Author Topic: NYC  (Read 40912 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: NYC
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
I'm about to encourage you morons to not go to rough ridin' ramen places as grown ups. Maybe you can save your pennies and go to a spaghetti w/ ragu sauce restaurant instead.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:11:46 PM by michigancat »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2015, 11:00:51 PM »
this thread has taken a turn for the better

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
Thoughts on any of these?
- Employees Only
- 1 if by land, 2 if by sea
- Marea
- Alder
- Per Se (I can't pull the trigger on this one I don't think)
- White Horse Tavern
- The Smith
- Professor Thom's ?
- Grand Central Oyster Bar (was being renovated last visit)

Also, need a place in Brooklyn, headed over there for either lunch or dinner depending on what I find.

If you go to Professor Thoms check out the upstairs. White Horse has a good happy hour, but I was a little disappointed. Other places I haven't been to but 1 if by land is supposed to be great obviously. I heard that Union Square Cafe is closing soon, you might want to add that to your list.

Brooklyn ask GOSP, I used to live in Williamsburg and can give you suggestions for that if you're heading there.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
i like when rusty inspires people to do/try crap

book i'm currently reading is a Rusty suggestion.

me too! i like most of his suggestions.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »
- Employees Only
- Marea
- Alder
- White Horse Tavern
- The Smith
- Professor Thom's ?

Also, need a place in Brooklyn, headed over there for either lunch or dinner depending on what I find.

To add some reviews, been to these places
- Jimmys Corner / McSorleys - Worth the visit
- Les Halles - I'm a Bourdain fan and had a great lunch here
- Johns Pizzeria - bleh.
- Juniors -  :lick:
- Joe's Shanghai - soup dumplings!
- Australian - kstate watch party bar (bball need not apply)
- Crispin - nothing memorable
- Ess-Bagel - Overwhelming but good
- The Jeffery- Way too popular for what it was (see any gastropub)
- Cask Bar and Kitchen - meh
- Momofuku Milk Bar - The $8 cereal milk wasn't all that cereal milk'y
- Piccolo Fiore - Bad choice (thanks Opentable)
- Oficina Latina - weird brunch choice...it was fine but none too popular
- PJ Clarkes - good for a late late night dinner bar choice

Pork Slope in Brooklyn was pretty legit.

Also guise i'm literally moving to nyc this weekend and i'm terrified but also kind of excited but mostly terrified.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
Where are you living? I endorse chum's idea of living in Jersey and eating in diners. That's not what I've done, but it appeals to me on a visceral level.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
- Employees Only
- Marea
- Alder
- White Horse Tavern
- The Smith
- Professor Thom's ?

- Johns Pizzeria - bleh.

Also guise i'm literally moving to nyc this weekend and i'm terrified but also kind of excited but mostly terrified.
Are you afraid of the subway?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »
I would also be excited and scared if I was moving to NYC. don't let dickhole rusty be a dickhole to you. it's a huge change in enviro for hick kansans like us. I BET IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME THO!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
- Employees Only
- Marea
- Alder
- White Horse Tavern
- The Smith
- Professor Thom's ?

- Johns Pizzeria - bleh.

Are you afraid of the subway?

yes i am terrified of the subway.  I downloaded the hopstop app and even with that I still managed to miss my connection or screw something up pretty much every time I tried to get anywhere.  I'll be living in Brooklyn, (bedstuy) and working in the financial district. 

Last time I was in town I tried to get from my job interview in the financial district to visit a friend of mine who works right by the chelsea piers and I backtracked so many times on the subway that I actually would have gotten there faster if i just walked.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
You'll figure it out soon and love it. :thumbs:

Also, maybe just use google maps? It's worked for me. (It doesn't work well in the Bay Area though - schedules are somehow off).

