Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 105587 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #625 on: August 30, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Do you guys have a bike rack or do you just roll that badboy right on in to your office?

there is a nook thing by the back stairs where i come in that is like tailor made for bikes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
Quite a few people bike to my office and it's a mess. No rack and they're just kind of scattered around the basement/shop

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 30, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
most of my office lives in one of liberty / lee's summit / olathe.  drugs?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »
I have recently started riding my bike on linear trail. I've gone off on that hiking trail/ wooded section a couple of times. I enjoy it. I want to ride more. My schwinn mesa is kinda a run down POS, though. I've had it since '07 and my dumbass rarely did any maintenance on it. I guess I'll scour craigslist for some used bikes.

what I'm really trying to ask is, does anyone know if there any other trails around MHK besides linear? i know eff all about these things other than how to pedal and stay upright.

/gpcpost

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
I have recently started riding my bike on linear trail. I've gone off on that hiking trail/ wooded section a couple of times. I enjoy it. I want to ride more. My schwinn mesa is kinda a run down POS, though. I've had it since '07 and my dumbass rarely did any maintenance on it. I guess I'll scour craigslist for some used bikes.

what I'm really trying to ask is, does anyone know if there any other trails around MHK besides linear? i know eff all about these things other than how to pedal and stay upright.

/gpcpost

We used to go out to Tuttle and ride on the horse trails.
@mikec2w

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 30, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »

oh yeah. forgot to post finished product.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 30, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »
those brakes are a pain in the anal region

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 16, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »

nuts

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

/gpcpost

Depends on how far you are willing to ride. 

Topeka has a few trails around town.  North of Manhattan you have Fancy Creek out by Randolph, but I think your Schwinner might have a tough time out there. While technically easy, the trails out at Washington Marlatt Park in north Manhattan will work you out a bit more because of some pretty good climbs.  There is a local trail group building more trail by the Zoo as well (find them on facebook at Manhattan Trail Works, they're really good peoples).  Out west near Salina you have Switchgrass out by Lake Wilson (I've never ridden there). 

As far as bikes go the Manhattan area craiglist wont net you many good opportunities.  KC (and even Topeka/Lawrence) have more active craiglists to find used deals.  You might also check at Pathfinder to see when bikes start to get closed out. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

Ben ji,

how did this go for you? Ms. WW and I want to get into biking, just around town and paved trails. We literally have no idea what we're doing. At this point we're looking at used ones on craigslist or cheapos from Academy.

Thoughts anyone?

If I could put in my  :th_twocents:

Department store bikes are really designed to last <100 hours of use (Walmart closer to 36hrs) before you start to get some issues.  It might be a good option if you are really unsure if you will stick with riding.  That way you know whether or not spending more than $150.00 for a better bike is for you.  If you are for sure going to ride weekly you might think about getting a better bike from the outset than what a store like academy can offer. 

Something like the Giant Roam , Specialized's Fitness line might be good places to start for a simple paved trail bike.  These will be more upright and comfortable for novice riders, have multiple gears to make it easy or go a little faster, and very simple to maintain.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
Rampage Winning Run: Brandon Semenuk's Flawless Big Mountain Line

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 17, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
Rampage is such a weird event. What these guys are doing is insanely difficult and so out there it's really hard to wrap my head around. The level of riding and danger involved in the event inflates casual viewers expectations of what mtb is and what the sport is generally about. The vid Pissclams posted is a perfect example. That dude who couldn't bring himself to take those drops and who changed lines multiple times in order to find something he was comfortable with? Oh that is just a guy who has been participating in UCI downhill events for decades. It's pretty telling when a pro of his calibre and ability backs away from lines. Not saying the event isn't cool, but it obviously gets lost in translation a bit to the general public.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 17, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
i posted the video b/c his funny commentary, like when he described that one part of the trail as smelling like too much garlic or whatever

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 17, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »
Very stinky/spicy line. I do love his jab at the frenchies.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 17, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
It was a great vid piss.  I had found a gif of him going to all the ramps and backing away and was admittedly confused what was going on.  With the commentary and full length action, just great.

Watching some of the crash vids, I don't understand why people do it.  Just amazingly brutal stuff.  I believe it was last year they life flighted a rider out too. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 17, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
i used to think it was cool when i'd ride with dennis mccoy and matt hoffman on my friends halfpipe, what these guys are doing on dirt is just insane

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 17, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »

Ben ji,

how did this go for you? Ms. WW and I want to get into biking, just around town and paved trails. We literally have no idea what we're doing. At this point we're looking at used ones on craigslist or cheapos from Academy.

Thoughts anyone?

If I could put in my  :th_twocents:

Department store bikes are really designed to last <100 hours of use (Walmart closer to 36hrs) before you start to get some issues.  It might be a good option if you are really unsure if you will stick with riding.  That way you know whether or not spending more than $150.00 for a better bike is for you.  If you are for sure going to ride weekly you might think about getting a better bike from the outset than what a store like academy can offer. 

Something like the Giant Roam , Specialized's Fitness line might be good places to start for a simple paved trail bike.  These will be more upright and comfortable for novice riders, have multiple gears to make it easy or go a little faster, and very simple to maintain.

<3
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 17, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
i used to think it was cool when i'd ride with dennis mccoy and matt hoffman on my friends halfpipe, what these guys are doing on dirt is just insane
The mere thought of 7' tall 'clams on a bmx bike is :lol:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 17, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
The mere thought of 7' tall 'clams on a bmx bike is :lol:

but this was 20 years ago

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
not a bmx bike

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 17, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
:horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:
That's pretty cool

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
Looking into getting a bike and need some advice as to whether I should just grab one at walmart or go to a bike shop. I literally know nothing about bikes and have not had one since freshman year of college.

- This will be for exercise and cruising the neighborhood
-It will be a mountain bike, none of that panzy skinny tire nonsense
-I will not ride on roads with it, only sidewalks and sweet jumps
-I do not want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars
-I will not wear a helmet

Please provide any suggestions of bike models/types as well as any places to purchase said bikes in the kansas city area.

Ben ji,

Thoughts anyone?
If you plan to use it more than 1 time a month get a decent one.

I bought one off Craigslist for $75 that was your basic Walmart bike, it lasted 2 years before the brakes stopped working and I threw it away.

Bought one at Walmart and still have it but it's a POS as well. Brakes have almost stopped working.

Also note that I know nothing about bike mechanics and maybe there is a quick and easy way to fix the brakes?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 27, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
:horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:
That's pretty cool

It's pretty bad ass if you have rode with dudes who have their own product lines.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 09, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
Anyone interested in buying that Santa Cruz tallboy i've posted a few times on here?