Author Topic: NYC  (Read 42586 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: NYC
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
I get what you're saying, but IMO "does the leading mayoral candidate live in the city?" seems like a valid question! And his initial response was just so bizarre!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »
Thats creepy

Yeah, wtf.
The context was he was living in New Jersey while running for mayor. Also a mayor driving on the sidewalk to get around a traffic jam he created is pretty funny.

From a reporting perspective, it was pointless.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 05, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
it’s very similar to the barstool controversy
too many unanswered questions for this unbiased observer
just give us the answers we crave

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »
I get what you're saying, but IMO "does the leading mayoral candidate live in the city?" seems like a valid question! And his initial response was just so bizarre!
Seemed more like a creepy witch hunt

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2021, 09:48:13 AM »
One surprising thing is how much people hate hate hate the outdoor dining.

https://twitter.com/DeborahJGlick/status/1457687907276365825

https://twitter.com/Stuart39906233/status/1458249501580345344

And yeah some of them can be bad for rats but LMAO at noise from a restaurant in NYC

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
how bad are rats/bed bugs/roaches?  like just now a regular part of life?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
We had an Airbnb where the roaches were terrible. I saw a mouse once but no rats.

At our permanent place I saw a roach but I think it came with food from our Airbnb and no rodents. We're a couple floors up and the owner lives downstairs so I imagine they would deal with rodents before they made it to us.

On the street, you see rats all the time. They seem to thrive on subway tracks. You can hear them a lot around trash cans too. And yeah some of those plywood floor outdoor dining sheds are basically giant rat nests. There's  outdoor dining across the street from me but it doesn't have a floor so doesn't make the rat problem any worse.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »
We had an Airbnb where the roaches were terrible. I saw a mouse once but no rats.

At our permanent place I saw a roach but I think it came with food from our Airbnb and no rodents. We're a couple floors up and the owner lives downstairs so I imagine they would deal with rodents before they made it to us.

On the street, you see rats all the time. They seem to thrive on subway tracks. You can hear them a lot around trash cans too. And yeah some of those plywood floor outdoor dining sheds are basically giant rat nests. There's  outdoor dining across the street from me but it doesn't have a floor so doesn't make the rat problem any worse.
Reminds me of some article I read at the start of the pandemic about some group of people that get together with their terriers and other dogs to go "Ratting" in NYC.

Apparently when everything shut down it threw off the rats normal food sources/the streets were empty so it was primo rat tossing conditions.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »
I remember seeing tons of rats on the tracks in the subways when I was there, though in sporadic times/areas. Like not every time I went did I see rats, and not every place has them, but it was more than enough in some stations and times to be very noticeable
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
I have become so infrequent on this blog with many long hiatuses that I was unaware of Rusty's move to NYC. Congrats dude!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »
I have become so infrequent on this blog with many long hiatuses that I was unaware of Rusty's move to NYC. Congrats dude!
Thanks, friend. It's fun!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2021, 05:32:51 PM »
NYC questions for kRusty

1. What is something that surprised you upon moving there?

2. What is something you hope your family experiences that you couldn't get other places?

3. Any favorite pieces of architecture or buildings in your neighborhood so far?

4. Have you seen any randos wearing K-State gear?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2021, 05:37:25 PM »
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2021, 06:36:56 PM »
great questions!

The "ordinary night out" restaurant food is usually worse. I might be picky, but I feel like something getting 4 stars on yelp in NYC would get like 3.5 or 3 in the bay area. Pizza is an exception. It might also take some time to find the right spots.

Also the NYC Marathon was Sunday and it was so much fun. The route went two blocks from my apartment and a local DJamer (who threw massive block parties during the pandemic) set up shop and there was a crowd of folks partying and cheering on the runners. Lots of them put their names on their shirts so you can cheer them on by name and you would yell out someone's name and they would hear you and smile and it made me really happy. But like the whole route people are out all day cheering on folks. I'm sure this happens in a lot of places but NYC'ers think it's pretty unique and friends of mine all over the city were saying it's their favorite NYC day.

2. What is something you hope your family experiences that you couldn't get other places?

well for starters my kids are getting into better high schools than we could ever get in California. We took advantage of NYC's ridiculously imbalanced system and one of them tested into arguably the best public school in the country and the other is in one that isn't the best in the country but is still better than the experience they had in California. They take the subway to school, go to like shitty pizza joints after school with their friends, and meet kids from all over the city. My wife has been going to a bunch of museums while her nursing license transfers. We go to lots of $10 comedy shows which are available every night. I got to see Joe Pera which was a special highlight, and he has a weekly show!

3. Any favorite pieces of architecture or buildings in your neighborhood so far?

mostly because of the name: https://www.scoutingny.com/where-old-ladies-hookers-and-the-wealthy-live/

I also have a favorite cocktail bar, pub, and craft beer bar within a five minute walk (like 1 long block).

