Author Topic: NYC  (Read 40907 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: NYC
« Reply #250 on: September 15, 2021, 10:17:42 PM »
ngl pretty jelly you're in NYC now. Part of me still wishes I took the transfer job to move there for the delat terminal update at la guardia, but also part of me is glad I didn't. I could probably hack it in the city for 2-3 years and that's about it. But it would be a great 2-3 years.

You don't know if you can hack it until you try! I was lucky to have a company that pays an appropriate NYC wage and paid for all the moving expenses.

BTW I flew into LaGuardia on United a couple times recently and was blown away at that terminal compared to like seven or eight years ago. Felt like a real life modern airport instead of a dank crowded cave. Still took like an hour to get a cab, but it was very clean and spacious!

It really was a horrid airport, current KCI would be an improvement.

Yes and no with hacking it. I loved, absolutely loved the several days I spent there (by myself!) going to a Mets-Royals game (in 2016, so they were still a lil salty about 2015), went to see Book of Mormon (and really should've shelled out for Hamilton, the week before I went Lin Manuel announced he was done as part of the cast, so it was like the last few weeks of the original cast, and it went from like $600 to $2000, oh well), visited the Met, spent time at great restaurants, went to the Colbert Report (Bernie Sanders was a surprise guest!), ate dinner at the bar that was used as inspiration for HIMYM (without realizing it until I ducked in, I was just walking back from Central Park), and spend one very insane night barhopping. And I really enjoyed taking the subway, insane people watching, but also relatively convenient. Crazy whirlwind. There's a reason I love NYC out of many cities, but to me it kicks Chicago's, LA's, SF's, and many other's asses, I'm not going to mention the dumpster fires that are DFW and Houston the same league.

That being said, while it's a super energizing city, never ending and always something to do, but I could see well, the sort of compromises being there ends up being. It's obviously crowded, loud, and forever blanketed with a sea of humanity. It's both it's greatest asset and greatest weakness. In the end I know me, and I'd love a ton of it, but I'd also pine, absolutely pine, to GTFO after a while and be done with the madhouse. I can't imagine for example being there during the crazy days of COVID, it would've broken me. I see NYC as a ride and eventually I'd like to get off of thank you very much.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 15, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »
ngl pretty jelly you're in NYC now. Part of me still wishes I took the transfer job to move there for the delat terminal update at la guardia, but also part of me is glad I didn't. I could probably hack it in the city for 2-3 years and that's about it. But it would be a great 2-3 years.

You don't know if you can hack it until you try! I was lucky to have a company that pays an appropriate NYC wage and paid for all the moving expenses.

BTW I flew into LaGuardia on United a couple times recently and was blown away at that terminal compared to like seven or eight years ago. Felt like a real life modern airport instead of a dank crowded cave. Still took like an hour to get a cab, but it was very clean and spacious!

It really was a horrid airport, current KCI would be an improvement.

Yes and no with hacking it. I loved, absolutely loved the several days I spent there (by myself!) going to a Mets-Royals game (in 2016, so they were still a lil salty about 2015), went to see Book of Mormon (and really should've shelled out for Hamilton, the week before I went Lin Manuel announced he was done as part of the cast, so it was like the last few weeks of the original cast, and it went from like $600 to $2000, oh well), visited the Met, spent time at great restaurants, went to the Colbert Report (Bernie Sanders was a surprise guest!), ate dinner at the bar that was used as inspiration for HIMYM (without realizing it until I ducked in, I was just walking back from Central Park), and spend one very insane night barhopping. And I really enjoyed taking the subway, insane people watching, but also relatively convenient. Crazy whirlwind. There's a reason I love NYC out of many cities, but to me it kicks Chicago's, LA's, SF's, and many other's asses, I'm not going to mention the dumpster fires that are DFW and Houston the same league.

That being said, while it's a super energizing city, never ending and always something to do, but I could see well, the sort of compromises being there ends up being. It's obviously crowded, loud, and forever blanketed with a sea of humanity. It's both it's greatest asset and greatest weakness. In the end I know me, and I'd love a ton of it, but I'd also pine, absolutely pine, to GTFO after a while and be done with the madhouse. I can't imagine for example being there during the crazy days of COVID, it would've broken me. I see NYC as a ride and eventually I'd like to get off of thank you very much.

Ol' Rusty's pulling a reverse Baz Luhrmann: Live in New York City once but leave before it makes you hard,
Live in northern California once but leave before it makes you soft

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 15, 2021, 10:58:00 PM »
LOL, had similar thoughts when I visited especially "I see NYC as a ride and eventually I would want to get off"

You were dead on regarding the subways as well, like I love the mass transit to anywhere you want but holy eff I saw more weird ass crap in 5 days of riding the NYC subways than I have seen in my entire hayseed life in KC.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2021, 05:56:12 AM »

Yeah we definitely paid more than we originally intended for an apartment because we wanted somewhat of a "sanctuary" that could weather another potential lockdown (which I'm doubtful will happen, but whatever). We actually had to match a bid above the asking rent! Because New York is back, baby.

