Author Topic: auto purchase sug.(not to be confused with hundreds of other sd request threads)  (Read 40290 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thoughts on cars with turbo? Our office cars have them. Hard to get used to. I could see liking them if you drive them a lot, though.

imo naturally aspirated > turbo
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think at some point in my life (probably midlife crisis time) I would like to buy a BMW 5 series and do European delivery over a summer.
That used to be a super sweet way to pick up a Ducati before the Euro started dominating the $. 

The story was you could pick your bike up in Bologna, ride it around for a couple of weeks or whatever and then Ducati would ship it to your local dealer and it all cost less than buying one in the US.  Maybe crap like this will come back if Hillary wins  :crossfingers:

That is still the case.  You are purchasing the cars/bikes in US$ through a US auto dealer, but you are buying it directly from the factory, so while the dealer gets to capture the sale toward their monthly number, they are basically acting only as an agent to transact the deal.  The price paid is negotiable, but the European Delivery MSRP and Invoice prices are always below the US MSRP/Invoice prices.  Depending upon the automaker, you also get discounts/accommodations when traveling and a free/discounted delivery to US after your trip. 

The main downsides:
the cost of the trip
the fact that financing is very difficult to obtain for European Delivery
the shipping time back to the US
Bill's strong dollar made it so you could almost pay for the trip with the savings, or so I have been told
This what Home equity loans are for
You won't want to ride at all in KS for months after carving Alpine mountain roads

Actually, 10 minutes of googling gives me the indication BMW is the only one still doing it :/

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think at some point in my life (probably midlife crisis time) I would like to buy a BMW 5 series and do European delivery over a summer.
That used to be a super sweet way to pick up a Ducati before the Euro started dominating the $. 

The story was you could pick your bike up in Bologna, ride it around for a couple of weeks or whatever and then Ducati would ship it to your local dealer and it all cost less than buying one in the US.  Maybe crap like this will come back if Hillary wins  :crossfingers:

That is still the case.  You are purchasing the cars/bikes in US$ through a US auto dealer, but you are buying it directly from the factory, so while the dealer gets to capture the sale toward their monthly number, they are basically acting only as an agent to transact the deal.  The price paid is negotiable, but the European Delivery MSRP and Invoice prices are always below the US MSRP/Invoice prices.  Depending upon the automaker, you also get discounts/accommodations when traveling and a free/discounted delivery to US after your trip. 

The main downsides:
the cost of the trip
the fact that financing is very difficult to obtain for European Delivery
the shipping time back to the US
Bill's strong dollar made it so you could almost pay for the trip with the savings, or so I have been told
This what Home equity loans are for
You won't want to ride at all in KS for months after carving Alpine mountain roads

Actually, 10 minutes of googling gives me the indication BMW is the only one still doing it :/
? http://www.audiusa.com/inventory/european-delivery
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think he meant for motorcycles.

Nearly all the major European car manufacturers do it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Thoughts on cars with turbo? Our office cars have them. Hard to get used to. I could see liking them if you drive them a lot, though.

hi rev v8 owns you and your turbo spool's face

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

hi rev v8 owns you and your turbo spool's face
  :thumbs:
I though you were making a comment on general principle on the value of turbos. 
Obvs that LS and now LT1 variants make my heart warm.  But who doesn't love an LS with massive amounts of forced induction!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

just sticking up for the s65b40. one of the finest engines ever made.  rip.
everything is going turbo, 10 mpg high rev engines just aren't practical anymore.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

just sticking up for the s65b40. one of the finest engines ever made.  rip.
everything is going turbo, 10 mpg high rev engines just aren't practical anymore.
This doesn't have to be true -with variable valve timing, direct injection, displacement on demand and even hybrid assist there are many ways to get acceptable fuel economy out of a high revving na motor.  It's not like the turbo motors burn any less fuel when they are producing peak power.

To speak specifically about the M3 it is disappointing BMW moved away from the best sounding engine they have ever made in what was a cost savings move imo.  Apparently,  Ferrari is doing the same thing, it is bad enough they have almost completely phased out models with a clutch pedal  :grrr:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the new inline 3L v6 turbos ('14 M4 @ 17 mpg) certainly burn less fuel than the NA 4L v8's ('13 M3 @ 11 mpg)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the new inline 3L v6 turbos ('14 M4 @ 17 mpg) certainly burn less fuel than the NA 4L v8's ('13 M3 @ 11 mpg)
  :sdeek: do you have to wind it up to 4k in each gear just to keep up with traffic?  A heavier 5.0 Mustang is rated at 15 mpg in the city

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
I bought my car from PurpleWave

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Ideas for a used car under $25K with nice options and reliability?  I keep coming back to an Acura TL, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES 350 and RX 350.  I am in a rut on this car search.

I want to be able to drive this thing for 5 - 7 years or so.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ideas for a used car under $25K with nice options and reliability?  I keep coming back to an Acura TL, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES 350 and RX 350.  I am in a rut on this car search.

I would go with the Acura or Toyota.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

My wife drives a 2011 Infiniti G37X and loves it.  They just discontinued the G37 you coud get a 2012 for under 25 and maybe even a 2013 for that.   

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

My wife drives a 2011 Infiniti G37X and loves it.  They just discontinued the G37 you coud get a 2012 for under 25 and maybe even a 2013 for that.

I will check them out!

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
you guys know a lot about cars. good work knowing all that stuff. my brain just doesn't care for it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you guys know a lot about cars. good work knowing all that stuff. my brain just doesn't care for it.

I like fancy buttons and leather

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I like fancy buttons and leather

I need seats with both heat and AC inside them. you get me that kind of stuff and it can have whatever engine with moderate efficiency you want to slap on it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
pete.  i think you should buy a 1963 ford econoline and have someone restore it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Not a dave ramsey guy, but when I buy a vehicle, I wait until around Sept or Oct, then go buy one of the last of last year's models on the lot.  They basically give them to you for free and give you free oil changes for life or something.

Pretty bored by cars.  Don't really care as long as it is comfy and stuff.  I mean, if I need my car to make my life better, there is probably other crap wrong.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not a dave ramsey guy, but when I buy a vehicle, I wait until around Sept or Oct, then go buy one of the last of last year's models on the lot.  They basically give them to you for free and give you free oil changes for life or something.

Pretty bored by cars.  Don't really care as long as it is comfy and stuff.  I mean, if I need my car to make my life better, there is probably other crap wrong.

I don't know, if you get joy out of a cool/fast/fun car then power to you imo. all people like different stuff. car people seem like solid folk.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
It takes all kinds.  Vroom, Vroom!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't know, if you get joy out of a cool/fast/fun car then power to you imo. all people like different stuff. car people seem like solid folk.

yeah i don't care about cars either but different strokes and what not. i can see the appeal.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:55:38 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

if you're bored by cars you probably drive a boring car

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

I used to have an Avalon and it was almost exactly like a Lexus except for the thermostat wasn't digital. Absolutely loved it. Would drive another when I have to drive again.