Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192127 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1000 on: October 10, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
Really?  My experience has been opposite.  Schnauzers seems high strung to me tho.  And cocker spaniels.  eff both of those.

Those too....and jack russells.

I was almost murdered by a JR once!  :runaway:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 10, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
trim, get that one that mikey just posted.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 11, 2016, 07:01:17 AM »
Have you looked at any herding breeds?  Like cattle dogs.  Very awesome and not so big. 

Miniature Australian Shepherds are awesome.....pricey though.

Lower body looks sickly.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36439471

Look at some Google images, most are fairly stocky in build for smaller dogs.  I don't think a miniature is required, the regular ones should be less than 50lbs, probably some in the 30-35 pound range.  Nearly every flatbed pickup you see in MT has at least one on the back, so they are very common fairly close to you.  Honestly it's a perfect breed for you.  The only downside is sometimes they're not best around kids because they tend to try to herd them, but they're not aggressive or anything.  Just damn good dogs.  Tough as crap, too.

I've had Ausies for thirty years, love the breed.  Having one as a pet/work dog is akin to having a child, be prepared to have another member in your family.  Easy to train and a very smart breed that responds well to visual stimuli.  Do not own if you don't have the time or patience and they all have their own personality.  A good sheering come May is a very good idea because the heat can be brutal on them, they were bred to work in the mountains. 

That's my warning.   :dubious:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:12:00 AM by slackcat »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 11, 2016, 03:19:14 PM »
if you're looking at at cattle dogs now, you may as well just get a border collie (the king of dogs) and be done with it.

?

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Border-Collie-Mix-28609421

The tongue makes me lol.  She's at the shelter I started at w/the pro of just being able to go and get crap done myself w/minimal humans but the neg of having little background info.  I'd take this caveat as including having access to you via gE:

Gypsy would do well with adopters who know and understand Border Collies and can make Gypsy's personality shine!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 11, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »
the short hair border collies are fun because at some point in history all the smart stuff associated with border collies was bred out of them (along with their long hair). so it's more like a regular dog and doesn't have to have a job to do all the time. great dog.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 11, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »
the short hair border collies are fun because at some point in history all the smart stuff associated with border collies was bred out of them (along with their long hair). so it's more like a regular dog and doesn't have to have a job to do all the time. great dog.

Would she need a yard to be able to have room to play long games of fetch, or would I be able to get her run around enough just doing the walking and running around town I plan to do?

I don't think I'm supposed to have the dog off leash even in the pet area of the courtyard.  Is it a thing to have a ridiculously long (to the point of being practically useless) leash or one that extends and retracts like a tape measure?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 11, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »
Yes, they make retractable ones, also I'm sure there are off leash parks close around
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 11, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »
Yes, they make retractable ones, also I'm sure there are off leash parks close around

Cool.  Yeah, there's plenty of off-leash areas I can walk to and do that once I know there'd be no negative consequence to unleashing.  I want to make sure though I could quickly do a kroger game of fetch right outside my place during 15-minute breaks.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 11, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
I play fetch with my dog in the living room sometimes while watching TV. It won't physically wear them out, but the mental activity is good

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 11, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
What I'm saying is that even if it's a small area, the dog will enjoy it

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 11, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
this is my experience and not necessarily the case for all BCs

long hair border collie: will play frisbee fetch until heart gives out. in fact, human needs to be the one to officially stop the game every time so that LHBC does not pass out or die

short hair border collie: will maybe go after the frisbee but not bring it all the way back. instead, will find a place in the shade to lay down with frisbee and look at human.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #1011 on: October 11, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »
sort of fostering/probably adopting this guy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 11, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
the foster dog concept just seems like a tricky way of making people adopt the dog

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 11, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »
Gypsy is the barkiest dog they have at that place.  You pull up in the parking lot and hear some dog going nuts from deep inside the facility, and it turns out to be Gypsy.  I'm not going back to that shelter.  It's rough ridin' crazy. 

The place with Ellie is supposed to respond w/in 7-10 days from yesterday.  They bring the dog to your place and size it up and tell you if it'll work or not.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
Gypsy is the barkiest dog they have at that place.  You pull up in the parking lot and hear some dog going nuts from deep inside the facility, and it turns out to be Gypsy.  I'm not going back to that shelter.  It's rough ridin' crazy. 

The place with Ellie is supposed to respond w/in 7-10 days from yesterday.  They bring the dog to your place and size it up and tell you if it'll work or not.

unwanted dog dealers take themselves far too rough ridin' seriously.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 11, 2016, 08:38:52 PM »
I'm on a flight to Seattle minutes after you get Ellie. She also does not have to be renamed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 11, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
that gypsy dog looks hot as eff, too bad about her being barky.  border collies shouldn't bark much, but with mixes, you never know.

on border collies/exercise (my experience).  they're very athletic and like doing athletic things, but they really just like doing what they like doing and the running and jumping and whatnot is incidental.  so if you have one that likes balls and fetching, just tossing the ball to it in your living room while you watch tv is just about as fun for it as taking it to a park and having it run to chase down the ball.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 11, 2016, 10:03:42 PM »
that gypsy dog looks hot as eff, too bad about her being barky.  border collies shouldn't bark much, but with mixes, you never know.

Really sucked.  I was walking to the dog area thinking how it was gonna be annoying AF hearing that barking dog while I was meeting my new dog.  Go in the holding area and the loudest dog lunges at me into the glass barking her as off and I look up at the nametag - Gypsy.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 11, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

Really sucked.  I was walking to the dog area thinking how it was gonna be annoying AF hearing that barking dog while I was meeting my new dog.  Go in the holding area and the loudest dog lunges at me into the glass barking her as off and I look up at the nametag - Gypsy.

Just buy a bark collar and it will learn to stop barking in like 10 minutes. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 12, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »

unwanted dog dealers take themselves far too rough ridin' seriously.

This.

I have heard that sometimes if you're adopting a hunting breed they make you sign something that says you won't take said dog hunting.  They also don't allow dogs to be kenneled outside in a run.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: October 13, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 13, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 13, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 20, 2016, 11:04:58 PM »

Today was Day 10.  Hadn't heard a thing.  I get on their site to email WTF to them and see Ellie listed as "adoption pending" and that her listing is removed from petfinder.  :flush:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 21, 2016, 12:40:31 AM »
SMDH