Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 105594 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2016, 10:43:32 PM »
I will be in the La Cygne area June 3-5.  Anyone down for doing a nice 50+ road ride that weekend?  SEK_EMAW is that close to your hood?

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »
I will be in the La Cygne area June 3-5.  Anyone down for doing a nice 50+ road ride that weekend?  SEK_EMAW is that close to your hood?

Sounds good.  :thumbs:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 28, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »

are you on strava?

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »

are you on strava?

Yes.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3113692

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 29, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »

are you on strava?

Yes.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3113692

followed homie

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
got 58 miles in yesterday.  most exciting part of the ride was around mile 35 when a hornet or wasp got stuck in my helmet and started angrily stinging the crap out of my head.  was derailed about 20 minutes while I let the heartbeat in my head subside and went to multiple gas stations to find some benadryl.

could have been a lot worse as I was cruisin down a hill at about 30mph when it happened.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
got 58 miles in yesterday.  most exciting part of the ride was around mile 35 when a hornet or wasp got stuck in my helmet and started angrily stinging the crap out of my head.  was derailed about 20 minutes while I let the heartbeat in my head subside and went to multiple gas stations to find some benadryl.

could have been a lot worse as I was cruisin down a hill at about 30mph when it happened.

I got a attacked by a swarm of hornets in Minnesota a couple years ago.  It was awful.  My legs swelled up, and it was pretty painful.  I can't imagine that happening on my head. On a bike.  Holy cow.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »

I got a attacked by a swarm of hornets in Minnesota a couple years ago.  It was awful.  My legs swelled up, and it was pretty painful.  I can't imagine that happening on my head. On a bike.  Holy cow.

Yeah, if it would have happened to my brother C4 then it would have been a very bad situation.  He has reactions like you explain only worse.  I just have server discomfort and annoyance.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:03 AM »
PRAYERS REQUESTED

for all the people in the world not fortunate enough to own a huffy even half as sick as this sick rough ridin' HUFFY.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
Guys I put one of those child carrier seats on my mountain bike.  I guess you could say the center of gravity of my bike is now literally shifted, just as the center of gravity of my life has figuratively shifted.  When we ride, I find it severely limits his vocabulary.  "Weeeee!"  "Fast fast fast fast!"  "Puppy?"  "Duck."

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 07, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »

New commuter/touring bike! Yeaaaaaaaaah. Will post changes when I'm done with it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 07, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »

I rode 41 miles on the Paul Bunyan trail in MN today in my MTB.  It was gorgeous.  The trail is cut right through birch and pine Forrests, surrounded by frequent lakes.  Just amazing.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:02 AM »
jesus Pete that route require a passport?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2016, 10:55:51 PM »
jesus Pete that route require a passport?

It was very northerny for sure. 

The Big Train

« Reply #589 on: July 08, 2016, 11:01:46 PM »
Does Pete know the future :ohno:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
Took a little trip on the Colorado Trail this weekend.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
That looks quite tasty. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #592 on: July 11, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »
Most excellent

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2016, 07:48:37 PM »

That looks awesome. How do you like the fat boy?  Do you prefer it to full Suspension bikes trails like that?

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Any cyclists?
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »

That looks awesome. How do you like the fat boy?  Do you prefer it to full Suspension bikes trails like that?

I really like the way the fat bike handled under load. A front fork would probably be awesome but the added stiffness of the carbon for sure carried me over a few ascents. I like the extra room I get with the frame bag on the hardtail too. They can make other custom set ups for fullys though, just not sure how much it would be worth it. With that amount of weight it seemed that it may be tough to replicate the stiffness found in a hard tail with a full suspension. A ton of people do it though and say it works really well. The guys at bedrock bags are based out of my town and make a ton of different stuff and have a lot of info on their website.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »
Better pic of the bike.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »
That is rough ridin' amazeballs and I want it. 

Thats a Blackborow right?  Did it come with the lugs to mount stuff/bottles on the fork?  How many amazing day trips and or camping trips have you been on where you packed most of the gear on the frame?  And any want to spend the money to get a squishy fork or were you wanting rigid?  Any reason for the Blackborow versus the Mukluk or Beargrease? 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
That is rough ridin' amazeballs and I want it. 

Thats a Blackborow right?  Did it come with the lugs to mount stuff/bottles on the fork?  How many amazing day trips and or camping trips have you been on where you packed most of the gear on the frame?  And any want to spend the money to get a squishy fork or were you wanting rigid?  Any reason for the Blackborow versus the Mukluk or Beargrease? 

Yeah, it's a Blackborow. I can't remember the model of the fork, but it came with mounts. It doesn't look like they make it anymore or at least show it on their site. It looks like the Makwa, but pre-drilled. I thought about upgrading to a bluto, but decided it wasn't necessary at the time I bought the bike. Still heavily considering making the switch, but I have a santa cruz tallboy and the purpose of this bike is generally a little different than my true trail bike.

I tested out both the Mukluk and the Beargrease and decided on the Blackborow due to how it handled, the fit, chainline, and tire size (29+ compatibility was a definite advantage). There is/was a phenomenal Beargrease at the shop I bought it from, but it was just outside of my budget, or I would have gone with it. I think the store still has it (last years model) and have put some pretty serious discounts on it by now (sweet pink fade paint and bluto).

The fatty serves primarily as my winter commuter (hence the rigid set up) and I'm just now starting to try out this bike packing thing. That said, it performed really rough ridin' well on it's maiden voyage last weekend and I am sold on the whole idea of this being a regular weekend thing. I will probably make the decision to get a bar bag and a couple others once I get the dough, but for now this set up wasn't bad (just used a few boat straps to secure my tent and sleeping pad on the front). Not having a pack on my person was a huge bonus and made the whole ride super enjoyable. I generally don't ride with a backpack, and try to avoid it at all costs.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 12, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »

To better answer your question: I've ridden this trail on a full suspension and generally love it for day trips to the high country. Full suspensions out there are way more fun and given the choice to ride the fatbike vs a fully, I would choose the fully in any instance where I'm not self-supporting over two or more days.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »

To better answer your question: I've ridden this trail on a full suspension and generally love it for day trips to the high country. Full suspensions out there are way more fun and given the choice to ride the fatbike vs a fully, I would choose the fully in any instance where I'm not self-supporting over two or more days.

Awesome.  Man, where do you live?  I am very jealous. 

I have been looking into doing this crazy multiple day ride thing with a buddy of mine...it some deal where they stock little cabins or yurts for you along the way, and you just follow the map and don't have to pack crap.