Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 144970 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1700 on: September 05, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »
how many different species do you have in that pile?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 06, 2022, 07:50:14 AM »
how many different species do you have in that pile?

Probably like all of them. The big ole Eurasian Collared Doves live out at the cat ranch 24/7.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 06, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »
Is there a dove stew? You should probably make it if so.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: October 24, 2022, 05:59:56 PM »
So proud of my tracking dog Milo. She got her first squirrel ever today in the backyard and then brought it into the garage to show me.

Scared the crap out of me when I walked out and saw it.

These are all of her unassisted kills

Squirrel?
Rabbit?
Chipmunk?
Mouse?
Possum?
Pheasant?

She can do it all!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 24, 2022, 06:08:39 PM »
Made some grilled bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers with dove breast in the middle with most then marinated the rest in teriyaki sauce and grilled them on a skewer.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: October 24, 2022, 06:26:45 PM »
Made some grilled bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers with dove breast in the middle with most then marinated the rest in teriyaki sauce and grilled them on a skewer.

How did they turn out?  It's been quite a few years since I cooked dove, but I remember them as not the tastiest bird I ever eat.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 25, 2022, 11:54:37 AM »

How did they turn out?  It's been quite a few years since I cooked dove, but I remember them as not the tastiest bird I ever eat.

I think its delicious, you can't really taste it in the jalapeno poppers but the breasts I cooked on the skewer were great.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 09, 2022, 04:45:52 PM »
@ben ji you cat ranchin’ this weekend chasing some ringnecks?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 09, 2022, 09:43:23 PM »

Absolutely, heading out Friday afternoon and off on Monday so I should get a solid 2.5 days of hunting in. Looks like the temps out at the cat ranch should be close to ideal with highs around 50.

Will be interesting to see where the birds are at (if there are any after the drought) since the last update from my dad was that the zero'd out Milo was still standing and hadn't been baled/grazed yet. Last opening weekend the highs got up into the 70's and I couldn't find a bird in the CRP to save my life, they were all in the fields still. When I came back later in the year and it was colder I could find them in the CRP again.

Our dryland Milo field was unharvested last year as well and I tried to hunt it a few times, nabbed a couple of birds but it was too large to effectively hunt with just 1 person and a dog. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 09, 2022, 09:45:10 PM »
Is @wetwillie / @XocolateThundarr or anyone else getting after some birds this weekend?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: November 09, 2022, 10:28:32 PM »
Is @wetwillie / @XocolateThundarr or anyone else getting after some birds this weekend?

Not going to this weekend.  I'm heading to Flint Oak Monday and Tuesday for some bird slayin'.  Focus for the next month or so will be on whackin' a couple of bucks.
@mikec2w

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 09, 2022, 10:43:51 PM »

Not going to this weekend.  I'm heading to Flint Oak Monday and Tuesday for some bird slayin'.  Focus for the next month or so will be on whackin' a couple of bucks.

I have never heard of this place but googled it and it looks amazing, like somewhere an elite K-State grad would go to blow off some steam.

Will you be doing a European shoot?

https://www.flintoak.com/european

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 10, 2022, 06:03:22 AM »

I’ll be out around Pratt/Great Bend area getting after them. Expectations are somewhat low since it’s been incredibly dry out there this year.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 10, 2022, 08:28:09 AM »

I have never heard of this place but googled it and it looks amazing, like somewhere an elite K-State grad would go to blow off some steam.

Will you be doing a European shoot?

https://www.flintoak.com/european

We have a European scheduled for the first day and then a field hunt the day after to clean up the birds that we miss in the European.
@mikec2w

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 14, 2022, 08:04:42 PM »

Absolutely, heading out Friday afternoon and off on Monday so I should get a solid 2.5 days of hunting in. Looks like the temps out at the cat ranch should be close to ideal with highs around 50.

Will be interesting to see where the birds are at (if there are any after the drought) since the last update from my dad was that the zero'd out Milo was still standing and hadn't been baled/grazed yet. Last opening weekend the highs got up into the 70's and I couldn't find a bird in the CRP to save my life, they were all in the fields still. When I came back later in the year and it was colder I could find them in the CRP again.

Our dryland Milo field was unharvested last year as well and I tried to hunt it a few times, nabbed a couple of birds but it was too large to effectively hunt with just 1 person and a dog. 

Need a field report.  Wild bird numbers in Barton county were surprisingly good. Saw about 25 pheasants and two coveys of quail in 5 miles of walking on Saturday.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 15, 2022, 10:04:45 AM »

Need a field report.  Wild bird numbers in Barton county were surprisingly good. Saw about 25 pheasants and two coveys of quail in 5 miles of walking on Saturday.
It was pretty dismal out in Thomas County. The main area I hunt is a couple thousand acres around the cat ranch including 4 CRP fields and some weedy draws that I can usually bag 1-2 birds a day in. In 2 full days I saw 1 male genitals and maybe 4 hens.

Sunday afternoon we went to a large WIHA of CRP about 15 miles from the cat ranch and finally saw some birds (5-10) but the majority flushed far out of range, I was just happy to see any birds at that point.

I fired my gun 1 time in 2.5 days of hiking.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 15, 2022, 10:05:39 AM »
Did snag this pic tho.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 15, 2022, 12:00:39 PM »
That’s a shame. Hopefully the rains return and that area gets a nice rebound for spring. 

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 17, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »
That’s a shame. Hopefully the rains return and that area gets a nice rebound for spring.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm going out thanksgiving weekend. Planning to hunt some ground around Russell area on the way out to the cat ranch. Will probably drive 1.5 hours east from the cat ranch one day to hunt some WIHA around wakeeny/plainville (according the the KDWPT there are some birds there) but will hit up some areas around the cat ranch in the morning/evening while out there.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:58 PM »
We shot about 200 pheasants, 100 quail, and 10 chukars on Tuesday.  Pretty good day for the group.  With my portion of the haul, we are in pretty good shape for the short term.
@mikec2w

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 02, 2023, 03:27:16 PM »
Worked on whitetail food plots today. Best friend from HS has a nice 10 acre spot just down the road from the Paradise club outside of Lawrence.  He has a small tractor and I purchased an ancient one disc plow for it. It worked great. We planted a giant clover patch, and will do a small plot of corn and beans in the coming weeks. Next door neighbor is planting a huge alfalfa field right next to the killing ground.

We will also have a large feeder on a timer and a mineral/salt lick.

My kid and my dad will be the deer murderers. My friend and I have no desire other than to be the enablers.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 02, 2023, 03:38:11 PM »
Gonna have yourself a nice turkey spot too me thinks

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU