Author Topic: phog.net realignment gems  (Read 135361 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »
As I've said before, the BiG already has a level of market presence in KC because of the number of Iowa and Nebraska transplants that live in the KC Metro.

Anecdotally my parents church on JoCo is filled with Hawkeye and Cornhole fans. 

Unless the BiG boots Rutgers, which would be a wide open admission by the conference they made a mistake and nobody wants that kind of publicity.    Then KU just adds another mouth to feed that doesn't bring true value in the sport that matters.

If you're a KU fan that cares at all about football and getting back to consistent winning ways, the best chance is in the Big 12.   The best chance for KU to ever see a CFBPO birth if it ever really expands is in the Big 12.    This desire for a Power 2 likely relegates KU football to nothing more than cannon fodder for the grinder into perpetuity.   It's literally a participation ribbon for decades upon decades.   

But living in the heart of SEC country I see and hear first hand every day how the usual list of schools beam with pride at the fact that they're allowed to participate in the SEC.  So I know for some, participation ribbons are a big deal. 

I wish them the best though.

I've never understood "conference pride". I give no shits about the other teams and hope they lose every game against my team. I get zero of the dollars personally so as long as my team is reasonably taken care of, it doesn't matter an ounce to me what conference they are in. The ding dongs in the SEC and BIG that lose 5 games minimum every year and then cheer for Alabama and Ohio State in the playoffs are super weird.

It's truly a site to behold.   But I am surrounded by fans of schools who collectively haven't won a conference football title in over 4 centuries.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
As I've said before, the BiG already has a level of market presence in KC because of the number of Iowa and Nebraska transplants that live in the KC Metro.

Anecdotally my parents church on JoCo is filled with Hawkeye and Cornhole fans. 

Unless the BiG boots Rutgers, which would be a wide open admission by the conference they made a mistake and nobody wants that kind of publicity.    Then KU just adds another mouth to feed that doesn't bring true value in the sport that matters.

If you're a KU fan that cares at all about football and getting back to consistent winning ways, the best chance is in the Big 12.   The best chance for KU to ever see a CFBPO birth if it ever really expands is in the Big 12.    This desire for a Power 2 likely relegates KU football to nothing more than cannon fodder for the grinder into perpetuity.   It's literally a participation ribbon for decades upon decades.   

But living in the heart of SEC country I see and hear first hand every day how the usual list of schools beam with pride at the fact that they're allowed to participate in the SEC.  So I know for some, participation ribbons are a big deal. 

I wish them the best though.

KU is not unusual in this respect, only unusual in how open they are in pursuing revenue.  OU/UT to SEC was more financially driven than meeting the needs of the fan base.  UT has always been an inconsiderate conference partner (see SW Conference history), and OU has more recently been an inconsiderate conference partner with their griping about 11am starts.  UT's interval of decency was when they had former KSU AD Deloss Dodds leading their athletic department,  they've been disgusting pigs in terms of conference partners since he retired (see Longhorn Network).

There are good points.

KU fans are now declaring KU the leader of the new Big 12 (until they go to the BiG of course).

If that's even remotely the case, that simply does not bode well for the Big 12.    It's not that far of a stretch to think that it may be better for the new Big 12 to jettison KU and it's awful football program on to someone else.    Basketball carries very little weight for conference wide media rights negotiations.    The Big 12's 'lead' product cannot be basketball or Gene Taylor will be proven to be completely wrong and revenue will plummet.   Basketball is not power conference sustaining on any conceivable level.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:45 PM »
Kentucky has a much better basketball and football program, in the SEC, and everyone still thinks of them as meh.

Here is how I perceive the SEC pecking order, ranked from last to first:

Vandy
Missouri
Miss State/Ole Miss/South Carolina
Arkansas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Alabama

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
Kentucky has a much better basketball and football program, in the SEC, and everyone still thinks of them as meh.

Vandy
Missouri
Arkansas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
I'd put Mizzou over the Mississippi schools but that is pretty dead on.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 15, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »

Vandy
Missouri
Arkansas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
I'd put Mizzou over the Mississippi schools but that is pretty dead on.

Vandy
Miss State
Arkansas
Mizzou
So Car
Ole Miss
Kentucky
ATM
Tennessee
Auburn
Oklahoma
Texas
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:15:58 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 15, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
If they continue to not be publicly committed to the conference, the Board of Governors should 100% Temple them. I mean what do they offer that Memphis doesn't? Not kidding ether.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
the Board of Governors should 100% Temple them
What does this mean?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 15, 2021, 03:58:15 PM »
What does this mean?

Give them the boot.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 15, 2021, 04:03:15 PM »
Giving KU their walking papers would be awesome. I wonder how much it would cost the conference to kick them out? It would be total  :bwpopcorn:.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 15, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
What does this mean?

https://web.archive.org/web/20131005004625/http://nytimes.stats.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20120817173242625024008

"The Owls had 10 seasons of one or two victories spanning their Big East years of 1991-2004. The Owls were evicted from the Big East after 13 years for failing to meet minimum requirements for membership, most notably in attendance, facilities and fielding a competitive team."

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 15, 2021, 04:48:45 PM »
Guys, while the SEC and B10 fight over them, it sounds like they're going to sneak over to the ACC.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 15, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »
What does this mean?

https://web.archive.org/web/20131005004625/http://nytimes.stats.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20120817173242625024008

"The Owls had 10 seasons of one or two victories spanning their Big East years of 1991-2004. The Owls were evicted from the Big East after 13 years for failing to meet minimum requirements for membership, most notably in attendance, facilities and fielding a competitive team."
Thanks!  I had no idea conferences would actually evict a school.  I wonder how close Nebraska is to eviction

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 15, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »
What does this mean?

Thanks!  I had no idea conferences would actually evict a school.  I wonder how close Nebraska is to eviction

I don’t think the B10 would evict Nubb. They’re an easy win for the big boys but with enough name recognition it looks like a good win even if it’s not. Rutgers is far and away first on the chopping block for the B10.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
I know that they don't care but if they start evicting the schools that they poached from other conferences and almost killed those conferences they would look like major MAJOR dicks

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 16, 2021, 01:41:53 AM »
If they continue to not be publicly committed to the conference, the Board of Governors should 100% Temple them. I mean what do they offer that Memphis doesn't? Not kidding ether.

According to the Big 12 Bylaws -

"A Member (a “Withdrawing Member”) may Withdraw, or shall be deemed to have Withdrawn, as a Member of the Conference: (i) if it gives notice of the intent to Withdraw to the Conference; or (ii) if a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors by affirmative vote determines that such Member: (A) makes statements or takes actions that are determined by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors to evidence the intent of such Member to withdraw from the Conference either currently or in the future; ... or (D) if a Member otherwise takes or fails to take actions that are determined by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors to be contrary to the best interests of the Conference taken as a whole."

It seems to me that with the AD out there blabbing that they'd jump ship at a moment's notice if they could that it would definitely be easy to tell them not to let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 16, 2021, 04:14:34 AM »
“What will happen here is that the BIG XII will expand to 14 teams and this will cause paranoia in the big 10 Conference and to counter that they will steal Kansas. Goff and Girod know how the game works.”

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 16, 2021, 08:27:52 AM »

According to the Big 12 Bylaws -

"A Member (a “Withdrawing Member”) may Withdraw, or shall be deemed to have Withdrawn, as a Member of the Conference: (i) if it gives notice of the intent to Withdraw to the Conference; or (ii) if a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors by affirmative vote determines that such Member: (A) makes statements or takes actions that are determined by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors to evidence the intent of such Member to withdraw from the Conference either currently or in the future; ... or (D) if a Member otherwise takes or fails to take actions that are determined by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors to be contrary to the best interests of the Conference taken as a whole."

It seems to me that with the AD out there blabbing that they'd jump ship at a moment's notice if they could that it would definitely be easy to tell them not to let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.

Kicking KU out of this conference after losing OU and UT would be such a boss move for the Big XII leadership... which is why I know it'll never happen.

“What will happen here is that the BIG XII will expand to 14 teams and this will cause paranoia in the big 10 Conference and to counter that they will steal Kansas. Goff and Girod know how the game works.”

