Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 145027 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1450 on: January 14, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
killing ducks is some of the funnest animal killing, but they taste like absolute crap, so i had to stop.

I just ate my duck last night and thought it was good  :dunno:

Better than pheasant IMO

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 14, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
Wood ducks are good mallards are ok, the diving ducks are not edible.  Blasphemy on the pheasant part.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 14, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Wood ducks are good mallards are ok, the diving ducks are not edible.  Blasphemy on the pheasant part.

Give me some good pheasant recipes. So far I've cooked one in a slow cooker with bacon/cream of mushroom and roasted in the oven basting in Olive Oil every 20 minutes. The roasted one was better IMO.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 14, 2020, 11:29:16 AM »
I'm heading out to the cat ranch this weekend for one more chance to blast birds and this time I will have 2 trained bird dogs to hunt with on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how many birds I've aimlessly walked past when I hunted solo.

Milo and Lady will be coming along too but I don't plan to bring Milo out in the fields with the trained dogs as she will probably just get in the way. Might do a short hunt with her and the other dogs after we have killed some birds but I think she will spaz out being surrounded by 2 other dogs and 4 bro's.

Assuming she responds well to gunshots again I'm planning on taking her for her first solo hunt sometime on Sunday aka I'll just turn her loose in the CRP and let her run around while I follow her with a shotgun.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 18, 2020, 10:04:40 AM »
I'm about 68% sure I just spooked a mt lion while pheasant hunting in our CRP.....

It was too far away to be 100% sure but it was a large cat and brownish, took off running through CRP when I was about 150 yards away.

Watched it run across the pasture and over some other fields.

It was in some tall grass so it was hard to see exactly how big it was but it appeared larger than a bobcat.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 18, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »
juvenile african lion

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 18, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »
I mean, it was probably a bobcat but if it was a bobcat it was a very large bobcat. Definitely was a "woah dude" moment.

Got skunked on the cat ranch this morning but found a WIHA honey hole that's 3 miles away. Creeky/grassy draw surrounded by corn fields. Got 2 roosters and missed another. At the end of the draw about 10 birds flushed, had to track a rooster I hit so I couldn't get another.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:20:13 AM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Killing animals
« Reply #1457 on: January 18, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »
It was either a bobcat or a very large farm cat

Source: 15+ years of listening to farmers claim they saw a mountain lion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »
It was either a bobcat or a very large farm cat

Source: 15+ years of listening to farmers claim they saw a mountain lion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I texted my coyote hunting cousin after I saw it and he said it was probably a bobcat and then later in the day I saw him driving around trying to find it.

He pulled up to the house as I was outside and our conversation went like this.

Cousin: Wish I could find that bobcat, worth $60 bucks.

Ben ji: Yeah, it took off pretty far. I'm going to hunt the CRP for pheasant again real quick if you want to join.

Cousin: Nah, fur guy is in goodland this weekend. Going to see if I can get a coyote.

Ben ji: You going to call them in from your coyote blind?

Cousin: Nope, quick hunt. Gonna drive around some corn stubble and see if I can pin one down.

I didnt really know what he meant and then he just took off driving around in some corn stubble across the road that didn't belong to us. (I'm Assuming he has permission since he is a local)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:27:56 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 18, 2020, 08:27:11 PM »
And he got a couple!

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 25, 2020, 06:07:53 PM »
Perfect day for bird hunting today. Just got some work for Roo on some chukar.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 25, 2020, 06:35:26 PM »
Love that third picture, bird has to be like f my life.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:16 PM »

Are their wild populations of Chukar in KS or were you hunting a game preserve?

If there are wild populations where are they at?

I went duck hunting today with a buddy and it sucked, should of done one last day trip chasing pheasant around Salina.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 25, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »

I went duck hunting today with a buddy and it sucked, should of done one last day trip chasing pheasant around Salina.
They were on a controlled area. Buddy had some family in town and they wanted to hunt a bit. The chukar are good for dog work.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 26, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »

They were on a controlled area. Buddy had some family in town and they wanted to hunt a bit. The chukar are good for dog work.

