Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 145020 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1325 on: October 06, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »
Seriously considering adopting some dog from a shelter that looks like it came from a hunting breed just so I can take it with me and hope it performs as well as the dogs I was with today.

my border collie always did fine on the birds.  your dog can figure it out.

Lady is extremely gun shy though, just holding a gun sends her cowering....I've taken her out in the field shooting a couple of time and she runs back to the car and curls up in a ball cowering.

Any tips on breaking her of this in the next month? Should I just walk around the house with a shotgun for the next month so she gets used to it?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 06, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
You should be always protecting your home, you never know when a liberal will decide it's your turn for a home invasion
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 06, 2019, 12:44:19 PM »
You should be always protecting your home, you never know when a liberal will decide it's your turn for a home invasion

Good call

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 06, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »
Seriously considering adopting some dog from a shelter that looks like it came from a hunting breed just so I can take it with me and hope it performs as well as the dogs I was with today.

my border collie always did fine on the birds.  your dog can figure it out.

Lady is extremely gun shy though, just holding a gun sends her cowering....I've taken her out in the field shooting a couple of time and she runs back to the car and curls up in a ball cowering.

Any tips on breaking her of this in the next month? Should I just walk around the house with a shotgun for the next month so she gets used to it?

Put foam ear pugs on her when shooting.  This may help with the fear.  Also, get some chickens and shoot one of them at a bird hunting distance.  Make sure Lady has ear protection and is next to you when you shoot the chicken.  Then give her a treat and take her with you to get the chicken.  Make sure she gets to smell the bird and give it to her went you get back to the house.  This will give her a positive experience.  Be sure to repeat this ordeal for about a week or until she starts to enjoy it.  Dogs love rewards and will get use to the loudness of the gun knowing what comes from it.  Remember this process takes time; so have patience.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 06, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »
Lady is extremely gun shy though.

oh, yeah, that will be tough.  katdaddy is right that you can probably turn it around and his method would probably work, but i dunno if it's worth the effort.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:55 PM »

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
  • Being a Viking fan has its own issues
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 07, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
Only if you have a thing for eating Brains, spinal columns and or spinal fluid soup with some fried bone marrow but if not then your ok.  :Lurk: also deadly to bovine ruminants not predatory meat eating entities. As insinuated in the twitter headline. 
Effort management sucks spell it out taserface!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
sotacat, I'd recommend that you not eat diseased animals. However, the deer population appears to be safe in Minnesota so you shouldn't worry.

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
sotacat, I'd recommend that you not eat diseased animals. However, the deer population appears to be safe in Minnesota so you shouldn't worry.

Thanks for the concern Buck I live in Kansas. Either you run from Sasquatch, or you run with Sasquatch. I choose the latter. Jerky especially venison jerky is good. I agree if I saw a droopy eared ruminant walking around like a good ge er on a late agiville cruise I would leave it contact the Kwdp and have it dispatched for coyote bait. Don’t let em scare ya though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 07, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »
Ur a droopy eared ruminant . . . Jk, sota

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: October 07, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
Ur a droopy eared ruminant . . . Jk, sota

Sometimes yes  :Woot:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:59 PM »
Only if you have a thing for eating Brains, spinal columns and or spinal fluid soup with some fried bone marrow but if not then your ok.  :Lurk: also deadly to bovine ruminants not predatory meat eating entities. As insinuated in the twitter headline.

I knew someone with mad cow disease; and that's no BULL.  :bs:

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:55 AM »

I knew someone with mad cow disease; and that's no BULL.  :bs: yes and a horrible disease it is a different prion than the cwd variety

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 08, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
Pretty difficult decision on who to believe between Katdaddy and 'sotacat. I think we might need a little more debate before I make up my mind

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 08, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »
This should give you a hint.  :bs:

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 08, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
I’m sorry for your friend Daddy

Humans can’t get mad cow disease, since it can only occur, by definition, in cattle. They can, however, develop a related infection—called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)—by eating contaminated meat. The most well-known outbreak of vCJD occurred in the United Kingdom in the 1980s and 1990s.

The cwd variety in deer has not been documented to be transferred via meat that’s why they advise to not be exposed to the spinal fluid, spinal column and or any brain and bone marrow. Not disagreeing with anyone here it’s not a joke but it’s not a valid reason to not enjoy the outdoors and partake in deer hunting if that’s your thing if not that s cool too!   :thumbs:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
sounds like sotacat is in the pockets of big buck hunter

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 09, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
Round 1 - draw
Round 2 - kdiddy with the tko

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 09, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
sounds like sotacat is in the pockets of big buck hunter

No hope it scares the hell out of every other hunter out there! More access for me!  :horrorsurprise:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
1 week update on breaking lady of her gun shyness. Been holding the shotgun around the house and putting it next to her bed and food bowl to get her used to it, she's will eventually come get a treat out of my hand when I'm holding it.

Might of had a breakthru tonight. Usually when I'm going to take her for a walk I'll say "Do you want to go for a walk?" and she will go nuts and get excited. I did that tonight while holding the shotgun (in my house) and she still went nuts and ignored that I was holding it.

Will make sure I'm holding it every time I ask her to go for a walk from here on out.

T - 26 Days until we find out how well the training has worked.

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:39 AM »
1 week update on breaking lady of her gun shyness. Been holding the shotgun around the house and putting it next to her bed and food bowl to get her used to it, she's will eventually come get a treat out of my hand when I'm holding it.

Might of had a breakthru tonight. Usually when I'm going to take her for a walk I'll say "Do you want to go for a walk?" and she will go nuts and get excited. I did that tonight while holding the shotgun (in my house) and she still went nuts and ignored that I was holding it.

Will make sure I'm holding it every time I ask her to go for a walk from here on out.

Lots of positive reinforcement BenJi if you have a pond you can also if she likes the water play fetch. While she is swimming fire the gun as well a lot of times they will not focus on that while swimming and doing what they love fetching!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:33 AM »
Going pheasant hunting in South Dakota this weekend!
:adios:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 15, 2019, 09:10:33 AM »

Best of luck, I hope you just slay some roosters. Boom Boom Pow

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 15, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »

Lots of positive reinforcement BenJi if you have a pond you can also if she likes the water play fetch. While she is swimming fire the gun as well a lot of times they will not focus on that while swimming and doing what they love fetching!

I dont have an area around where I live that I can go take her and blast off some boom booms in a field. I was thinking about maybe taking her to a gun range and sitting outside with her for a bit to get her used to the sounds, will make sure I have plenty of treats for her.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 23, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »

How many pheasants did you blast in SD?