Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: NYC
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »
Glad to hear your kids got into the good schools but I still can't wrap my Midwestern mind around high school kids taking the subway to school and back, just seems so bizzaro. How long is their "Commute" each morning?

Assuming they didn't test into the super smart kid schools because their dad is emaw what is the local high school they would of gone to like? Would it be walking distance or do they actual yellow school buses that pick up kids?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 11, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Glad to hear your kids got into the good schools but I still can't wrap my Midwestern mind around high school kids taking the subway to school and back, just seems so bizzaro. How long is their "Commute" each morning?

Assuming they didn't test into the super smart kid schools because their dad is emaw what is the local high school they would of gone to like? Would it be walking distance or do they actual yellow school buses that pick up kids?

My oldest takes public transportation home from middle school and we live in Ames

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 11, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
How does outdoor dining makes rats worse? The restaurant is producing the same amount of food and the trash gets disposed of the same way.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #328 on: November 11, 2021, 06:51:17 PM »
Dropped food

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 11, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

My oldest takes public transportation home from middle school and we live in Ames

Like the actual municipal bus line? Do they not have school buses?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 11, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »

I don't know about MIR's situation, but most city school districts have a minimum radial distance from the school before they will provide bus service.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 11, 2021, 08:38:21 PM »
Dropped food

Happens indoors too, the rats are already there, it's an island.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 11, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »

I don't know about MIR's situation, but most city school districts have a minimum radial distance from the school before they will provide bus service.

Exactly right pappy. In Ames it cost $200 a semester for the bus if you live less than 2 miles from the school. We live 1.8 miles away and she is in extra curriculars so the school bus isn't much of an option for us.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
How does outdoor dining makes rats worse? The restaurant is producing the same amount of food and the trash gets disposed of the same way.

It's not outdoor dining in general but specifically the sheds that got constructed on the streets. They look like they make for pretty good shelter for rats. Whether they actually make the rat problem worse I'm not sure, but it's definitely a narrative:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/nyregion/outdoor-dining-nyc.html

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »

It's a little less than 30 minutes each, and they go in opposite directions. Schools give every student a free metro card that they can use only during the week for certain hours, and some kids way out in Queens even take the LIRR. One daughter meets friends from up the line on the same train car every day, god help the poor souls dealing with the noise and smell from those kids. For reference, their school in California would have been a 20-25 minute walk.

it's a total crapshoot. there actually aren't that many zoned high schools - for example in Manhattan there are no zoned high schools. Students rank their 12 favorite schools and get assigned by grades or lottery or other factors I don't fully understand. And there's also the test-in schools, which are another animal. What we did was get an Airbnb in a part of  Brooklyn with a decent zoned school to guarantee that and try for better ones. Without a zoned school the city enrollment offices looks at spots available and kind of assigns you one. One kid had a couple of choices before the test, the other only had the zoned school.

If we'd been in that zoned school, it was about a 30 minute walk from the Airbnb, but we probably would have permanently moved to another neighborhood. AFAIK public schools don't have any buses, kids just all commute on the city bus or subway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 12, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »
yeah, with the NYC public trans system school buses seem like they'd just gum up the works

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 12, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
yeah, with the NYC public trans system school buses seem like they'd just gum up the works

the hasidic jews have school buses and just this week I saw a neighborhood facebook post complaining about them blocking traffic!

It started very bad

Good…i hope all these jewish developers/real estate tycoons lose money They’ve done nothing but hurt our community

Quote from: reply guy
...and block up Myrtle ave in the morning cuz they can’t drive school buses

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 12, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »
I will add the hasidic jewish neighborhoods are kind of a wild surprise...it isn't that different from other immigrant enclaves except they all are wearing the same outfit but it's still something to see. They got in troubs during the pandemic because they kept having school at the height of the pandemic.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »
I will add the hasidic jewish neighborhoods are kind of a wild surprise...it isn't that different from other immigrant enclaves except they all are wearing the same outfit but it's still something to see. They got in troubs during the pandemic because they kept having school at the height of the pandemic.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy being shown around whatever the large one is (like 100k person neighborhood). Pretty interesting. The huts everywhere is weird in that I didn't notice them until it was pointed out but after that you see them everywhere.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 12, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Also the guy showing him around was wearing a $5,000 hat!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2021, 09:43:24 AM »
Also the guy showing him around was wearing a $5,000 hat!
Link please

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 12, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »
This is the channel. The Amish ones are pretty interesting as well.

https://youtube.com/c/PeterSantenello

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
This is the channel. The Amish ones are pretty interesting as well.

https://youtube.com/c/PeterSantenello
Ha the same guy showed another YouTuber around the neighborhood

https://youtu.be/NQfPWlnhFlA

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »
Thats creepy

Yeah, wtf.
The context was he was living in New Jersey while running for mayor. Also a mayor driving on the sidewalk to get around a traffic jam he created is pretty funny.

I know the context, he wasn't/isn't mayor yet. If I lived NYC I definitely wouldn't have voted for Eric Adams in the primary but the unprecedented amount of scrutiny he's received is very uncomfortable for me and I question the motive. The first comment on that story summarized my thoughts of the, what's largely the NYC blogsphere, scrutinizing the dude like he's a sex offender.

Have you lived outside of gentrified Brooklyn for longer than the 10 minutes your Uber drove through Queens after your flight back home from Ohio for Christmas break?

I think the media obsession with him going to bars after winning the election is way more disturbing and weird

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1460796115389980676

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
I was in NYC for work with a guy who lived there one time and he said we had to walk around some Hasidic street or neighborhood because they didn’t like people walking through there or something. Thought maybe he was just some bigot but maybe he was being irl?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »
I was in NYC for work with a guy who lived there one time and he said we had to walk around some Hasidic street or neighborhood because they didn’t like people walking through there or something. Thought maybe he was just some bigot but maybe he was being irl?

We went on a long walk through a Hasidic neighborhood Sunday evening and it was fine. Granted we were the only gentiles for a few blocks but everyone just minded their business like we were. All the dudes are constantly talking on flip phones and it was starting to sprinkle and a bunch of them had plastic covering their hats.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
Thats creepy

Yeah, wtf.
The context was he was living in New Jersey while running for mayor. Also a mayor driving on the sidewalk to get around a traffic jam he created is pretty funny.

I know the context, he wasn't/isn't mayor yet. If I lived NYC I definitely wouldn't have voted for Eric Adams in the primary but the unprecedented amount of scrutiny he's received is very uncomfortable for me and I question the motive. The first comment on that story summarized my thoughts of the, what's largely the NYC blogsphere, scrutinizing the dude like he's a sex offender.

Have you lived outside of gentrified Brooklyn for longer than the 10 minutes your Uber drove through Queens after your flight back home from Ohio for Christmas break?

I think the media obsession with him going to bars after winning the election is way more disturbing and weird

I think his vacation to Monaco is way more interesting/weird.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/09/23/adams-spent-vacation-in-monaco-1391382

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
Taking my wife and daughter to NYC for spring break. I'll report back on the roach & rat problem.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2021, 01:38:46 PM »
Thats creepy

Yeah, wtf.

I think his vacation to Monaco is way more interesting/weird.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/09/23/adams-spent-vacation-in-monaco-1391382

why?

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »
Who beside James Bond villains vacations in Monaco?  What on earth?