Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148554 times)

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #800 on: December 06, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
Kansas City area is a hotbed for VB talent.  Suzie and staff, with a few exceptions are getting stomped recruiting that area.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 06, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Got a top 50 recruit from Louisurg. When will the facility be done? 2020?

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 10, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Not gonna lie, my GAF level about firing the lady vb coach is exactly zero GAF's.
Got a top 50 recruit from Louisurg. When will the facility be done? 2020?
She's the real deal and also has deep family ties to KState.  They are whiffing on far more than they are hitting.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 12, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »
Kansas City is by no means a volleyball hotbed, Jesus Christ. Kansas City has very good club and youth programs but they aren't producing any more division 1 talent than similar sized Midwestern cities.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 12, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
Kansas City is by no means a volleyball hotbed, Jesus Christ. Kansas City has very good club and youth programs but they aren't producing any more division 1 talent than similar sized Midwestern cities.
Wrong, the Heart of America only trails SoCal, Texas and Florida in strength.  Might wanna check out the All American teams posted earlier for several prominent players that came from the KC area.  The Final Four this weekend features 2 starters from Illinois, 2 starters from Nebraska & 2 starters from Stanford all from the Heart of America region.  Minnesota who was a favorite for the Final Four also has 2 starters from the KC area.  Jesus Christ, I think the area might be a little better than “good”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:33:08 AM by Dirty Deeds »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 13, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
Wrong, the Heart of America only trails SoCal, Texas and Florida in strength.  Might wanna check out the All American teams posted earlier for several prominent players that came from the KC area.  The Final Four this weekend features 2 starters from Illinois, 2 starters from Nebraska & 2 starters from Stanford all from the Heart of America region.  Minnesota who was a favorite for the Final Four also has 2 starters from the KC area.  Jesus Christ, I think the area might be a little better than “good”.

You said Kansas City, not Heart of America. HOA is, geographically, one of the largest regions in USAV. You didn't dispute anything about Kansas City having more or less D1 athletes than similarly sized metro areas.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »

You said Kansas City, not Heart of America. HOA is, geographically, one of the largest regions in USAV. You didn't dispute anything about Kansas City having more or less D1 athletes than similarly sized metro areas.
Geography? HOA has less than 1/3 of the membership as the other regions mentioned.  If you are familiar with Open level club VB than you'll know HOA had the National Champions at 16 last year and 18 the year before.  Power 5 coaches cram the courts of MAVS and KC POWER 15,17,17 year old teams at qualifiers. You're slipping with you're pointless have to argue shtick.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 14, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
Illinois has players from Topeka and Lenexa. Nebraska has one from Topeka and Stanford has 2 starters from OP.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
Illinois has players from Topeka and Lenexa. Nebraska has one from Topeka and Stanford has 2 starters from OP.
All of them except Nebraska's Jazz Sweet played for KC clubs.  Nebraska's Callie Schwartzenbach from Kearney MO played for a KC club also.  Volleyball has blown up in the last 7-8 years in KC.  I would hope that Suzie could start taking advantage.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 18, 2018, 03:24:12 AM »

Geography? HOA has less than 1/3 of the membership as the other regions mentioned.  If you are familiar with Open level club VB than you'll know HOA had the National Champions at 16 last year and 18 the year before.  Power 5 coaches cram the courts of MAVS and KC POWER 15,17,17 year old teams at qualifiers. You're slipping with you're pointless have to argue shtick.

I literally said "Kansas City has very good club and youth programs." I also never said that KC or HOA doesn't produce D1 athletes. I took exception to your posturing that Kansas City has more talent than any like sized cities. You haven't proven your point, you just keep reiterating that HOA have good club programs, a point I wholeheartedly agree with.

I'll also take exception to "volleyball has blown up in the last 7-8 years in KC." It seems like you've been paying attention for only "the last 7-8 years." I started coaching clubs in HOA 18 years ago and the region was producing about a dozen D1 players a year and winning club national championships back then. The only real change is the Big 10 getting better and coming into the region for talent.

