Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 146233 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #725 on: September 28, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Ok so we left KC on Friday after work and drove all night.  :driving:  Got to town at about 5AM, picked up some water and last little goodies and drove to the trailhead.  It's not really much of a trailhead, like it's not marked or anything, but I had internet scouted it an thought we could access some prime ground from this spot.  Here's what it looked like from the truck:

And a topo map of the area:

Basically we had to get from point A to point B to start getting into animals, about 1 mile as the crow flies and 1500 feet of vertical gain until we drop off the edge.  The shades represent the steepness.  Basically no shade is walkable without trekking poles, yellow is poles and nervous moments, red gets to be like WTF are we doing, and purple is go cats obviously.

The first day we got to the top and before we dropped off we went to check on a spring which was basically a cattle tank full of cattle piss and crap.  Disappointment.  I had a filter but it's only good for bacteria (like giardia), but not viruses.  Too risky.  That meant we'd have to drop the 1500ft every other/third day to get to the creek to get water.  That evening we elected to camp up high and glass into the land below to confirm animals were there before we dropped off. 

About this time I really noticed something was wrong.  I had contracted hand-foot-mouth disease from my son and had a dozen blisters on the bottoms of each foot, a half dozen each hand, and some in my mouth, which basically made everything I did painful.  But, press on I must, so I did.

Anyway we saw animals for sure, a half dozen bulls, all 5x5's or larger, and a cow/calf combo.

<-- this is a video click it

The ground was too rocky to sink tent stakes so we just slept under the stars that night.  We actually spent the first three or four nights under the stars, made me wonder why I even bothered to bring a tent at all. 

The next morning we saw most of the same animals, which told me they were in the area as a part of habit (not transient), so it was worth it to drop in.  We only brought three days worth of food, and already through 1.5 days, I elected to go back to the truck and get 3 more days worth of food for both of us, stove fuel, TP, and another day's worth of water in case the creek in the bottom was no good, so then we could at least get out.  That was a 5 hour round trip.  I tried to take a short cut, which was probably shorter distance but more time.

I met back up with my partner about 3PM and we hiked along the ridgeline until we saw these rocks stacked:

This usually means something so we investigated, and found an old horse trail to the bottom, which meant we wouldn't have to slog through timber and brush (as much).

We get to the bench about 4PM, hike further down towards where we saw the elk, and for the heck of it we decide to try some cold calling.  I suck at calling turkeys and coyotes but we try it anyway without much expectation.  Twenty minutes in and my partner starts signalling an elk in coming in!  He's the shooter, I'm the caller.  Unfortunately the wind and sun meant he had to hide behind a bush, and the elk never gave him a clear shot.  It came in and looped around to wind me, and I saw his horns coming over the top of the oak brush.  I drew my bow and aligned my peep and pins and waited until I expected him to come into an opening for a clear shot.  He came, but stopped at the opening at 12 yards and just looked at me.  I had no shot at his lungs or heart (just neck and head), so I waited.  A few seconds go by and he lunges back, I call more, he hangs out just 20 yards away for a few minutes, and eventually walks away.  My partner never maneuvered to get a shot.  He was in the opening dead center of pic.

By this time it's 6PM or later and we start looking for a place to camp.  Then, a bugle!  I call, and two ridges down 300 yards away out walks a nice bull bugling his guts out.  I call more, and he drops into the bottom and back up, now just one ridge over, 150 yards away.  I call a few more times and see he's not interested in coming closer, so with the falling sun we decide to leave him be.

Camp that night.

The next morning we hear some bugles and chase them down the major drainage, but they stop once we are getting closer.  The wind was getting swirly so we decide to find water.  We spend an hour or so at the creek filtering about 20 liters of water which should get us through a couple days.  On the way back up we cold call some more, no luck (probably too hot).