No but I did see a KU hat/KU shirt rando yesterday. Like full KU garb in Midtown on a Tuesday. But have seen non-randos at KSU alumni watch parties! there was a pretty decent crowd for KU! People should come by if they're ever in NYC! I also got a sweet KSU starter jacket at a Brooklyn thrift store which was pretty cool.

Probably still here! So far it's been great. Hardest part is no close friends yet. Haven't had a winter yet either.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2021, 06:41:55 PM »
great questions!

The "ordinary night out" restaurant food is usually worse. I might be picky, but I feel like something getting 4 stars on yelp in NYC would get like 3.5 or 3 in the bay area. Pizza is an exception. It might also take some time to find the right spots.

Also the NYC Marathon was Sunday and it was so much fun. The route went two blocks from my apartment and a local DJamer (who threw massive block parties during the pandemic) set up shop and there was a crowd of folks partying and cheering on the runners. Lots of them put their names on their shirts so you can cheer them on by name and you would yell out someone's name and they would hear you and smile and it made me really happy. But like the whole route people are out all day cheering on folks. I'm sure this happens in a lot of places but NYC'ers think it's pretty unique and friends of mine all over the city were saying it's their favorite NYC day.

well for starters my kids are getting into better high schools than we could ever get in California. We took advantage of NYC's ridiculously imbalanced system and one of them tested into arguably the best public school in the country and the other is in one that isn't the best in the country but is still better than the experience they had in California. They take the subway to school, go to like shitty pizza joints after school with their friends, and meet kids from all over the city. My wife has been going to a bunch of museums while her nursing license transfers. We go to lots of $10 comedy shows which are available every night. I got to see Joe Pera which was a special highlight, and he has a weekly show!

mostly because of the name: https://www.scoutingny.com/where-old-ladies-hookers-and-the-wealthy-live/

I also have a favorite cocktail bar, pub, and craft beer bar within a five minute walk (like 1 long block).

No but I did see a KU hat/KU shirt rando yesterday. Like full KU garb in Midtown on a Tuesday. But have seen non-randos at KSU alumni watch parties! there was a pretty decent crowd for KU! People should come by if they're ever in NYC! I also got a sweet KSU starter jacket at a Brooklyn thrift store which was pretty cool.

Probably still here! So far it's been great. Hardest part is no close friends yet. Haven't had a winter yet either.

Yes, that's because the Jayhawks have a strong national brand and following. I too have encountered a flock of Jayhawk fans in midtown Manhattan on a random winter night. It warmed my cockles to hear the chant rise in MSG last night. big 10 bound BABY!!!!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:04:26 PM by Spracne »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
oh I forgot they played last night LOL but it was like 11am when I saw him

also definitely saw a KU guy on vacation once too getting ready for a 9/11 tour or something

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2021, 05:47:37 AM »
Oh the other thing that really surprised me is they don't sell wine or liquor at the grocery store. LIKE WHAT THE eff

It's worse here than about anywhere because i never drive to get groceries so if like you want to get a few ingredients and a bottle of wine for dinner you have to bring your groceries to the liquor store AND remember to go to the shittier grocery store because the nice grocery store doesn't have a liquor store close by

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2021, 08:47:12 AM »

Didn't you just assume it would happen?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2021, 08:47:42 AM »
what are the nice / shitty grocery stores you go to?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
Based on what I've seen online, New Yorker's love their bodegas.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2021, 08:55:34 AM »
what are the nice / shitty grocery stores you go to?

the nice one is Food Emporium and the shitty one is Key Foods. Neither one is all that great but Food Emporium is cleaner and has a seafood counter. Also neither has a butcher! I might need to venture out a little further to find one with a butcher. There is a super high-end butcher that's like a 15-20 minute walk away but not great for everyday stuff and I don't really care for pre-packaged meat.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »
Based on what I've seen online, New Yorker's love their bodegas.

I've seen this phenomenon online too but really only go into them for a gatorade or something. Lots of them in Brooklyn have "organic" in their name and have a juice bar now, which is funny.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »

Didn't you just assume it would happen?

Obviously

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »
I have also been to NYC for marathon weekend and I can confirm that it is a great time!  Like, the whole city (seems like) gets super jacked up to watch it.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
great questions!

Used to go for work every once in a while and with Mrs SF on vacation before kids. The cheap comedy clubs are so much fun. For a few bucks you sit, laugh, and hang out for an evening. So much fun. I go to the Comedy Cellar every time i'm there. They make you buy a drink or two so it is more than the smaller clubs, but its still a cheap night out and they always have great acts there. One time I was wearing my Cats hat at a bar in the Flatiron district and these dudes started talking to me. They all worked for the bowl game that is played there and told me how awesome all of the KSU people were when the Cats went there. They loved them some LHC Bill Snyder. Go Cats