I also don't know that I could live in Manhattan, but man Brooklyn residential neighborhoods like Park Slope and Fort Greene just seem like really pleasant places to live with plenty to do but without that crush of humanity. It'll be fun to see how my attitude adjusts!

The other thing I've found: People are super nice! Yeah people honk a lot and are impatient walking places but most people we meet are easy to talk to and want to help us.

Ol' Rusty's pulling a reverse Baz Luhrmann: Live in New York City once but leave before it makes you hard,

Ha I definitely lived in California long enough for it to make me soft. I'm dreading winter!!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2021, 07:34:30 AM »
In my experience people in NYC rule at minding their damn business. Probably like a good requirement if you are going to move there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »
In my experience people in NYC rule at minding their damn business. Probably like a good requirement if you are going to move there.

Yes, and I love this. Eyes forward and keep it moving, even if some naked dude is standing on a seat in the subway screaming the lyrics to Wannabe.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »

yes. about as polar opposite as you can get from the plains midwestern experience

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 16, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »

yes. about as polar opposite as you can get from the plains midwestern experience

I love the crap out of NYC and the people for all the reasons mentioned and could very easily live in Manhattan. There is no greater city in the world for a young bachelor.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 16, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
I guess I'd be a good New Yorker. Overall I'm observant af but I can easily zone out 99% of the crazy crap I see on my walk on the daily that people like my family can't wait to point out o me when visiting downtown.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 16, 2021, 11:38:23 AM »

Yeah we definitely paid more than we originally intended for an apartment because we wanted somewhat of a "sanctuary" that could weather another potential lockdown (which I'm doubtful will happen, but whatever). We actually had to match a bid above the asking rent! Because New York is back, baby.

I also don't know that I could live in Manhattan, but man Brooklyn residential neighborhoods like Park Slope and Fort Greene just seem like really pleasant places to live with plenty to do but without that crush of humanity. It'll be fun to see how my attitude adjusts!

The other thing I've found: People are super nice! Yeah people honk a lot and are impatient walking places but most people we meet are easy to talk to and want to help us.

Ha I definitely lived in California long enough for it to make me soft. I'm dreading winter!!!!

This is very true, along with others saying New Yorkers being BITB at ignoring and minding heir own business on the streets, the second you get off and go into a shop/restaurant the like immediately flip from "leave me alone" to shockingly and refreshingly warm and nice.

I love the crap out of NYC and the people for all the reasons mentioned and could very easily live in Manhattan. There is no greater city in the world for a young bachelor.

It's almost like, too easy.  :gocho:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:05 PM »

LA by a mile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 16, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »

LA by a mile

Disagree, but too each their own. A lot of it comes down to individual personality.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
I want a pelt count for each city

#peltwatch

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »
I'd bang LA so hard over NYC, but they're both cool.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

Pelt quality for sure. If I'm banging the city itself these aren't even comparable though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 16, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »

If I'm banging the city itself these aren't even comparable though.

they aren't comparable but both are wonderful in their own ways

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 16, 2021, 02:26:23 PM »
i have a cousin in her mid twenties who's lived her entire life in santa cruz and just moved by herself to nyc!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 16, 2021, 02:54:37 PM »
Smart.  Santa Cruz is barf city

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »

yeah, it really is. oh cool a cold beach and a shitty roller coaster. but at least the locals are assholes!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »

Pelt quality for sure. If I'm banging the city itself these aren't even comparable though.

If we're doing NYC comparos, especially for a single person, I'm throwing Boston's hat in the ring here. Cleaner, slightly more affordable, and just as cultured with a crap ton to do. I didn't live there single, but I lived there married and childless for a little bit, and it was so incredibly fun. We had a three way bang with Boston that was second to none.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »

yeah, it really is. oh cool a cold beach and a shitty roller coaster. but at least the locals are assholes!

my cousins are not assholes! yeah sc is p gross

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »

my cousins are not assholes! yeah sc is p gross

Gotta be better than Huntington Beach, right?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »

If we're doing NYC comparos, especially for a single person, I'm throwing Boston's hat in the ring here. Cleaner, slightly more affordable, and just as cultured with a crap ton to do. I didn't live there single, but I lived there married and childless for a little bit, and it was so incredibly fun. We had a three way bang with Boston that was second to none.
Come on man

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2021, 04:46:44 PM »

Agree on Boston.  NYC’s hippie little bro. Same(ish) bang for half the bucks. Winters are miserable tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2021, 08:03:32 PM »

Agree on Boston.  NYC’s hippie little bro. Same(ish) bang for half the bucks. Winters are miserable tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facts. Are they much better in NYC?