to being the best bird dog west of the Mississippi.
Exxellent. Can you carry a gun while out there ? Or a pistol with blanks? Help her get used to gunfire.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Exxellent. Can you carry a gun while out there ? Or a pistol with blanks? Help her get used to gunfire.

1.5 miles to the nearest neighbors so I can do as I please. Sometimes I carry a .22 just in case we run into a badger/skunk/JUVENILE MOUNTAIN LION but haven't shot it. Think I should blast some shotgun shells when the birds flush? (Not aiming for them obviously)

Milo is not gun shy but I guess it wouldn't hurt. Also tell me how I can help induce her to point instead of flush. Right now she is a flushing pointer but Im just glad she is finding birds.

I've got at least until April before I let the pheasants be so they can sex each other up so any tips are appreciated.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
Also when I rolled into the cat ranch a couple days ago I saw 2 pheasants in the middle of the driveway and about 7 flew out of the windbreak in the first 10 minutes of walking around.

I havent seen any around the house since then, its like they know people are around and stay away. Dam wiley ass birds.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 16, 2020, 09:39:12 PM »
@sys check out that winter wheat!

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 20, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »

That is an impressive kill list, what kind of dog is it? I'm guessing some 20-35lb terrier or maybe a weiner dog?
he's a mix of heeler and something else, sonuvagun got one more mouse yesterday. (I threw away the birdseed this time and swept)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 20, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Just an FYI:  always keep any dry dog/cat food, seeds of any kind in a sealed container.  Small lidded metal and/or locking lidded type plastic trash cans are a low cost way to keep from feeding rodents.  I did the same thing about 30 yrs ago and had mice crawling in the walls of our rental house and shoveled about 5 lbs of mouse droppings from our garage.  I thought my dog food was safe from rodents being it was in about a 3 ft tall plastic trash can.  I didn't know they can craw up a metal or plastic can, no matter how tall it is.  Also yla, keep an watch for more mice because they smell the scent from the previous mice.  If you got time and effort, it would do good to use scented bleach or concentrated Lysol and spray and mop out your garage.  That will get rid of the scent and visiting mice.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 20, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
good idea. I was thinking about going into the garage and peeing on everything but your idea is probably better

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 20, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »
 :ROFL:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 20, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 21, 2020, 09:46:56 AM »
I'm breaking quarantine to go buy some pheasants from a preserve down by Winona. Will keep them in cages for a couple of days and plant them around for Milo to find, planning to work on getting her pointing instead of flushing.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 19, 2020, 09:05:39 PM »
#1's buddy bagged a turkey this weekend at the farm.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 20, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »
Thats a good looking gobbler there Tom, if there were any turkeys out at the Cat Ranch I might attempt to hunt one.

In other news Milo climbed a cedar tree limb and snatched a bird nest that was about 5ft high. She crawl'd to the base of the tree then walked up a limb that started about a foot off the ground.

Milo's estimated kill count so far

Mice - Like 7 or 8
Baby Rabbits - 6
Blackbirds - 2 (they were probably already dead but she brought them back to the house)
Birds Nest - 1 (Eggs had not hatched yet).

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 20, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
Does she eat any of the animals, or just brings them home for you to admire.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 20, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Does she eat any of the animals, or just brings them home for you to admire.

Usually she bring them back to the yard and plays with them until their dead, just brought back a vole/gopher looking thing about 30 minutes go.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 20, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
Sounds like Milo is going to be a great little hunting dog, especially with your other dog helping her learn to hunt.  Just for your knowledge skunks are getting active and some may have rabies.  Be sure to keep your dogs shots up to date.   

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 20, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »
Tell milo to be careful, my dad had a second dog get bit by a rattle snake at the hobby farm (first dog on the cheek, this time on the nose).
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 29, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
No snakes have been seen on the cat ranch yet. Now that its pheasant boning season I've stopped working Milo in the CRP and started checking out WIHA around the cat ranch.

Saw a ton of pheasants by the road tonight.