Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 105588 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
And I just KNOW the tick is still going to be there after i get the new crank arm installed.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
you know you need to go the other direction right?  (I forgot about it installing new pedals a week ago)

also what kind of bike?  did the pedal have an allen key on the back side of the "screw", on the inside of the crank arm?  I hope you don't have to get a new bottom bracket because you have hold crappy crank arms.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »
you know you need to go the other direction right?  (I forgot about it installing new pedals a week ago)

also what kind of bike?  did the pedal have an allen key on the back side of the "screw", on the inside of the crank arm?  I hope you don't have to get a new bottom bracket because you have hold crappy crank arms.

It's a Giant (SRAM crank arms), and yeah everyone knows the LH goes opposite. It had an allen head on the inside, but it was just too tight to do any good.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
what kind of bike again?  I thought you said some sort of hybrid right? do you know if they are press fit arms or what SRAM "series" they are?
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
I already fixed it. They were sram vias. My local shop had a generic replacement
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:28:19 PM by michigancat »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:47 AM »
I already fixed it. They were sram vias. My local shop had a generic replacement
thats good news.  I had an FSA crank that was press fit that I didn't torque correctly and killed.  Nice opportunity to upgrade, but quite the opportunity cost.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 28, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »
I rode the river trails in Lawrence today.  It was in great shape.  It's an 8 mile loop,but it's a great work out...feels maybe twice as long as an 8 mile road ride...maybe harder than that.   It's not grueling in that you are constantly worried you are going to splatter your brains across a rocky trail, but more just the ups and downs and sandy bits that where you out.  It's a ton of fun.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:30 PM »
Did 8 miles on the Shawnee Mission park "green" and "blue" trails tonight.  Those were a bitch.  So rough ridin' rocky and tree root filled.  Not a terribly fun trail, but a very good workout.  I am exhausted.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 04, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
What's the best kind of cycling for building muscle mass in the legs?

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 04, 2016, 10:39:05 AM »

Google 'Track Cyclist Quads'

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
My bike was stolen :curse:

Tips on where I should get a new one from (Kansas City). It doesn't have to be top line, just a moderte biker here. I tend to stick to roads but occasionally go on small, easy trails. My bike needed replacing anyways, just a POS mountain bike from Target I bought like 8 years ago in college

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 04, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »

Tips on where I should get a new one from (Kansas City). It doesn't have to be top line, just a moderte biker here. I tend to stick to roads but occasionally go on small, easy trails. My bike needed replacing anyways, just a POS mountain bike from Target I bought like 8 years ago in college
Next few months are going to be a good time to buy if you can wait a bit; 2016 models are about to come out.

I'd try local shops in your area.  REI people I talked to weren't bad too.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 04, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »

Craigslist

Definitely buy used until you are so balls deep into cycling that you need/want a custom bike built brand new just for you...and then just find a similar used one on Craigslist for 1/3 the cost.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 04, 2016, 01:24:33 PM »
the guys who bike on the path around the lake near me are assfaces. like I'm walking along there with my wife and two year old and rough ridin' lance armstrong comes up behind us at 40 mph screaming "SINGLE FILE, ON THE LEFT!" like I GAF. I'm going to end up tossing a few bikes in the lake this summer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 04, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »
so what I'm saying is if I toss what appears to be a nice one in the lake I'll send you the coordinates and you can come fish it out

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Any cyclists?
« Reply #566 on: March 04, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »
the guys who bike on the path around the lake near me are assfaces. like I'm walking along there with my wife and two year old and rough ridin' lance armstrong comes up behind us at 40 mph screaming "SINGLE FILE, ON THE LEFT!" like I GAF. I'm going to end up tossing a few bikes in the lake this summer.

Next time yell back "you dropped something!" Like real loud so he hears it. When he stops and asks what it was or what you saw just be like "something just fell off your bike around the back wheel."  It will drive him nuts wondering what broke or whatever, and it will rough ridin' ruin his whole ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 04, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »

Next time yell back "you dropped something!" Like real loud so he hears it. When he stops and asks what it was or what you saw just be like "something just fell off your bike around the back wheel."

I was thinking at this point he would throw the cyclist off his bike onto the ground but driving him nuts is pretty good too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:09:05 PM by michigancat »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 04, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
what did I drop?

you're entire bike and face :throwsbothinthelake:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »
You need a spike strip to throw down for these asshats. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2016, 06:22:43 AM »
I love riding fast on my road bike but the multi use path isn't the place. Need to work on your flying clothes line.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Any cyclists?
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »
Tried out the Swope mountain bike trails today, did the easy and the intermediate stuff up the hill with some harder core guys.  I loved it.  It's windy and fast like Lawrence but with lots of elevation changes.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:16:47 PM by Pete »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
I didn't retighten my crank arm after a couple miles. :-/

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
Tried out the Swope mountain bike trails today, did the easy and the intermediate stuff up the hill with some harder core guys.  I loved it.  It's windy and fast like Lawrence but with lots of elevation changes.

Swope is great. Some really technical, good riding to be had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

:Wha:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 13, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »
got a hard fought 41 miles in today.  3/4 of the ride was into a 18-20 mph headwind or caught up in nasty crosswinds.  i feel like the effort i put in today could have taken me 70 miles on a nice day.