At about 2PM we're resting in the shadows of some oak brush when we hear a faint bugle, so we move in that direction.  A few minutes later another, and then another.  I creep along and eventually glass the bull bedded 172 yards away.  We watch a while and he bugles every few minutes and I decide he is alone, which plays into our strategy.  A lone bull, you want to pretend to be a cow elk to get him horny to come to you.  A bull with cows, you want to sneak in close and then rip off a loud bugle pretending to be another bull elk there to steal his ladies, so he must defend their honor and come and fight.  So I start cow calling, he bugles, more cow calls, more bugles, but he's showing no interest in getting up.  Further down the way we heard another bugle, too.  So I start raking this tree, making all sorts of commotion, breaking branches, stomping around, huffing and puffing, the works.  He bugles back, the other bull down the way rakes, too, but still no real action.  Then, my partner starts signalling to me ELK ELK.  The other bull had come in silent and was now 20 yards from my partner staring right at him.  Then he's looking at me.  He eventually turns his head and walks behind a juniper tree, so I crouch down and grab my bow and range a bush, 43 yards away I guess, and I draw.  Out he steps broadside, but I can only see his head/neck and the top third of his body.  There is a bush obscuring his vitals at 20 yards.  So I wait, I'm prepared to hold that bow back as long as it takes.  He eventually winds my partner and buggers.  eff.

So we focus our attention back on the bedded bull, who eventually stands and begins to feed.  We realize he has as least two cows with him, so we try to get in close, but they aren't having that and they walk off.  eff crap.  That evening we glass a nice bull across the drainage running cows hard, but it's too late to make a play.  Oh I also found three toads further to the east, well over a mile away.  TOADS.  BIG.

The next morning not much action, and while we're cold calling some dude comes walking up the trail.  We talk a bit, he tells us there is a spring just 200 yards from our camp.   :excited: but also  :facepalm:  We agree to stay east of the major drainage and he'll stay west.  Not much more action that day, we visit the spring in the afternoon and get more water. 

That night my stomach started feeling bad, I'll spare you the details but I victimized my underwear and had to roll al fresco the next morning.  So we're up first light headed towards a bugle, and then we hear another one in the opposite direction but upwind so we change course.  Bugle, move, bugle, move.  The terrain has some curvature so even 100 yards away we couldn't see this bull, but I could hear him and his cows mew mew mew mew mew just fine.  I lost my mind and was a dumb ass and cow called to him, and he (I think) basically spooked and rounded up his 25 cows and moved off in a hurry, and he was rough ridin' HUGE.  Main frame 6x7 with great mass and he had some extra crap going on with his fronts, may have been an 8x9.  Just a beast of a bull.  I thought I knew where he was headed so we chased him.  Turns out he was headed to the next county.  We chased for two miles and could never catch up, glassed him and his string of cows moving off in the distance.  Heart break.  Despair.  Self-loathing.  Why the eff did I cow call?  I still don't know.  I lost my crap.

That evening pretty much same scenario, trying to make a play on that same original bull, but we switch directions and chase this other elk for about two miles.  He's bugling and moving away and we're running trying to catch him.  Just when we get close I come around a bend and see two cows and rip off a huge challenge bugle expecting the bull to come ready to fight.  Instead it's just a wimpy spike bull (not legal) and I let them go.  eff crap eff.

We get some rain, have to set up tents.

The next morning we try for that same original bull who is a pretty consistent bugler, but by the time we get there the wind is swirling and we decide to pause chase.  Lots of rubs all over.

We're almost out of food, and I offer to go back to the truck again and get more, but my partner thinks we ought to move on as the action isn't as good, so we pack up and leave.  It was a beautiful pack out with all the colors.

My pack at the saddle.  I really wanted to be hauling out meat, but I didn't have what it takes apparently.

We scout some new areas that night, no bugles, and a massive storm rolls through (we sleep in the truck, awful).  Next morning glass the local elk herd (100+ animals) on private ground.

Eat at the local greasy spoon, the waitress was impressed how much I put away (chicken friend steak, two eggs, hash browns, two pieces of toast with butter AND jam, two biscuits with butter and honey, and two pieces of pie--one apple one cherry).  Felt good to deuce on a regular toilet.