Your 1/3 membership claim is dubious when it comes to the neighboring regions. Compared to some of the southern and west coast regions, Rocky Mountain, North Texas, Lone Star, Keystone, sure; but to Iowa, Nebraska, St. Louis, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Stop it.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: December 18, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »

I literally said "Kansas City has very good club and youth programs." I also never said that KC or HOA doesn't produce D1 athletes. I took exception to your posturing that Kansas City has more talent than any like sized cities. You haven't proven your point, you just keep reiterating that HOA have good club programs, a point I wholeheartedly agree with.

I'll also take exception to "volleyball has blown up in the last 7-8 years in KC." It seems like you've been paying attention for only "the last 7-8 years." I started coaching clubs in HOA 18 years ago and the region was producing about a dozen D1 players a year and winning club national championships back then. The only real change is the Big 10 getting better and coming into the region for talent.

Your 1/3 membership claim is dubious when it comes to the neighboring regions. Compared to some of the southern and west coast regions, Rocky Mountain, North Texas, Lone Star, Keystone, sure; but to Iowa, Nebraska, St. Louis, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Stop it.
So a good example would be to compare say the Iowa region with HOA?  Basically equal membership.  And what national titles are you talking about 18 years ago, the lower level region bid awarded? The 12-13 yr old age groups?  FYI, in 2018 HOA had 12 teams qualify Open, 10 of them from KC Clubs.  Iowa had 2.  Apparently the KC area indeed is producing talent at a  higher clip than you believed. Didn't this start with your claim that KC was painfully just average in spitting out D1 players?  Your clownsuit is perfectly tailored but I will continue to make all the unnecessary alterations that you request.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 18, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
bottom line is we should be recruiting better and our program should be winning more.
suzie needs to go

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 18, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »

So a good example would be to compare say the Iowa region with HOA?  Basically equal membership.  And what national titles are you talking about 18 years ago, the lower level region bid awarded? The 12-13 yr old age groups?  FYI, in 2018 HOA had 12 teams qualify Open, 10 of them from KC Clubs.  Iowa had 2.  Apparently the KC area indeed is producing talent at a  higher clip than you believed. Didn't this start with your claim that KC was painfully just average in spitting out D1 players?  Your clownsuit is perfectly tailored but I will continue to make all the unnecessary alterations that you request.

Nah, you apparently can't read. We can just leave the conversation here. Kansas City metro has more volleyball players than the entire state of Iowa, HOA also has Topeka, Wichita, COMO, etc. You seem to be focused on me instead of proving your claim that Kansas City is some new volleyball hotbed that Suzie isn't taking advantage of. Never mind the fact that she has more former HOA players than any other D1 school.

If you just stated your opinion that you think Suzie isn't doing her job or that she needs to go, like pissclams did, I wouldn't have even replied, I mean what am I going to say? But you tried to make a point using a dubious "fact," and you won't prove it or let it go.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
i mean, i have no idea if we can hire someone better, but that should not be a reason to keep her around

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 18, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
Kansas City area is a hotbed for VB talent.  Suzie and staff, with a few exceptions are getting stomped recruiting that area.
What is dubious about this statement MIR?  It is indeed a hotbed for talent & by in large they are not ending up in Manhattan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 18, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
i mean, i have no idea if we can hire someone better, but that should not be a reason to keep her around

It absolutely should be. I mean I'd buy that argument if she wasn't successful but she averages a tournament appearance every other year, she's a wildly successful P5 volleyball coach. Could we strike gold with finding the next Kevin Hambly, maybe, but that's a huge risk when I'm not sure it's needed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 18, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »
What is dubious about this statement MIR?  It is indeed a hotbed for talent & by in large they are not ending up in Manhattan.