:lol: :ROFL: :lol: :ROFL: :lol: :ROFL:

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 16, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
Why would the big 10 be paranoid of what our conference is doing.  They have legit anchor tenants.  They will be fine as long as they stay.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:32:24 AM by wiley »
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 16, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
The KU guys talk about how great the Big 10 is because all the schools look out for each other.  Yet they seem to be auditioning by giving their current conference mates the finger whenever they can. 

The more they hear about how the rest of the Big 12 wasn't happy with Goff's comments about looking elsewhere, the more they think he's doing all the right things, and they couldn't be more proud of him.  They laugh at Gene for saying positive things about the conference.

That place is so aptly named the 'phog'.  Those minds are just so fogged up over there, it's like you're in a dream, and you know you're in a dream, and you're just watching all this stuff that looks kind of real, but is just so detached from reality.  One minute this whole beautiful plan falls into place to be in the Big 10, but, then, wait, we're in the ACC?  Oh cool!  But why are we all excited to play USC?  Oh, no, we're in the PAC 12.  And we have the SEC shaking in their boots now, because now that KU is going to be in the Big 10 with Ohio State and Michigan, we have ALL the control.  lol  Oh, and those idiots over there at KSUck can't face the reality that they're stuck in the Big 12.  lol

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:59 PM »
A guy said KU fits better in the ACC than WVU.  That kind of sums of a lot of the dumbness you see over there.

Online deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 17, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Too bad absolutely none of the phoggies are cognizant of two huge barriers to their value in realignment:
- Worst football program in the P5 several years running
- Worst football stadium in P5

It never ceases to amaze me that these people are blind to this, and are forever stuck in this delusion that Lawrence is one of the best college towns in the country ( ! ), and that KU is an elite academic institution.  When I first graduated and moved to KC for my first job, I rented a house with a KU grad who constantly referred to K-State as a glorified vo-tech school, and KU as Harvard of the Plains.  He stopped when he learned that I couldn't stop laughing every time he said it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 17, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »
Too bad absolutely none of the phoggies are cognizant of two huge barriers to their value in realignment:

It never ceases to amaze me that these people are blind to this, and are forever stuck in this delusion that Lawrence is one of the best college towns in the country ( ! ), and that KU is an elite academic institution.  When I first graduated and moved to KC for my first job, I rented a house with a KU grad who constantly referred to K-State as a glorified vo-tech school, and KU as Harvard of the Plains.  He stopped when he learned that I couldn't stop laughing every time he said it.

Undoubtedly philosophers are in the right, when they tell us that nothing is great or little otherwise than by comparison.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 17, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »

I recently read a KU post that they are ranked like 298th or something in the world university rankings as proof they are elite. And I was sold.

Also, say it with me, Jerry..... ENDOWMENT

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 17, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »

They are a strange bunch for sure. I worked with a guy who grew up and went to Iowa and then grad school at an SEC school. One day, he just randomly asks me, "what is up with KU fans?" I just laughed and said, what do you mean? He said, "i've been here like 2-3 years now and I've never been around fans like this. They are the most arrogant fan base I've ever seen and I grew up in Big 10 country and went to school down south". I just laughed my ass off and said, yep, that's about right and walked on.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 17, 2021, 08:05:10 PM »
Oh man, all this uppity KU fan talk reminds me of a great story that happened the first time the Katz played Stanford a couple of years ago and possibly the best one liner of all time.

My friend had started dating a girl who went to KU and brought her to a watch party where she met all of the friends for the first time.

Eventually the conversation went like this (We thought she was joking at first but she wouldnt back down)

Friend1 "So now that you are dating (our friend) are you going to start cheering for kstate too"?
Girl "Never, I can't stand K-state, their trashy"
Friend1 "Excuse me, everyone here is trashy?"
Girl "Kind of yeah, just trashy, KU is a much better school and the fans are classier"
Friend1 "So you think KU grads are better than Kstate grads?"
Girl "Yes, absolutely"
Friend1 "Are you kidding me? YOU GREW UP IN A SPLIT LEVEL HOUSE, YOUR NOT BETTER THAN US"
The girl immediately started blushing and stopped the conversation.

Later I asked friend1 how he knew she grew up in a split level house since we had just met her that night and he said "I didn't but I knew she grew up close to your parents and they have a split level house so I took a guess"