Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 104162 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #975 on: May 01, 2023, 04:38:50 PM »
Just bought a new bike! I haven't had one in forever  :excited:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 01, 2023, 05:03:53 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 01, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2023, 07:16:42 PM »
This is why I won’t ever be a cyclist. Sounds like this guy was as cautious as they come.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 01, 2023, 07:37:23 PM »
gravel bikes are the best. also the roads are generally garbage where i live with debris and broken glass, etc, so my gravel bike with tubeless tires is kind of my DD. what bikes are on your list?
i've never done the belgian waffle but i've heard it's a great event. that elev gain is real

I don’t have an extremely narrow list yet.  Just doing more research currently while I start on the trainer.  I will most likely go the route of seeing what is gently us d and available to get the most bang for my buck.  I have been keeping an eye on The Pro’s Closet.  I have heard good things about them and there are some nice bikes on there.  I will also keep a lookout for bikes on consignment sale at a couple local shops.

Looking for a double ring set up, I am a spinner that tries to keep it above 90 cadence almost always.  I know that really narrows down my selection.  Tubeless or tubeless ready.  Non-carbon frame, carbon forks are fine.  Have not been swayed one way or the other on 650 vs 700.  GRX600 equivalent or above. 

This bike popped up and man, it is hard for me not to pull the trigger right now.  I promised my wife that I would not buy until I logged hours on the trainer and need to hold up my end of the deal.  It is so dang sexy.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2020-gunnar-hyper-xx-l

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2023, 09:36:16 PM »
ride at your own risk in Kansas. you may or may not have a right not to be killed by motorists

https://coloradoavidcyclist.com/no-justice-in-kansas-anti-cycling-bias-and-the-tragic-death-of-unbound-gravel-racer-greg-bachman/?fbclid=IwAR3bOwSTTcNjKs-coxmzoASxFMct3nZgYvGgWhV5f_9G_jyOPwFOOSaAG20

That's really sad, but also pretty reckless on the cyclist's part.

What was reckless by the cyclist?

It's a dirt road. Vehicles stir up dust that you can see from a mile away. Maybe look left and right when you are coming up on an intersection without any stop signs, because a truck going 60 mph on gravel isn't going to be able to stop.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2023, 09:40:03 PM »

ride at your own risk in Kansas. you may or may not have a right not to be killed by motorists

https://coloradoavidcyclist.com/no-justice-in-kansas-anti-cycling-bias-and-the-tragic-death-of-unbound-gravel-racer-greg-bachman/?fbclid=IwAR3bOwSTTcNjKs-coxmzoASxFMct3nZgYvGgWhV5f_9G_jyOPwFOOSaAG20

It's a dirt road. Vehicles stir up dust that you can see from a mile away. Maybe look left and right when you are coming up on an intersection without any stop signs, because a truck going 60 mph on gravel isn't going to be able to stop.

he didn't look left and right before crossing the road?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 01, 2023, 09:51:15 PM »

Well, he got t-boned by a pickup truck, so apparently he didn't.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 02, 2023, 09:19:23 AM »

Well, he got t-boned by a pickup truck, so apparently he didn't.
Wow, ok then

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 02, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »

gravel bikes are the best. also the roads are generally garbage where i live with debris and broken glass, etc, so my gravel bike with tubeless tires is kind of my DD. what bikes are on your list?
i've never done the belgian waffle but i've heard it's a great event. that elev gain is real

I don%u2019t have an extremely narrow list yet.  Just doing more research currently while I start on the trainer.  I will most likely go the route of seeing what is gently us d and available to get the most bang for my buck.  I have been keeping an eye on The Pro%u2019s Closet.  I have heard good things about them and there are some nice bikes on there.  I will also keep a lookout for bikes on consignment sale at a couple local shops.

Looking for a double ring set up, I am a spinner that tries to keep it above 90 cadence almost always.  I know that really narrows down my selection.  Tubeless or tubeless ready.  Non-carbon frame, carbon forks are fine.  Have not been swayed one way or the other on 650 vs 700.  GRX600 equivalent or above. 

This bike popped up and man, it is hard for me not to pull the trigger right now.  I promised my wife that I would not buy until I logged hours on the trainer and need to hold up my end of the deal.  It is so dang sexy.