I've said a thousand times that I take exception to "hotbed" particularly in how you're framing it. But moving past that, I'll give you "hotbed." I'm going to scream this because you clearly missed it when I spoke normally to you the first time. SUZIE SIGNS MORE KANSAS CITY/HOA GIRLS THAN ANY OTHER PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY. This includes KU, UMKC, Missouri, Missouri State, and Nebraska. The fact that she got beat by Nebraska, Stanford, and BYU for the best KC kids isn't ground breaking. Those are all traditional powers that spend at least twice as much on volleyball than we do.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 18, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »

It absolutely should be. I mean I'd buy that argument if she wasn't successful but she averages a tournament appearance every other year, she's a wildly successful P5 volleyball coach. Could we strike gold with finding the next Kevin Hambly, maybe, but that's a huge risk when I'm not sure it's needed.

look i get it that you're going to defend her until the end but i disagree that she's been wildly successful.
she hasn't placed better than 4th in the b12 in the past decade and hasn't gotten past the 2nd round in the ncaa tournament since 2011.

maybe you and i just have a different definition of what success means, but her record isn't it to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 18, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »

look i get it that you're going to defend her until the end but i disagree that she's been wildly successful.
she hasn't placed better than 4th in the b12 in the past decade and hasn't gotten past the 2nd round in the ncaa tournament since 2011.

maybe you and i just have a different definition of what success means, but her record isn't it to me.

I'm not going to defend her to the death. I want Dawn Sullivan here but the fact of the matter is that if you're an athletic director it's very tough to fire a coach of an Olympic sport who's in the post season every other season, keeps her nose clean, and usually has the best APR in all conference teams across all sports.

I usually stay out of these conversations about Suzie because people won't acknowledge the measurements for success for non revenue sports are different. I know you aren't trolling like these Suzie discussions usually resort to.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 18, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »

I'm not going to defend her to the death. I want Dawn Sullivan here but the fact of the matter is that if you're an athletic director it's very tough to fire a coach of an Olympic sport who's in the post season every other season, keeps her nose clean, and usually has the best APR in all conference teams across all sports.

I usually stay out of these conversations about Suzie because people won't acknowledge the measurements for success for non revenue sports are different. I know you aren't trolling like these Suzie discussions usually resort to.
Should have never let Bird fly away from Lawrence to College Station.  Suzie's roster is full of HOA kids but not high impact ones.  Hope that changes with Anna Dixon who's enrolling in January.  There are plenty of studs from HOA that didn't end up at the "traditional" powers.  I'll start with the setters from Kentucky & Loyola Marymount.  Suzie had always run a slower offense with big physical outsides.  She recruited Sandbothe as an athletic smaller MB and Zumach really slimmed down so maybe she's starting to move towards a quicker more athletic group.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 18, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »

Should have never let Bird fly away from Lawrence to College Station.  Suzie's roster is full of HOA kids but not high impact ones.  Hope that changes with Anna Dixon who's enrolling in January.  There are plenty of studs from HOA that didn't end up at the "traditional" powers.  I'll start with the setters from Kentucky & Loyola Marymount.  Suzie had always run a slower offense with big physical outsides.  She recruited Sandbothe as an athletic smaller MB and Zumach really slimmed down so maybe she's starting to move towards a quicker more athletic group.

I agree with all of that. I love Kylee, one of my favorite cats OAT, she's still what I'd consider, lumbering.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 18, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »

I agree with all of that. I love Kylee, one of my favorite cats OAT, she's still what I'd consider, lumbering.
Wish we could have pulled Kylee’s little sister.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 18, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »
Kari? Is she any good, I haven't seen her play. I only saw Creighton play Nebraska and she didn't play. Red shirt?

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
Kari? Is she any good, I haven't seen her play. I only saw Creighton play Nebraska and she didn't play. Red shirt?
Played great for a frosh.  Not trying to bring up recruiting again but it seems Booth is a bigger threat to KState than Bechard.  Snuck in & stole Kendra Wait from the Hawks & A&M. She will be in the convo in a couple of years for National HS Player of the Year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
Played great for a frosh.  Not trying to bring up recruiting again but it seems Booth is a bigger threat to KState than Bechard.  Snuck in & stole Kendra Wait from the Hawks & A&M. She will be in the convo in a couple of years for National HS Player of the Year.

So, do you think it's an evaluation issue or is she missing on primary targets? I'm not as connected to HOA as I was when I lived there so I don't know who she is targeting.