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
there's free wifi in all the subway stations now which makes google mapping yourself around a breeze

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
- Employees Only been there for drinks only
- Marea fabulous seafood, priced well for what you get
- Alder I wasn't wowed, but went with a vegetarian; I remember thinking the drinks were the best part
- White Horse Tavern good burger & fries, better when you can sit outside
- The Smith solid food; good vibe; nothing special
- Professor Thom's ? delicious nachos
- Grand Central Oyster Bar (was being renovated last visit) good seafood; cool Mad Men-type atmosphere, or used to be

Heard great things about Per Se and 1 If By Land (the latter of which is supposed to be the most romantic dinner place in NYC). A very good not-too-fancy seafood place is L&W Oyster, also Fishtail by David Burke. Folks seem to love Charlie Bird, but I was handicapped again by going with a vegetarian.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
yeah everyone tells me I'll be on subway autopilot soon enough and i'm looking forward to that.  I'm mostly just embarrassed because for how much that city is just a grid I can't seem to figure out my cardinal directions.  Like, if I'm coming up out of a subway station I've never been in, there is a 100% chance I don't know north from south and will have to pull up either google maps or hopstop to see which way I'm walking and chances are it's probably the wrong direction.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
I'm going to change your name to BIG APPLE CAT

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
the1called_Hub, because this is wintertime, you can always tell which way is south. the yellow one is the sun!

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
yes i am terrified of the subway.  I downloaded the hopstop app and even with that I still managed to miss my connection or screw something up pretty much every time I tried to get anywhere.  I'll be living in Brooklyn, (bedstuy) and working in the financial district. 

Last time I was in town I tried to get from my job interview in the financial district to visit a friend of mine who works right by the chelsea piers and I backtracked so many times on the subway that I actually would have gotten there faster if i just walked.
yeah everyone tells me I'll be on subway autopilot soon enough and i'm looking forward to that.  I'm mostly just embarrassed because for how much that city is just a grid I can't seem to figure out my cardinal directions.  Like, if I'm coming up out of a subway station I've never been in, there is a 100% chance I don't know north from south and will have to pull up either google maps or hopstop to see which way I'm walking and chances are it's probably the wrong direction.

Don't worry about that, literally nobody will care as long as you don't stop at the top of the stairs and block the exit.

Which line are on you in Bedstuy?  A/C or G?  If it's the G you can shoot up to Greenpoint for good times on the weekend.  Are you near Speedy Romeo pizza?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »

The same thing happens to everyone when they first take a subway they are unfamiliar with. you will figure this out in no time. I remember my first day to work in SF I took a friggin bus and had no idea which way was North. And SF is like a tiny baby city compared to NY.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
I'm jelly. I wish I was moving to NYC.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »

Don't worry about that, literally nobody will care as long as you don't stop at the top of the stairs and block the exit.

Which line are on you in Bedstuy?  A/C or G?  If it's the G you can shoot up to Greenpoint for good times on the weekend.  Are you near Speedy Romeo pizza?

A/C.  It's kind of a toss up because my apartment is closer to the Kingston/Throop station but while Nostrand is a longer walk from home its a little easier to get to work so i dunno...might just depend on if it's -7 degrees outside.

And yes I live 2 blocks from Speedy Romeo and it is delightful

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
the1called_Hub, because this is wintertime, you can always tell which way is south. the yellow one is the sun!

the buildings are way too tall to see the sun, plus all the glass it's just a giant house of mirrors i don't know where its actually coming from.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »

If you go to Professor Thoms check out the upstairs. White Horse has a good happy hour, but I was a little disappointed. Other places I haven't been to but 1 if by land is supposed to be great obviously. I heard that Union Square Cafe is closing soon, you might want to add that to your list.

Brooklyn ask GOSP, I used to live in Williamsburg and can give you suggestions for that if you're heading there.

Glasserie in Greenpoint was my favorite restaurant in the city for a while, but it's hard to get to. Roberta's Pizza in Bushwick is the best pizza on earth, followed closely by Paulie Gee's pizza in Greenpoint. In south Brooklyn, Dover has a fantastic prix fixe. Five Leaves on the Greenpoint/Williamsburg border has great food, and it's by a fantastic bierhall, Spritzenhaus. However, it sounds like you might be headed to Williamsburg based on your description, so I'll tee that up for Paul Moscow.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
And yes I live 2 blocks from Speedy Romeo and it is delightful

You're all set then.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
I did ramen at ippudo west. Wish there was something like it in kc. Amazing. Also loved Korean food at a place called Barn Joo. Across from Beecher cheese which is a really cool shop/ apps&drinks place

You picked some fun spots!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
what if you forget your locker combination!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
solution- write it down on a piece of paper and hide it in your sock

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.