It sounds like you are a dyed in the wool roadie at heart. I got my gravel bike right before 1x became standard and that's kind of my only regret. Maybe test drive a 1x setup before you commit to a 2x. Otoh if where you live is mostly flat and you want max speed, 2x would be fine.
If you're anti-carbon frame I would 100% recommend steel frame (carbon fork is totally fine but try to find one with fork mounts).
Coming from road bikes, you would probably be most comfortable on a bike with endurance road type geometry. About half of gravel bikes on the market are basically evolved mtb's with drop bars and you would maybe find that jarring.
And would go with a wheel/tire setup in the 700x40 range.

edit: hydro brakes and thru-axles are a must (industry standard now in the price range you're looking at; but if you get a used bike just double check the specs)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:36:06 AM by mocat »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 02, 2023, 09:28:32 AM »
my bikepacking setup is just about dialed

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 02, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »

that's pretty dang hot

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 02, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »

That’s awesome.  I never had the extra time to commit to getting into cycling due to other hobbies.  But i have a family member that will do San Diego to somewhere in Zona.  And a co-worker who is doing the continental ride in june or july, which i’m incredibly jealous, I’ve only done 2/3 of that ride on a dirt bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 02, 2023, 10:05:54 AM »

The back cogs on that beauty are incredibly large / awesome. Looks like there is just one ring on the front?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 02, 2023, 10:12:56 AM »
yeah it is 1x12. i think it is a 10-51t cassette, and i just got a new 34t oval chainring

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 02, 2023, 10:15:00 AM »
That’s awesome.  I never had the extra time to commit to getting into cycling due to other hobbies.  But i have a family member that will do San Diego to somewhere in Zona.  And a co-worker who is doing the continental ride in june or july, which i’m incredibly jealous, I’ve only done 2/3 of that ride on a dirt bike.

i would love to try the continental divide sometime but i think i would have to be retired and my body might not work anymore  :frown:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 02, 2023, 10:00:06 PM »

I don%u2019t have an extremely narrow list yet.  Just doing more research currently while I start on the trainer.  I will most likely go the route of seeing what is gently us d and available to get the most bang for my buck.  I have been keeping an eye on The Pro%u2019s Closet.  I have heard good things about them and there are some nice bikes on there.  I will also keep a lookout for bikes on consignment sale at a couple local shops.

It sounds like you are a dyed in the wool roadie at heart. I got my gravel bike right before 1x became standard and that's kind of my only regret. Maybe test drive a 1x setup before you commit to a 2x. Otoh if where you live is mostly flat and you want max speed, 2x would be fine.
If you're anti-carbon frame I would 100% recommend steel frame (carbon fork is totally fine but try to find one with fork mounts).
Coming from road bikes, you would probably be most comfortable on a bike with endurance road type geometry. About half of gravel bikes on the market are basically evolved mtb's with drop bars and you would maybe find that jarring.
And would go with a wheel/tire setup in the 700x40 range.

edit: hydro brakes and thru-axles are a must (industry standard now in the price range you're looking at; but if you get a used bike just double check the specs)

100% of my miles logged have been on the road.  I feel that having familiarness of my gear range that I have trained with for years out-weights the benefit of switching to 1x because it is more streamlined and rugged to handle the rigors of gravel rides.  Most of my week day rides will be indoor trainer miles and a good portion of my weekend rides will still feature large sections of asphalt and open road to get to gravel.  Alas, living right in the center of Dallas is not great for an aspiring gravel rider.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:13 AM »
Got in a nice 15 mile ride on some gravel and dirt with a couple of buds this morning. Felt good.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 15, 2023, 11:52:43 AM »
This made me laugh.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Scott County Road Department urges motorists in Georgetown to please share the roadway with cyclists.

Thank you!

This PSA is sponsored by Scott Porter and Just 4 You Home Loans NMLS 1555622
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=579304164300144&set=a.517952960435265
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 22, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »
KC > STL on the Rock Island / Katy trail last week. It's like 350 miles of completely flat rail trail, which is a lot of pedaling without ever once being able to coast down a hill.
You have to throw down an outrageous amount of calories, it is irl very fun to order two meals at a time at restaurants. Boonville, Hermann, Augusta, etc are all adorable

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #995 on: May 22, 2023, 03:41:25 PM »
nice, I have some family along the trail, always wanted to ride that

where's your water? camelbak?

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #996 on: May 22, 2023, 04:08:00 PM »
did my annual loop around Mt Bachelor before the highway opens tomorrow. 40 miles & 3000 ft climbing. More snow than normal, had to hike through a couple patches.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 25, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »
I learned today that there is a 1000 mile gravel route thru the Flint Hills:

https://discovergravel.com/flint-hills-ultra

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2023, 09:22:20 AM »
I learned today that there is a 1000 mile gravel route thru the Flint Hills:

https://discovergravel.com/flint-hills-ultra

:eek: Ashton Lambie leading a race on that route now: https://trackleaders.com/flinthills23

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #999 on: June 04, 2023, 08:43:59 PM »
McKenzie Pass, an Oregon tradition, closed to cars until late June.