Gotcha. I was hunting a large piece of WIHA out west last weekend and heard blast after blast a couple of miles away. I was getting super jelly that I hadn't seen any birds and picked the wrong part to hunt.

When I drove around to the other side of the WIHA I saw there was a controlled shooting area adjacent to it and a big group of people hunting it.

I'm assuming that whoever owns the CSA plants birds out there for you to hunt?

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 26, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
Correct. This was at Coakley Farms north of Topeka.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 28, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
@ben ji I hear you need help with killing those pesky pheasants. I've found that the best way to kill them is with an RPG. A lot of those birds carry diseases and if you under-cook them you will get sick and I really do not want to see you get sick. I just don't have the time to send flowers. A lot of people don't know this but a RPG is the most effective method of cooking pheasants. I'm only sharing this fact with you because Go Cats so consider this privileged information and best of luck on your hunt.
@lopakman

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 08, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »
According to my dad my cousin has racked up about 20 coyotes this winter  :surprised:

I might tag along with my cousin next winter after pheasant season is over and see what all this fuss is about.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 14, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
I'm going to take the $750 I won on the Chiefs winning the superbowl and put Milo through 1 month of bird dog training in a couple of months. Current leader in the clubhouse is Baier's Den Kennels in Peculiar www.bdarn.com/baier/ . With a website like that you know they are legit.

They also board dogs while you are on vacation for $20 a day (according to my buddies co-worker they will work them on birds a little for a couple extra bucks while boarding) so I'm going to try that next month and assuming I get a good vibe I'll send Milo off to learn to be a cold blooded killer.

I called them the other day and had a great conversation with the owner Wayne Baier which included such lines as "Been running behind since I had the flu last month and some idiot shot someone hunting quail" and "I gotta go since I have an interview for a podcast or something with these guys who shot a youtube hunting video a couple years ago, dont now what a podcast is but they said its like a radio show I think"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:18:14 PM by ben ji »

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 18, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: March 09, 2020, 01:18:07 PM »
I took Milo out to the farm this weekend for a final evaluation on whether or not to drop $800 for a month of training and have decided to hold off for now. I basically just let her run around in the CRP while I followed to see how she did.

She definitely has a nose for the birds and tracked/found 4 birds along with some random flushes while we were walking. Despite being a pointer she acted more like a flusher which I have read is normal when they are first exposed to birds, once they realize they can't catch them they start to point. Its a god dam beautiful thing to see a dog get birdy and follow a scent, Milo tracked 1 pheasant about 50-100 yards through the CRP just zig'n and zag'n. I was not sure what she was following but finally she went over a hill and right when I got to the top of the hill a pheasant busted up with Milo nipping at its feet. She also got nose to nose with a hen before it busted out of the grass.

I'll work her on some more birds this summer after the hatch then will see how this fall goes and re-evaluate training next spring.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 09, 2020, 01:19:32 PM »
Here she is looking back for approval. Good doggie

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 09, 2020, 10:50:37 PM »
That’s great Ben ji!
:adios:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 09, 2020, 11:35:46 PM »
milo is a really good dog, imo.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 10, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
I took Milo out to the farm this weekend for a final evaluation on whether or not to drop $800 for a month of training and have decided to hold off for now. I basically just let her run around in the CRP while I followed to see how she did.

She definitely has a nose for the birds and tracked/found 4 birds along with some random flushes while we were walking. Despite being a pointer she acted more like a flusher which I have read is normal when they are first exposed to birds, once they realize they can't catch them they start to point. Its a god dam beautiful thing to see a dog get birdy and follow a scent, Milo tracked 1 pheasant about 50-100 yards through the CRP just zig'n and zag'n. I was not sure what she was following but finally she went over a hill and right when I got to the top of the hill a pheasant busted up with Milo nipping at its feet. She also got nose to nose with a hen before it busted out of the grass.

I'll work her on some more birds this summer after the hatch then will see how this fall goes and re-evaluate training next spring.
Keeping her on birds is most of the battle. Instincts are there, the fire just needs to be stoked.  Spend time at home on control commands (here, stay, whoa, heel) and learning to fetch. Reward correct behavior with treats or just a scratch behind the ears.