We decided to hunt an area we hunted in last year, still rainy.

Long story short, no recent elk sign.  Bear went through our camp, pooped.  We packed out, headed home.

I have another cool video I'll post once it's done uploading.  I know I know TLDR.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 28, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
I would have shot the first legal bull I could, there was just never an ethical opportunity.  The tag I had only has a statewide 12% success rate, and talking to people we had a lot more action than most.  Add to that we don't have the benefit of living there and keeping and eye on animals over the summer and getting to pounce on them opening day when they are stupid.

just choosing to try to kill a bull elk with an arrow is like 80% of making a huge production out of it in my mind.  choosing to do it 500 miles from where you live is another 10%.

Archery tags are easy to get.  If I could shoot elk with a rifle close to home I would.  I've chosen the option which gives me the highest chance of success as close to home as possible.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 28, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
Do I even have to say it?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 28, 2016, 04:22:38 PM »
You should throw an arrow through a bush next time.  May not be perfect, but may work fine.  I mean, if he is right on the bush, as long as you don't hit trunk or limb, you will still hit pretty close to your aim. 

Beats going home with nothing but poop in your pants.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 28, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
there are deer bigger than that at the drive through zoo west of my house and I have an annual pass and let the 3 year old sit in the front seat not in a child seat while we drive by them. highlight of the trip if his reaction when one poops.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 28, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
in fact, those deer look pud compared to my zoo deer

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 28, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »
I liked the story Emo, please post similar things in the future
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 28, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »
I also liked it

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 28, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »
Do I even have to say it?

I'm sorry I didn't post pictures of my food.  It was pretty disgusto and right up your alley.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 28, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
You should throw an arrow through a bush next time.  May not be perfect, but may work fine.  I mean, if he is right on the bush, as long as you don't hit trunk or limb, you will still hit pretty close to your aim. 

Unethical.  :nono:  Risk of wounding an animal is too high.  Wounding an animal is worse than going home with nothing (but poop in my pants).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 28, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
i hadn't realized you had a giant bull with 25 cows at 100 yards and you cow called like a dumbass.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 28, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
That's where the self-loathing comes in.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 28, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »
why wouldn't you bring good food to eat like steak?  it's still a vacation right?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 28, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
Steak is heavy.  You want to maximize your calories per ounce while still maintaining nutrition.  I aim for 2750 calories per day, 100 calories per ounce, and 120 grams of protein daily.  So like dehydrated chilli's and then trail mix, almonds, protein bars, protein shake, etc.  Also I'm too damn tired to make a fire each night.  We only had one fire the whole time.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 28, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »

Unethical.  :nono:  Risk of wounding an animal is too high.  Wounding an animal is worse than going home with nothing (but poop in my pants).

Hmmm....IDK.  I mean, he may run towards the truck for like an hour and die.  That would be pretty alright!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
what if you wounded it with the arrow, but luckily your friend has a rifle handy and immediately puts it out of it's misery?  that seems pretty ethical.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 28, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
I would still wait just a second and see if it would chose to run toward the truck.  Maybe shoot him once he no longer is running in the right direction.  :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
although is it really ethical to wound it first when you have the ability to put it out of its misery before it begins to suffer?  also harder to get an ethical kill on the run.  most ethically, once you draw, your buddy should preshoot the elk and you release when you hear the report.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 28, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
I also enjoyed that emo! looks beautiful

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 28, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
My favorite parts in order:

1, when you pooped your pants
2, chicken fried steak

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #745 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
Cool trip, Emo. Thanks for sharing.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 28, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing Emo!  Looked like a wonderful trip.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
That was awesome, bud! Love it!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
Emo, that was beautiful and I love your passion for finding the outdoors in a fun way. None of this blog would exist without the old way of roughing it like our ancestors. Gotta pay tribute!  :thumbs:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 28, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
That's the best post Emo has made and I enjoyed it a lot.